TDK MA600 - Info, Impression, and Appreciation Thread
Jan 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

djvkool

Headphoneus Supremus
New Technology from TDK - this one is using a magnetic-armature driver.

According to Currawong, this IEM is the second best on show after JVC HA-FXZ200 (Autumn 2012 headphone festival in Tokyo)

Mine is on the way from Amazon.jp and also ericp10's, so expect a first impression from either of us shortly.

The following are some information and pictures from Amazon.jp

[size=medium] Product Features[/size]

[size=small]
  1. TH-ECMA600BK: Part No.
  2. Type magnetic armature Model:
  3. Plug: 3.5mm stereo mini plug
  4. :15-22000Hz frequency band playing
  5. 112dB/mw: sound pressure sensitivity
  6. Code: Silver Alloy (silver alloy)
  7. 1.1m: Cord Length
  8. Accessories: ear tips (S, M, L), porch
  9. 60Ω: input impedance
[/size]

[size=small]arbud Stereo Headphones CLEF-MA[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]   to realize contour presence and clear sound even in noisy environment by designing high sound pressure, MA newly developed (magnetic armature) [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]   Earbud Stereo Headphones CLEF-MA equipped with a driver (TH-ECMA600BK )    【Product Features】achieve outstanding sound expressive power even in noisy    is the armature driver of one pole type, with a (magnetic armature) driver MA new development.    Is created by the diaphragm and magnet high magnetic force (an alloy of iron and nickel) permalloy, the sound of high sound pressure sensitivity,    claims the presence and contour of the sound was clear even in noisy environments. High durability against external shock    for one simple structure achieves superior impact resistance magnet. Also, in order to contribute to the power-saving, reducing the battery consumption of music player. Year mechanism with movable holder    with adjustable position, the movable holder mechanism by 15 ° up and down year in accordance with the shape of the ear. Realized the hold that a comfortable and stable fit. Silver alloy code adopted    adopted a code (silver alloy) Silver alloy blended with highly conductive silver copper wire. To achieve high-quality sound.    Braided tangle resistant high-strength code (type clothing knitting).[/size]

B00A9Q2OXG_1.jpg

B00A9Q2OXG_2.jpg

B00A9Q2OXG_3.jpg

B00A9Q2OXG_4.jpg

ericp10 posted the following in the BA200 thread, originated from Japanese Premium Headphone Guide Winter

TDK TH-ECMA600
Code:
Code:
 Balance (FR) Deep Bass |---|---|---■---|---|---| Mids / Highs Soundstage Deep |---|---■---|---|---|---| Wide Presentation Powerful |---|---■---|---|---|---| Delicate Rock ★★★★★ Jazz ★★★★☆ Classical ★★★★ Club ★★★★

The following are some reviews from Amazon.jp - the English are a bit all over the place, thanks to Google translate 
wink_face.gif

[size=small](Second break) and go to the festival to find a headphone headphones Next, I got to this code of headphone headphone that has been a long favorite cut off abruptly. [/size][size=small][Point of purchase] [/size][size=small]1, initially wanted a BA type headphones, but went around to watch, shock-sensitive feature is a weakness of BA, the thing wildly treat yourself without feeling like there is in the booth, also taught me regret giving up that high threshold. [/size][size=small]This headphone strong impact driver has a structure that is similar to the BA, however. [/size][size=small](Who says docent) two strong break the code because it woven in silver alloy. [/size][size=small]Third break will be avoided. [/size][size=small]3, the design is interesting. [/size][size=small](And have high casually, I think ... and possible appeal) [/size][size=small]4, was a favorite sound. [/size][size=small]J POP comparedーis the center of the view, and a dynamic vocal voice or BA, hear more clearly and distinctly (mind you). [/size][size=small]On the other hand, when compared with dynamic or even double or dual driver BA, bass and treble, but felt weak, or is free from classical or jazz, I do not need to get there. [/size][size=small]Compared to the dynamic type of the same price range and single BA, has been able to reproduce delicate. [/size][size=small]I thought it was 5, the cost performance is excellent, and about 10 000 yen to. [/size][size=small][TIP] [/size][size=small]when commuting on the train ※, I have been listening to the conversation of N ● K, I feel that the teacher's voice can be heard clearly than before I will. [/size][size=small]※ squeak feel of the cable is slightly larger but, be careful if the maneuverability, it is the level which does not care. [/size][size=small]You want to have headphones so fine, as a step UP from the headphones in their 2,000 yen, more than 10 000 for persons ... are, I think a little advice on headphones.[/size]

Earphone is using a new type of driver that magnetic armature. 
The sound quality was impressive just like the middle of what is called a dynamic and balanced armature. 
I thought that at first as it's opposite the bus and train sound that is heard even in noisy properly sell, you may wish to stop so many unexpected leak sound so good I am. Coating of the code that are easy to handle in the fabric, such as a practical mechanism holder ear, maneuverability is pretty good, but I stand out a little color. I do not think is a bad thing ...... cheaper earphones good? Little more. I want to add one more thing about ☆ If around 5,000 yen.

I think I bought it because it was a strange type earphone, sound and what do you. Balance as a whole is comparatively flat. Bass is pretty tight in stiff. Is massive enough, but I also think a solution to fewer little. There is a distinctive overhang at mid-high range. Band sound is not audible though. Here is a little strange. It does not get mad sounds. Although I know or hear the sound of the hi-hat, but it does not seem out of the ultra-high frequency over 12,3 kHz. I will not respond to the equalizer. Not suitable for people to focus on exit. It is a little narrowband. Unique tone of mid-high range is great, especially from mid-range vocal is unique. There is not harsh but there is tension in the region, and unusual clarity. I mean ... not like a magic knife Sasara is not a sound but a so-called Hi-Fi, it is a pleasant sound overall. Even for those who have a high level machine, you will be able to recommend one to try. I thought the sound before you buy and I wonder which is similar to the type BA, since it is not even similar to type D type BA is the feeling you listen, you can be the proper use. It is good in its own way sound insulation, sound leakage is pretty awful. I do not know from where you are leaking, I will not change the volume with your finger blocking the earpiece. Although I sound becomes extremely small and usually blocked. People use in public places may be suspect. I thought of going lower ★ one, so I leave it as is. I lowered one too ★ PS. As can be seen in the song also blocked until the earpiece at the volume you are a casual ear where no noise, it is difficult to use even by train at the library. I do not think there is no earphone is not only used in the workplace (one cabin) or a house, there is still difficulty in practicality.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 42
OK so my first impression is pretty much aligned with Ericp10's below, most of my short impression below will consist of what I like, and what I don't like, I will then write a review in detail after a few weeks of usage.

So once again, my impression are relative, and done according to my taste in sound signature.

What I like
  1. Bass - nice bottom end, one of the bassiest single-armature type IEM that I've ever heard. Good impact (improves significantly with amping), although to my ear the bass rolls off at about 20hz region. I would say it has more bass than XBA-1, and slightly less impact than UE600
  2. Mids - this is the strength of this IEM, vocals are nice and forward
  3. Soundstage - very very spacious and 3D
  4. Comfort - don't let the size fools you, this IEM is super comfortable, shallow fitting, and that orange wing flap thingy sits nicely in the 'bowl' of your ear, to stop it from falling out, I used this briefly for running and this is where the wing flap thingy does it job, holding it in your ear, so this would be suitable for gym IEM.

What I don't like
  1. Treble - to my ear the treble is weird, cymbals sounds like they are wrapped in paper bag, and it also gives me shrill on some tracks
  2. Microphonic - very bad, even wearing it over ear still produce a noticeable level.
  3. Isolation - average.

How does this compare to other single-armature type IEM? - IMHO, I prefer this than XBA-1, Feels PRO900, and A151 - though I still prefer UE600 over this.

People who doesn't like hot and aggressive treble will like this IEM, the bass/mid/soundstage combo is definitely nice.

Price is around ¥6000 from Amazon Japan, which is roughly about USD$68

Ericp10's first impression

Okay. Hmmm? First thing is that these little buggers have bass! May have more bass than the IE800 and the BA200 in quantity (the jury is still out on quality). It's a bass and mids-forward IEM, yet with treble extension too. The IE800's and BA200's basses are more refined (actually those two earphones have a more refined sound, period, at this point). The earphones are very sturdy though with the rubber stablizer connect to it. There is a definite power to the sound. With that stated, these need some serious burn in before any conclusive thoughts can be made. Electrical guitars sound amazing in these. At the moment, I have to say the IE800 and BA200 are miles ahead, but there seems to be potential and platform to build upon in getting better.

A few more quick thoughts about the ECMA600:

1. These are some of the most comfortable IEMs I've worn. Those fuchsia flexible silcon/rubber ear stop thingies do what they are suppose to do (for my ears anyway).
  1. The silver/copper cord is quite microphonic. If you're moving around a lot you might not enjoy these.
  2. Do NOT judge these if you only listened for 15 minutes or less. The IEMs get better, and the get better quickly, but I admit thinking "what in the hell did I buy" in the first 15 minutes.
  3. Bass is very nice, spacious and and and nearly 3-Dish in these IEMs. Electric guitars and drums sound quite good, but vocals a little recessed right now. Mids sound fine but I'm expecting better.
  4. These are still less refined than the BA200 and IE800, but not as much as I initially thought. Again, I'm waiting for more burn in.
  5. These are suppose to be 60 ohms, but my iPod Nano drives them quite well (you can't turn the volume all the way up without blowing your ears out).

Okay, let me throw some power on it with my Fiio amp and DAC. You really can't look at these as a BA that need no burn in. The are more on the dynamic side in my opinion and need a good burn in, although it is a armature hybrid similar to the e-Q7. The e-Q7 doesn't touch it on power sounding and bass though (from recollection).

Still hard for me to catch the pulse of this earphone here. With over 20 hours of burn in I'm left scratching my head. It's not awful by any stretch of the imagination, but it still doesn't reach the refinement and smooth sounding beauty of its big cousins, the IE800 and the BA200. I don't like its clear silicon stock tips on it (like these tips on the FXZ100 though), and it failed miserably with just about every tip I've tried on it. I have the Senn double-flange on it now, and it seems to like that tip. Bass is good, mids are nice (especially for electric and acoustic guitar), but piano seems to be a bit recessed and vocals. The wrong tips and there's a lot of sibilance in vocals. It can sound 3-Dish in the bass region but then sometimes if sounds like something is missing elsewhere, but I don't quite know what yet. I'm just going to throw some more burn in time at it, but right now it is leaving me indifferent. As much as I would like to hype this new technology, I can't. I'm actually more impressed with the ATH-CKN50 carbon nanotubes micro driver earphone. That's where I'm at right now. Oh, the fit is great for me though.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 42
Yes, this sound should be interesting base on reviews already. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 42
Subscribed. Really looking forward to both of your reviews. If my TDK-Mt300s and the multitude of praises for the IE800 and BA200 are of any indication then this could be a wonderful IEM. Been considering the BA200 for a while now, might be good I've held out this long. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:
Subscribed. Really looking forward to both of your reviews. If my TDK-Mt300s and the multitude of praises for the IE800 and BA200 are of any indication then this could be a wonderful IEM. Been considering the BA200 for a while now, might be good I've held out this long. 

Yep, TDK has done brilliantly in their BA-based and dual-dynamic IEM, so hopefully this new IEM based on new technology would be as good as their other ones

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 42
Had my eye on those graphs for a while. Poor, but hot horrible results. More sibilant and more rolled off in the treble than ER4S. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 42
The way I read the FR graph, it will have a somewhat similar signature to B2, I can normally withstand a bit of sibilance.

Can't wait to try it, my shipment just left Tenso today, so I should get it within the next 4 days or so 
happy_face1.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:
The way I read the FR graph, it will have a somewhat similar signature to B2, I can normally withstand a bit of sibilance.

Can't wait to try it, my shipment just left Tenso today, so I should get it within the next 4 days or so 
happy_face1.gif

Except for the upper treble range...  The little to no extension.  

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 42
I trust no graphs. I trust my ears. Either I like it or I don't. And rolled off treble won't bother me anyway.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #12 of 42
So on my way to the post office to pick the ECMA600 (official name of the TDK earphone), and the CKN50 (AT). Impressions to come later.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 42
The TDK ECMA600 is here in the office with me. I'll get a chance to give some first impressions in about 30 minutes to a hour from now.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #14 of 42
Okay. Hmmm? First thing is that these little buggers have bass! May have more bass than the IE800 and the BA200 in quantity (the jury is still out on quality). It's a bass and mids-forward IEM, yet with treble extension too. The IE800's and BA200's basses are more refined (actually those two earphones have a more refined sound, period, at this point). The earphones are very sturdy though with the rubber stablizer connect to it. There is a definite power to the sound. With that stated, these need some serious burn in before any conclusive thoughts can be made. Electrical guitars sound amazing in these. At the moment, I have to say the IE800 and BA200 are miles ahead, but there seems to be potential and platform to build upon in getting better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back