TANNOY speakers
Apr 27, 2006 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

greenhorn

Headphoneus Supremus
I am searching for some good speakers to pair with a vintage Marantz preamp/amp system (preamp: Model 3250; amp: Model 170DC).

I have listened to this amp/preamp combination with a pair of vintage Tannoy speakers and I liked what I heard
biggrin.gif

Is Tannoy still a highly-regarded speaker manufacturer? If so, towards what current model should I direct my researches?

Of course, I would not mind to buy an older model either.

Thanks.

Apr 27, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 5
Yes... I've listened to some Tannoys. IMHO, their Eyris series is still on par with the likes of B&W 700s series. I really liked the Tannoy tweeters' sonic signature - I recall listening to a track with flutes and those sounded really vivid (you can hear the "air" being blown).

I would check out Tannoys.

Apr 27, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 5
I have a pair of Tannoy Fusion 4 speakers and for the price they are really amazing. I have found, and a few others have shared the same view, that the fusion series beats out the B&W 600 line easily. My dad owns the fusions and the older mercury mx2 monitors. They sound great with his vintage rotel and onkyo equipment.

The saturn series were truly great and so are the eyris.

Apr 28, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 5
I own Tannoy Eyris DC3 (dual concentric, list $2800/pair) speakers and they're excellent. Much preferred them to the Martin Logan Aeon and JM Labs Profile 918. Very musical, very balanced from top to bottom, great imaging. From what I've read you should go for the dual concentric models; though I've yet to hear any Tannoys without the DC drivers.

I started a thread on the Eyris speakers here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=Eyris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back