Tampa Florida 19/11/05 meet impressions thread!
Nov 21, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #46 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
The K340's can be clumsy at first, but with a few tweaks they can become very comfortable. I'm not sure who owns these, but send me a PM if you want more details. Simply replacing the elastics can make a world of a difference as you get a better seal... the K501 headband improves comfort a fair amount as well.

i dont know if it was because of their age or what but i noticed that the headband would extend all the way and the weight of the headphones would drag them down below my ears, i would have to hold them up in place...

great headphones tho, would love to find myself a pair but they seem to be few and far between

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #47 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
What tubes were in Justin's new amp? I didn't get to hear it with the stock tubes just the Telefunkens, but I understand that replacing them improved the performance substantially.

gpalmer,

justin used the stock tubes at this meet. he did not use the fishers that we heard & liked. the fishers made a dramatic improvement over the stock tubes, imo.

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #48 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
i dont know if it was because of their age or what but i noticed that the headband would extend all the way and the weight of the headphones would drag them down below my ears, i would have to hold them up in place...

Oh, that is definately the elastics.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #49 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
How did the woodied HF-1 compare to normal HF-1 and RS-1?

I posted some impressions earlier in the thread. I found the woodied HF-1 to be a huge improvement over the stock version. I also felt, for me that the woodied HF-1 was a more musical and involving headphone than the RS-1. I could understand why some might prefer the RS-1 to the woodied HF-1 but for me, it was no contest.

Nov 21, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #51 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
the head-fi beer was great... worlds first audiophile beer... uses genuine rain-forest glass made by the lost indian tribes of mexico for that extra warm sound... the silver plating on the bottle lowers the impedance of the beer also making it much more detailed, and no caps in the beer path! fully biased into class a assures the perfect amount of foam each time and that rich full taste that can only come from discrete components, no IC's in our beer!
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrion
Don't forget the Rainbow Foil we placed under the label.

And of course your hops had the same acoustic properties as Magic Pebbles did they not? Yep this one one Hi-fi brew alright. Can't wait to pop open the two bottles I managed to bring home on Thanksgiving.

Nov 21, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #52 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieo
another great meet!!!

hats off to nightwoundstime who organized a great meet at a very nice hotel & he gave everyone a set of 9 mfsl beatles lp’s he copied to cd’s from a cd master someone made for him from the original lp’s & they sound great!!!

A little info on those sets since most everyone was confused by my explanation.

Quote:

To all those who think these are commercial releases or waiting for the official CD releases.
Dr. Ebbets was/is one of the biggest Beatles collectors. He purchased all of the original Capitol/Parlophone & US/UK (and some Mexican & German) LP's back in the 60's. He did not open them until 2000 when he decided to rip all of them on his pristine stereo equipment. Much better than the infamous Millennium Remasters. Included in his 100+ titles are interview albums, live albums, collections of rarities & outtakes, unreleased albums (the first us concert, get back - both versions, all three versions of rubber soul) and albums that differ from each other in track line-ups or alternate versions (the uk and us editions differ from each other greatly, mixing-wise and track-wise) the mono LPs were never issued on cd (except for the 1st 2 (??) lp's/cd's) and the only titles (stereo) that were issued on cd (worldwide) were the uk editions. Secondly, the sound quality is many times better than the cd issues by Capitol in the mid 80's, as those used 2nd or 3rd generation master tapes, where-as the original vinyl issues were from the original master tapes at the time that the vinyl was made from. The other exception to this rule are the MFSL remasters which were done by Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs which in the late 70s and 80s they got a hold of the original masters from their most popular UK albums and remastered them using the highest fidelity possible onto 180 gram limited-edition virgin vinyl that was very very expensive (roughly about $40 - $80 a title in US funds at the release date) and MFSL has yet to release their Beatles remasters on cd as well, but again the good Dr. had unopened, unplayed copies of these as well (don’t confuse the Dr. Ebbetts MFSL's with just the regular MFSL rips kicking around, those are inferior). So essentially all of these are NOT commercially available in this form. The fidelity is much better, the packaging was made to replicate the original 60's vinyl.
About the legality of these remasters: if Capitol/Parlophone would get off their ass and re-issue the 100+ titles or remaster the basic catalogue than most Beatle collectors will not share them any longer, until they do, most will share for the world, as any Beatle collector knows, these titles are essentially THE holy grail for Beatles fans.

Here is an auction on Ebay that seems to point to them originally being a commercial release but info is hard to come by.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...6&category=307

Either way, they're amazing quality.

Nov 21, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #54 of 128
I must try some of these Fisher tubes you guys are talking about because I was very impressed with Justin's amp and HE90 combo.I don't know why we didn't try Wayne's broken-in HE90 and compare the two,but we didn't.What I like most about these cans is they can handle pretty much anything thrown at them.Pyscho and I were listening to a track off of System Of A Down's album(Mesmerize I think)on his Feel,with the modded HF-1's and it sounded very good,but just a little too much top for me.This was the fastest song I think I've ever heard and we both immediately thought to go try it out in the Orpheus combo.These cans were both lightning fast and very articulate,but not so in your face,they just sounded so right.I didn't think they were lacking at all in the lower end,but I was somewhat starstruck by their beautiful midrange and speed,so YMMV.Gary.

P.S.Her name is spelled Xenia,but it's pronounced Senya.

Nov 21, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #55 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
my favorite meet pic
smily_headphones1.gif

Free promo for the cablemeister...oh you mean the Eastsound!
tongue.gif

Nice work RnB. Your cables have a classy presence to them.

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #56 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss2
I must try some of these Fisher tubes you guys are talking about because I was very impressed with Justin's amp and HE90 combo.

The Fisher tubes in question were made in W. Germany, and are rebranded Telefunken smooth plate 12AX7's. If they didn't get into the amp at the meet, you were definitely missing that last bit of finesse Justin's amp can deliver.

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #57 of 128
Another impression:

At the NY meet, we were graced with the presence of 2 pair of AKG 701's that had arrived that week. The sounded terrible, even with the best gear.

At this meet, I listen to them through the Raptor, the Dynahi, and the Fell, and was astounded by how good they sounded. They had a subsonic bass that was deep and clean. The mid-range was fluid, and the highs were almost there. It was said that they could be had for close to $250. Flecom said they had approximately 150 hours on them. I can't even begin to enter a discussion with someone who says that burn-in doesn't do any justice to headphones.

Unfortunately, after listening to them, I put on the pair of 340's that were there, and how do I put it?...like Matt said, comparing the 2 TT's...feh!

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #58 of 128
Thanks for the response Hirsch.Stevieo had your tubes at the meet but for some reason we didn't put them in the amp.I think this might have been Justin's call,but I can't wait to hear what they sound like.Gary.

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #59 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Flecom said they had approximately 150 hours on them. I can't even begin to enter a discussion with someone who says that burn-in doesn't do any justice to headphones.

i was not a burn in believer until the 701's, it was a NOTICABLE difference from when i first got them to where they are now...

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #60 of 128
Very Nice - Very Nice - Very Nice!

How was Charlie Musselwhite? He was one of old time harp faves, too (behind Little Walter, Sonny Terry, Junior Wells...). Hit some other interesting nite spots worth retelling?

How did the "Feel" amp sound? (It's a beautiful look).

Very curious about Justin's "Artaeus" but I'll wait until jjcha gets his in NYC and listen directly. Like Aaron, I'm a great fan of the HE90/HEV90 (my alltime favorite headfi muscial experience) and am really intrigued by Justin's new creation.

Tyrion — it's no surprise that your Raptor sounded better. I heard Ray's Raptor at our NYC meet and it was immediately apparent to me that it sounded noticeably better than the one I heard last June. Ray said he "made some improvements". No joke. Really nice work, Ray.

I'm sure I have lots of other gear questions, but another time for that.

Is there a review on the Headfi Brew?!?! (nice label!)

Two beautiful, photogenic and symphathic women enjoying a meet — wonderful … and Welcome!

Congrats on what looks like a very friendly, personable and fun gathering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back