TDK EB900 Short review
Dec 15, 2010 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wtfwtflol

Head-Fier
This is a quick review of the TDK EB900 by a basshead, don't expect very detailed writing about the sound quality.

I've been buying cheap, sub-$100 earphones since I had my first real mp3 player 5 years ago, trying to get the ones with most bass. Started with many cheap earphones, then I found the CX300 and these were considered the "ultra-bassy earphones" for a long time, until I got the Playaz N1 early this year, then my perception of what is bass changed completly.  Of course I bought lot more earphones during this whole time, each bassier than the last one. I also got the Trubines which were dissapointing. So I knew I needed new earphones, on a limited budget, I had only 3 choices: The TDK, sony XB40EX and the M6, and got the first one after reading many reviews.

Pros:
-CRAZY BASS
-Very small and lightweight
-Cheap at $36
-Braided, tangle free cable

Cons:
-Cheap construction, both earpieces broke into two pieces in the first ear tip change. Fixed with superglue. See picture below
-Cable noise, a lot.

The other reviewers were not lying when they said your head could explode with the bass, and it is amazing how much bass these little earphones put out with the tiny driver. They get very loud with no distorsion and the bass is still present at low volumes. The overal sound is pretty dark, and the mids sound "noisy". But they sounded much better when I set the ipad EQ to Loudness, normally this will make the earphone sound like crap. After trying many tips I still couldnt get a good seal, the included COMPLY memory foam tips are great but even when expanded they tend to get loose after some time. Until I finally used the medium tips that came with the turbines, perfect seal, no loss of bass and increased sharpness compared to foam tips.

I can't say much more about the SQ since I'm no audiophile, other reviews said they were muddy and nothing else can be heard when the bass plays, but the sound really changes when you get the correct tip and EQ setting.

Pair the TDK EB900 with the Fiio E5 and you'll get great sound and even more bass.
biggrin.gif

Here I number some earphones, in a scale of 0-10 based on the amount of bass (not proportional):

0- Altec Lansing UHP336, supossed to be superfi.3 clones, but no bass at all, really.
4- CX300, nothing really bad, nothing really good bout them.
5- Monster turbines, great overall sound but not nearly as bassy as their name implies.
7- Playaz N1, less detailed then the turbines but way more bass.
9- TDK EB900, amazing bass, sound quality not the best but definetly not muffled mids and highs as some reviews says.
10- UE super.fi5 EB, best earphones I tried, but they are so big and uncomfortable you cant use them for more then 10 mins.

The amount of bass in the TDK is comparable to the super.fi5EB, and this one is actually usable and stays put even after some running. So if you are the average music listener who wants a inexpensive, comfortable earphone with huge amounts of bass, this is the earphone for you.

Pictures

What the... they just went appart with the minimal effort!!! But nothing a drop of superlgue can't fix.
Note how tiny is the driver, 8.5mm only!

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 3
I have a pair (which haven't broke, yet...) and the basses are totally uncontrolled. They're OK when I want a bass session, which is not very frequent, but not as all terrain phones.

This said, for the price they're OK if you are a basshead or at least you love basses. They include a pair of Comply tips and the cable is very good looking... and microphonic as heck. Moreover, due to the design, it's difficult to wear them over the ear.

I wanted them for the gym, but since cable is coated with fabric and in the gym I wear the cable under the t-shirt, they ended up soaking in sweat. Not a good phone for workout, unfortunately.

For the same price there are other models with plenty of bass but with better cable and design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back