TDK BA100 Impressions/Discussion Thread
Dec 11, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #17 of 56
Hi

I'm planning on getting a new pair of IEMs to replace my dead PL50.. I was about to place an order for Mee A151 until I saw this review...

How do these TDK compare to Mee A151? Anyone listened to both of them?

Thanks!

Edited:

Ohhhh, never mind ! Just checked and the guys at newegg where selling them at $50 but unfortunatelty they don't ship internationally.. so I think I'll go for the Mee M151

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #18 of 56
This might be moot since the deal expires tomorrow and I may choose something else, but is it safe to assume mid centric means ear piercing mids and nothing else?  I'm scared of iems being described as having prominent mids since my incident with uhp336
frown.gif
.  Those were truly horrible.  Sounded like there was a bandpass filter on them
eek.gif
.  (ok, not horrible for cheap iems, but they were pretty painful to listen to
tongue.gif
).

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #19 of 56
Quote:
This might be moot since the deal expires tomorrow and I may choose something else, but is it safe to assume mid centric means ear piercing mids and nothing else?  I'm scared of iems being described as having prominent mids since my incident with uhp336
frown.gif
.  Those were truly horrible.  Sounded like there was a bandpass filter on them
eek.gif
.  (ok, not horrible for cheap iems, but they were pretty painful to listen to
tongue.gif
).

Absolutely not. It simply means that the midrange takes the forefront, while the highs and lows are certainly not missing in action, but merely not as prominent as the mids. While I haven't heard the uhp336, the only in-ear I've heard to date, which I can say with certainty sounds as if it's mostly midrange and little else, is the CK100, and even then, it's anything but ear piercing. If you haven't had the pleasure of owning a mid-tier or top-tier mid-centric in-ear, such as the RE262, SM3, SE530/SE535, and e-Q7 (among others), you'd be surprised with just how clear, detailed, and refined their midrange is. Similarly, the BA100's midrange is anything but piercing, and is instead, warm and smooth, slightly upfront but never aggressive, with good overall detail and clarity (with their price in mind, of course), and I'm sure other BA100 owners would tell you no different. 
smile.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #20 of 56
UPS sucks.  I was supposed to have my BA100s delivered today and they have yet to arrive.  The latest update on the tracking number states "19:34 - Attempt made, 2nd attempt to me made tomorrow."  I call major BS on this one!  I've been home for the past two hours and it's 20:24 right now.  I know it's the busy season for home deliveries, but that's just a bold faced lie.  The driver got tired and went home.

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #21 of 56
Quote:
UPS sucks.  I was supposed to have my BA100s delivered today and they have yet to arrive.  The latest update on the tracking number states "19:34 - Attempt made, 2nd attempt to me made tomorrow."  I call major BS on this one!  I've been home for the past two hours and it's 20:24 right now.  I know it's the busy season for home deliveries, but that's just a bold faced lie.  The driver got tired and went home.

I've experienced the same with USPS. Funny story, actually. Throughout the day, I'm always seated besides my window, where I can oversee anyone at the door, in case a knock goes unnoticed when my earphones are plugged in. Well, I spotted the USPS truck once, and to my surprise, the mailman pulled into the driveway, got out of the truck empty handed, walked up to the door, and without a knock/bell, left a notice at the door, and drove right off. I walked down to the door, saw the notice, and read "failed delivery attempt." I simply laughed it off, as he always makes a u-turn at the end of the street before he's finished his route. I walked over to my mailbox, knowing I hadn't missed him just yet, and sure enough, on his way back around he pulled up right besides me. With a smile on my face, I politely asked him, "I believe you have something for me?" He replied, "I barely missed you there buddy!" He walked towards the back of the truck, and begin sorting through the many packages, until he located mine and handed it right to me, haha! Can't say I wasn't disappointed, but I let him have the benefit of the doubt, and assumed he must have had a very long, tiring day, being that my neighborhood is his last stop, at around 6PM EST each day. 
tongue.gif

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #23 of 56
Am I the only one who dislikes them? These are the most expensive headphones I currently own, but it sounds really distorted compared to even my M6. It doesn't even come close to comparing with my DT-770s. I think it may be the guitars that are just ruining them for me. They just sound so terrible. I'm using a HotAudio DAC Destroyer -> Corda Headsix to play them and I use 320 kbps songs.

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #24 of 56
I've received these for a couple of days now, ordered them from newegg the day the deal was announced. thought they would be a good bargain for decent mid-range IEM. I didn't know what to expect from these, after reading i2ehan's review, i was having rather high expectation for these. I have to admit, i'm such a newbie at describing sound, it's not even funny. I have no idea what midrange is, or what to listen for.

Upon listening them, i was slightly disappointed. i started with stock mid-size silicones tip, then replaced it with Shure Olives(my favorite tip), and noticed with more bass effect with olives. However, the disappointment came from the fact that, i spent a couple of hours listening to The Black Keys' latest album, El Camino over the weekend while vaccuming, and when i tried to listen to the same album with BA100, i just don't hear the same..."clarity", or is it precision as the HF2?

I have a question for i2ehan, when you say the BA100 is great for vocal and its midrange is its strength, can you recommend me what music i can listen to understand this? Thanks.

These are still a lot better than my $15 Meelectric M9 and V-Moda Faze, BA100 seems more, precise, and less muddy, which i liked.
I guess i've just been spoiled by HF2.

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #25 of 56
Quote:
Am I the only one who dislikes them? These are the most expensive headphones I currently own, but it sounds really distorted compared to even my M6. It doesn't even come close to comparing with my DT-770s. I think it may be the guitars that are just ruining them for me. They just sound so terrible. I'm using a HotAudio DAC Destroyer -> Corda Headsix to play them and I use 320 kbps songs.

Hmm, there are quite a few variables to consider, and I don't find my own distorted, nor would I say they sound terrible. Could it be a bad fit, maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertasdfg24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Upon listening them, i was slightly disappointed. i started with stock mid-size silicones tip, then replaced it with Shure Olives(my favorite tip), and noticed with more bass effect with olives. However, the disappointment came from the fact that, i spent a couple of hours listening to The Black Keys' latest album, El Camino over the weekend while vaccuming, and when i tried to listen to the same album with BA100, i just don't hear the same..."clarity", or is it precision as the HF2?

I have a question for i2ehan, when you say the BA100 is great for vocal and its midrange is its strength, can you recommend me what music i can listen to understand this? Thanks.

In all honesty, comparing them to the Ety's is bound to highlight their flaws, for the Ety's strive to achieve exceptional detail and clarity, while the BA100 presents with a smooth, extremely non-fatiguing presentation. They certainly aren't Ety clear, but for a $50 in-ear, the midrange met my every expectation. Give this track a listen, and see what you make of the vocals, my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back