Tascam US-144 - Async USB?
May 13, 2009 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Tachikoma

Headphoneus Supremus
If you do a quick search on audiogon, you'll find posts by Steve Nugent claiming that the Tascam runs on an async USB interface.

Anyway, how does one confirm that its async? I'm trying SysNucleus USBTrace, and all I see are ISOCH_TRANSFER requests (in fairness, I see the same with the Audigy 2 NX which also supposedly, runs on async).

May 14, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do a quick search on audiogon, you'll find posts by Steve Nugent claiming that the Tascam runs on an async USB interface.

Anyway, how does one confirm that its async? I'm trying SysNucleus USBTrace, and all I see are ISOCH_TRANSFER requests (in fairness, I see the same with the Audigy 2 NX which also supposedly, runs on async).

It's definitely Async USB. I would not be able to use it in Mode 2 with the Pace-Car if it wasn't. It is based on the USB interface code of Ploytec, which is used in a number of devices. Its a custom implementation.

Steve N.

May 14, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also getting this on my M-Audio, it uses the TUSB3200C chip : Texas Instruments - Redirect

This product uses Adaptive mode, not async.

Look, it's not async or adaptive that makes the device sound good, its the implementation.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

May 14, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 10
But async would have a lot more potential than adaptive, wouldn't it? Anyway, thanks for the informative replies
smily_headphones1.gif

On a somewhat off-topic note, I found that the 1.11 firmware/drivers work a lot better than the 1.12 drivers in terms of susceptibility to pops and clicks.

May 14, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But async would have a lot more potential than adaptive, wouldn't it? Anyway, thanks for the informative replies
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, it has the potential to be better, but at higher cost. At least two clocks are required and automatic selection between them. If you are using Superclock4, then it's $600 rather than $300.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

May 15, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how it compares to EMU 0404 USB which is also async.

If EMU uses an external power supply, it is probably better. The Tascam uses the power from the USB cable. This is fine, when used with the Pace-Car, but not by itself.

Steve N.

May 15, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it has the potential to be better, but at higher cost. At least two clocks are required and automatic selection between them. If you are using Superclock4, then it's $600 rather than $300.

First, nobody is going to buy your stupid Pace-Car hack for a $149 USB device. Second, this guy has no interest in that thing, so why do you keep bringing it up?

Moderators...I thought this guy was already banned for trying to turn this place into Empirical Audio's Snake Oil Emporium?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back