taylor swift?
Feb 3, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #18 of 59
Feb 3, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #20 of 59
Feb 6, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #23 of 59
If you're not listening to Sugarland and Lady Antebellum...

You should be

I do like the female singer in Lady A.
Hilary .......can't remember her last name?

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #24 of 59

Oh wow!! someone who explained exactly how i feel!! 
  (why am i in an old forum?)

It may be an old forum but nothing has changed with Taylor Swift in the past 5 years!
She still dresses like an Adult Film Star!
And her "singing"? Ummm.........

Are you serious?  Taylor keeps her clothes on, unlike Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Rihanna...all of those look more like hookers/adult film stars than Taylor does.  She has class, the others have ass...that's the difference.  

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #25 of 59
Seems pretty shallow and a pretty young 24.  Not sure if she writes her own music but every song seems about complaining about boys and dating like a high school girl would do.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #26 of 59
  Seems pretty shallow and a pretty young 24.  Not sure if she writes her own music but every song seems about complaining about boys and dating like a high school girl would do.

you must only listen to the singles that are released to the radio stations.  Try listening to the entire album and reading the lyrics.  Most of her songs are not about boys or complaining about boys.  Yes, they might be love centric, but hey, so are Adele's or a bunch of other artists and I don't see people hating on her...you gotta love biased hate.

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #27 of 59
you must only listen to the singles that are released to the radio stations.  Try listening to the entire album and reading the lyrics.  Most of her songs are not about boys or complaining about boys.  Yes, they might be love centric, but hey, so are Adele's or a bunch of other artists and I don't see people hating on her...you gotta love biased hate.

Yeah, i've heard the same thing from Taylor Swift fans that I know...that there's a big difference between the overall music on her albums vs the singles that are released.

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #28 of 59
Yeah, i've heard the same thing from Taylor Swift fans that I know...that there's a big difference between the overall music on her albums vs the singles that are released.

pretty much.  Take RED - the stuff released to radio was all the shellback & martin stuff, the weakest songs on the album imho.  Lyrical masterpieces like All too well are where Taylor is at her best.  Or, perhaps treacherous.  The same applies to all of her earlier albums.  

I'm not a one eyed fan - yes, Taylor is vocally weak, but she's not as bad as most people seemingly make out.  It seems to be fun these days to hate on Taylor, despite her being a very decent person.  Her strengths have always been in her songwriting and performance on stage.  I've seen my share of artists live, and from a live spectacle point of view, only Springsteen is in the same league.  

Taylor's main theme is love, granted.  love does not equal ex boyfriend bashing like a few people have said about her.  If you're curious, hop onto YouTube and check out some of her unreleased (and leaked) demo materials from when she was 14, like:

Didn't they (it's about September 11)
me and Britney (reference to Brittany Mack, her best friend from her youth)
Dark Blue Tennessee (about a relationship where the 2 have a bust up and the guy takes his own life and the girl laments about it)
Mandolin (about a young boy who plays a Mandolin at a venue and catches Taylor's eye from a musical point of view)
Brought up that way (a song about a girl and her daddy's hardships bringing her up, based on a true story, although in the true story, the girl dies, Taylor makes it a happy ending her song, cos that's the type of person that she is)
Firefly (about one of her favourite things - fireflies)
This here guitar (with prominent reverb on the guitar, quite unlike anything else in any of her other songs, released or unreleased)
Who I've always been (Taylor vs the TV talent show entrant, where Taylor talks about doing it the hard way when making it into the music business)

They're all easily findable on YouTube.  They show a different light to Taylor.  Remember that these songs were written between the age of 13 an 16, remarkable efforts for such a young person imho.  

I get frustrated when people just hate on Taylor.  Many in the country music genre credit her for the turn around in the genre's sales (when she came to the scene, the country music industry was in the worst slump of 20+ years).  She's brought a lot of people into the country genre, who are buying other country artists.  

And don't make the mistake of thinking that she's a dumb blonde.  She was an A+ student at school, throughout her entire schooling period.  She did her final 2 years in Six months, on the road, from the back seat of her hire car.  She runs her own management company, and she's CEO.  She pulls the strings.  

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #29 of 59
Now that you mention her being smart and in control, I remember seeing her on the Jimmy Fallon show and she was a great guest. I remember thinking that she was really good in the crazy skit that they did. Then jimmy teased her about how she was coming up with ideas long before. I think her appearance was to promote the premier of that recent movie she made with Jeff bridges.

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #30 of 59
Now that you mention her being smart and in control, I remember seeing her on the Jimmy Fallon show and she was a great guest. I remember thinking that she was really good in the crazy skit that they did. Then jimmy teased her about how she was coming up with ideas long before. I think her appearance was to promote the premier of that recent movie she made with Jeff bridges.

Taylor was just being silly.  She has a good comedic touch imho (see her earlier SNL skits).  She's the first person to both host SNL and do the opening monologue I believe [on the same show].  

Taylor actually started out in acting at the age of 9 or thereabouts I believe, and went from there to performing in musicals in her local theatre group.  It was ONLY after the local theatre group closed down that she then moved to music as a creative outlet after several people told her mother Andrea that she should get into singing.  Yes, she starred in a small role for the movie "The Giver" and her co actors had nothing but good things to say about her both as a person, and her acting skills.  

Taylor also won a US national poetry contest at the age of 9 for her poem "Monsters in my closet".  Yes, she won - a national contest with thousands of entrants.  She also wrote her first book at the age of 12 titled "girl named girl" (it remains unpublished and no one that I know of has seen the manuscript).  I'd love to get my hands on Monsters in my closet too, but it is also unpublished.  

People might hate on Taylor, but she's a bankable act - Speak Now sold >= 1 million copies in its opening week.  So did RED.  She's only the 4th artist (after Beatles, Rolling Stones & Michael Jackson) to have 3 #1 albums sell more than 5 million copies apiece, in a row (Fearless, Speak Now & RED).  She has had more top 100 and top 10 songs than any other female artist other than Madonna from memory.  And she's been in the industry for a lot lesser period of time.  She had a good run at the grammys, although the past few years have been a bit lean.  RED should have won album of the year, but alas, the Grammys must have felt guilty for not awarding a dance album as album of the year for 30+ years.  Sympathy votes aren't good imho.  There's no way Daft Punk's album was better than RED.  Hell, RED sold 3x more albums in the opening week than Daft Punk sold in the year since release of their album!  It spawned 1 track that hit the top 40, against 5 or 6 singles from RED.  And lyrically, Daft Punk's album doesn't even remotely compare.  I'm not a fan of dance music at the best of times, I find it very repetitive and boring.  I guess, each to their own.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back