Taming the highs on Denon D2000
Mar 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HeyWaj10

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I have a pair of modded D2000's, and need to find a way to tame the highs a bit more.  I have a Bifrost about to be delivered, and I am aware I may get a little more emphasis on the highs potentially, albeit hopefully more resolved than with the uDac2.

Currently, I have silver cables on the D2Ks, and was wondering if switching to a higher grade copper cable will help?  There is still just a bit too much sparkle to the upper midrange/treble than what I'd prefer, especially since I listen to mostly prog rock/metal.

Obviously, the LD1+ with the tubes I currently have should be a good match (and it is, I love the sound), but the highs are still just a bit too much.  Otherwise, these headphones are phenomenal (especially with the wood cups, which tighten the bass up very nicely).

Thanks!

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 8
How much hours of use do they have? from what i know burn in helps.  

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 8
The silver wire might be making it worse. My D2000s became more sibilant and bright when I swapped out the stock cable from a custom Mogami 2534 cable.

I strongly suggest you try this very simple mod out: LINK

It made a huge difference with my D2000. I ended up using the KSC75 earpads for mine (trimmed to fit).

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 8
Dude...that did it.  Just took the edge off and reduced that "pressurized" feeling the treble had.  May be losing a few bits, but those are bits I can live without.

Much appreciated MalVeaux. 

Hans...while I imagine the mod also helps, I for one am not a modder (too afraid to break something with these expensive toys).

Fabio...I'm sure they can still use more break-in.  If I had to guess, I'm probably between 80-100 hours on these phones.

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Heya,

Save your money.

Equalize 3khz~4khz down 2~3 db. Do the same with 6khz through 10khz.

Very best,

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Hans...while I imagine the mod also helps, I for one am not a modder (too afraid to break something with these expensive toys).

It's not really much of a mod. All you do it take the earpads off, which is extremely easy. To do this, push down on them and rotate them counter clockwise (I think). They'll pop right off, and you simple do the reverse to put them back on. Once they're off, you just place the material in front of the driver and put the earpads back on. If you don't push down on them hard enough, they'll just spin in place. No big deal. You'll know if you're pushing too hard when your headphones break. It's super easy, trust me. And totally worth it.

I prefer it to using an EQ, as not all equalizers are equal. This includes software-based EQs. So, say you listen to your music on a certain device or program (if using a computer). If you switch to a different device with a different equalizer, it probably won't sound the same. With this simple mod, results will always be consistent and non-variable (except for variability of sound related to source components)!

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Dude...that did it.  Just took the edge off and reduced that "pressurized" feeling the treble had.  May be losing a few bits, but those are bits I can live without.

Much appreciated MalVeaux. 

Fabio...I'm sure they can still use more break-in.  If I had to guess, I'm probably between 80-100 hours on these phones.

Thanks guys!

Glad it worked mate. Indeed Equing them is a nice suggestion. 
Sit back and enjoy the music. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 8
2-5khz is exactly where the Denon D2000 is recessed, those are the upper mids, if anything they need to be EQ'd up. 6-10khz is the treble though, that's probably where most of your harshness is coming from. The Denons also have a dip after 1khz, and that dramatic shift makes for a lot of their mids to be warmer than they should be. EQ'ing in such a manner to where you could get a smooth transition from 500 to 1.5khz would be ideal as well. That might involve having a little dip at the 1khz point on your EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back