Tea-Fi?
Feb 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #271 of 750
So - what was the secret brewing tips?

Basically that most people use far too much tea and don't let it steep near long enough. Having experimented of late, I agree with him. (It's the reverse of coffee)

Most of the caffeine comes out almost immediately - one trick he uses is to steep it for 10-30 seconds, dump it out and the steep it a second time in fresh water if he wants less caffeine without affecting the flavour.

Dark/rich teas might benefit from steeping at near boiling, but most teas aren't as temperature dependant as many people think.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #272 of 750
For my delicate green teas, I'll pour a little warm water from the pot inside my Gaiwan and swirl it about, gettin' it warm and gettin' it right.
biggrin.gif
 Then dump it and place my Jasmine Dragon Pearls or Silver Needles inside with a little more warm water. And swirl some more, as I take in the aroma. After a few moments of sensual awakening, I'll pour that sample of warm water out and proceed to fill my bowl with warm water and steep. When that's complete, I transfer my delight into a second Gaiwan for sipping, as to not over steep.

Ahhh...another satisfying serving
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #273 of 750
I live in Alaska, and you would be amazed by all of the herbs and tea leaves that grow out in the wild. In my back yard, I have bushels of labrador tea that grows freely in the summer. I've come to adore this much more than much else I've tasted, along with a hint of peppermint to boost it's flavor. The labrador on its own has a light piney flavor with a mildly sweet aftertaste. I'm experimenting with it now, looking to see what else might go good with it. the trouble is that it's easy to overpower. Any suggestions?

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #274 of 750
Quote:
I live in Alaska, and you would be amazed by all of the herbs and tea leaves that grow out in the wild. In my back yard, I have bushels of labrador tea that grows freely in the summer. I've come to adore this much more than much else I've tasted, along with a hint of peppermint to boost it's flavor. The labrador on its own has a light piney flavor with a mildly sweet aftertaste. I'm experimenting with it now, looking to see what else might go good with it. the trouble is that it's easy to overpower. Any suggestions?

Less tea and less steeping time.

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #276 of 750
Feb 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #277 of 750
Ah a Tea thread, how nice.
Wow, this thread was started in 06, lol.

Most teens I suppose aren't really into tea's. i don't like beer, quite interesting to say tea > beer for me. i've never really gotten into wine's either or maybe i've never tried the good ones.

i don't know about the great tea's out there but i drink St. Dalfour's peppermint and strawberry tea (theyre really cheap - 3 bucts a box) and they taste really good in my opinion, aroma is strong, I'm happy with it. really nice along with a good book or wonderful music :wink:

just tea bags, i like them without milk. quite light, so milk isn't needed. i leave them in longer than 3 minutes for a stronger taste, idk if thats normal but thats how i do it lol. hot water n sugar, voila. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #278 of 750
dt880smile.png
 How can anyone enjoy tea travelling @ Mach 71?! Great to see you on board with tea. On a side note, milk kills off the health bang inside of tea. Has something to do with absorption...

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #279 of 750
Oh I didn't know that, well glad to hear. i dont like milk in tea's, sorta spoils the natural feel. as for coffee, it helps but still i prefer without.

I used to have some coffee craze eventho i always preferred tea but it didn't last long, i've been liking tea for quite some time now and so do gandalf. i got my big tea mug at a local trader for 1$ + , the wall of the cup is twice the size of a normal one, quite a good deal. maybe i should take a picture ahahar.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #280 of 750
Joining the discussion here as a Tea-fier. Favorite are green and jasmine. Loose leaf of course. Tea bags are for suckers. 

I keep it simple most of the time. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #282 of 750
I just ordered tea from http://www.dellaterrateas.com/ and I got the try me packs and I ordered a total of 15 teas! I'll tell you guys how they are when they arrive. They all sound really good and there pretty crazy
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #283 of 750
Great 
smiley_thumb.gif
 to hear, wolfetan44! I just logged back on to order some green tea. Uncertain at this writing who I'm gonna pick...

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #284 of 750
I'd recommend Butiki Tea's http://www.butikiteas.com/Green.html People love them. Like a lot.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #285 of 750
Thats if your looking for a traditional green tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back