Tampa Florida meet, Nov 19th
Nov 17, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #316 of 349
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Is anyone expected to bring an amp with balanced headphone outputs, and is there a real need for me to schlepp the Meridian? If so, I will bring the 588 and the balanced headphones.

Aaron ... I have Blue Dragon Balanced Senn cables, so if there is a balanced output amp there, we'll hear it. One of my DACs has balanced outs, so if someone is desparate to hear balanced Senn's, they're covered.

As to the Meridian 588 - great source, but old news - not worth the schlepp, imho. We've had mine here at previous meets, so most have heard one. In addition - word out - a Cary 306/200 kicks the 588's butt up one side of the street and down the other, and said Cary will be in attendance.

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #317 of 349
Gene...I beg to differ. I traded in my 306/200 for my G08, and that was after weeks of intense listening sessions. It's quite obvious that southern crackers don't know diddily squat about sound
wink.gif
If I had my druthers, I'd take a big ol' G08 over the Cary. You just like the Cary better because it was made in the South
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, the only reason that I asked was because there was a request to compare it to the Eastsound E-5.

Nov 17, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #318 of 349
Tube exchange in the SDS is ok, since long warmup is probably not needed. The long warmup need is for the modded Denon 2900. So, we'll see if a tube change provides further improvement. But, lets do it later in the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieo
mikeg,

you may be in for an r-10 tube treat. i'll bring my set down for you to hear & i can hear your set. if you are up for that. besides, what does mikhail know about tubes????

this is going to be a meet!!!! yeah baby!!!!

Nov 17, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #319 of 349
I wonder how well my Exemplar modded Denon 2900 does in comparison to these CDPs.

Quote:

Gene...I beg to differ. I traded in my 306/200 for my G08, and that was after weeks of intense listening sessions. It's quite obvious that southern crackers don't know diddily squat about sound
wink.gif
If I had my druthers, I'd take a big ol' G08 over the Cary. You just like the Cary better because it was made in the South
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, the only reason that I asked was because there was a request to compare it to the Eastsound E-5.

Nov 17, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #320 of 349
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss2
Hell I probably know 2/3 of the people if there are only going to be 15.There were 20-30 at the Plantation meet.I think the towel idea will work fine and I certainly trust everyone I met at the South Florida meet(and minis) with my cans.I was given quite a warm welcome then,and I definitely plan on passing it along.I'm just being overly cautious,don't mind me guys.Gary.

You are bringing the SCD-1 right? I was looking on audiogon this morning and I am very tempted to get one as my next upgrade.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #322 of 349
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
critical listening.

At a meet, you know better than that, especially with the Head-Fi brew on hand.
icon10.gif
I labeled 24 22oz. bottles last night for the meet.

Matt, I think you can add Nandro to the list of attendees. He is in the Orlando area and told me he is pretty sure he will be there.

Nov 17, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #323 of 349
Quote:

wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Very thoughtful, as usual, Aaron, and I didn't mean to say you shouldn't bring the 588 if others really want to hear it, and you are willing to go to the trouble. Just reinforcing that between most having heard a 588 at past meets, and Ray's 508 in attendance, the Meridian house sound is probably covered.

Now if you are talking bringing that "big ol' G08", that's another story - I'd love to hear that bad boy next to the Cary 306 and Mikeg's ultra modded Denon
very_evil_smiley.gif

otoh, air travel with such a beauty would scare the crap out of me, as I'm sure it does you, especially in light of your recent scuba gear tragedy, so we understand your not wanting to chance it. Only a crazy man would do that, and you're not crazy - are you?
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #325 of 349
Toothbrush and tidy whities it is, then.

That and the R-10's and medium sizes Qualias (if it will fit anyone but me).

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #326 of 349
Hi, I know it's really late to toss out a new idea... but I was just checking that schedule at Tampa Theatre (because of the Friday night concert that some of us are going to), and discovered that Nickel creek is playing on Saturday night! Chris Thile is totally amazing!

Problem is that the show starts at 8pm, and our meet is from 8am-8pm, so it might not be practical. In any case, it's something to consider. If anyone else is interested, we can check on ticket availability on Friday night when we're there for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind Boys of Alabama.

I love new York and don't want to leave!
frown.gif
But such is life, and at least I've got something to look forward to for this weekend.

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #327 of 349
Good catch, Wayne ... I noticed Nickel Creek on Sat too - definite possibility.

otoh, there is a plethora of options in Tampa - Ybor City, Channelside (of recent Carolina Cheerleader fame), good restaurants, "gentleman's clubs", etc. Then, with the likes of you, Ray, Aaron, and Stevio in attendance, who needs to go anywhere for entertainment?
icon10.gif

I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Nov 17, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #330 of 349
Any word on Justin lately? He was still pretty much up in the air when I talked to him last week.

Also haven't heard about the McAlister amp, it would suck to have two HE-90's and nothing to run them from
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back