TEAC HA-501 Headphone Amp
Dec 16, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #151 of 202
Yeah, I knew I shouldn't recomend other amps at a HA-501 thread, but the fact remains that Hex owners should look at the $1600-$2000 tier amps. Again, in my opinion, there's nothing on the market from $1200 below to beat HA-501.

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #152 of 202
P.S. - Not to rain on your party, but if you own a Metrum, than I think HA-501, although a big fighter and price/performance value, is not up to the task. You'll be better off with the likes of SPL Phonitor 2 or Bryston BHA. Just my 5 cents.

yes, I know. but must confess I'm not really and HP guy :blush: (... if not on the go) so I better start with this Teac and see
bookmarked the Phonitor, though :wink: thanks

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #153 of 202
Are you buying it new or second hand? I am in the N.Y. Long Island area and bought mine locally at American Audiophile who is an authorized dealer has been there for many years, a very interesting store.

Still don't know: Monday I'll visit an official Teac dealer's shop here nearby (Milan, Italy) and look at both a silver ex-demo and a brand new black unit
price is good even on the brand new one :)

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #156 of 202
very first few minutes with this amplifier :)

dedicated Mac mini running Roon > Metrum Hex dac (USB in) > Teac HA-501 (RCA in) > B&O H6 headphones

good+ detail (not at all clinical, as I did read somewhere and was worried about)
damping knob works indeed! still unsure if, with these 32Ohm headphones, I like it better on "mid" or halfway between mid and low
what I wasn't expecting at all is... a "quite" warm-ish sound signature :-/  (hope it cools down with burn-in. probably better, and open back, headphones would help here ;-p )
and... "quite" bassy too :-|

dead quiet even with volume cranked up all the way (and nothing playing, obviously :wink: )

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #157 of 202
oh... btw... mine has, on the back, a further  on/off switch for "Power Saving mode"
haven't seen it in any picture before. not even on Teac product page

according to the user manual if enabled it will turn the unit off after 30-45 minutes no audio is coming in
then you have to use the front on/off switch to turn it off, first, then on again :rolleyes:

opted for off :p

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #159 of 202
ok, went from RCA to XLR between dac and amplifier and... everything, instantly, "opened up" and "tightened". every trace of "softness" is gone, everything has more punch and there's a whole lot more more of fine detail

*WOW*!!! :)

I'm using Kimber Timbre, as in my main (non HP) system

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #160 of 202
Question about this amp.. does disconnecting headphones affect the line-out function, ie, does line-out work whether there are phones connected or not?

Thanks (I couldn't find the answer to this in the users manual)

Jan 1, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #162 of 202
Interesting.  So, if the switch is set to Variable and headphones are plugged in, then the volume control will adjust both the phones and the line-out volumes at the same time.  Does that sound right..?

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #164 of 202
Question about this amp.. does disconnecting headphones affect the line-out function, ie, does line-out work whether there are phones connected or not?

Thanks (I couldn't find the answer to this in the users manual)

I use the fixed out to daisy chain the signal to another group of amps. Unplugging the headphone mutes the headphone out of the TEAC but does not effect the fixed output in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back