Talk me out of the iPhone
Nov 3, 2008 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

HiFiRE

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new cell phone / mp3 player / pda. The iPhone sticks out but having to use iTunes strongly turns me off, as does the automatic label of jagoff.

I currently use a Sony w580i and my severe gripe with it is that it doesn't have a headphone out. It doesn't have any real pda features and the browser is weak but that hasn't really burned me yet. If those features were stronger I might use them more.

Is there anything out there no more expensive than the iPhone that I should be considering?

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 94
On screen keyboards suck, ATT sucks, no real time GPS, can't use it as a modem, no cut and paste, crappy 2mp camera, no Flash, no Stereo Bluetooth, no MMS messaging, no video recording...

If I were you I could strongly consider the HTC Touch Pro, HTC Titan (xv6800), or Blackberry

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortonjl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No real time GPS? Crappy phone? You better check again. Keyboard is great, ATT service is not bad either. Don't be a hater.

So you can get real time turn by turn directions with the iPhone?

For my needs there are many better options.

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #6 of 94
I've had every phone, all the HTC's and the IPhone blows them away. The
3G has real time GPS with turn by turn directions and can give you directions to a destination from where you're sitting. The smart keyboard is great, even if you have fat fingers. I'd look into it further before you dismiss it, I can use any phone I like and it's my choice.

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #7 of 94
Blackberry Storm/Javelin
HTC Touch Dioamond
HTC Touch HD
Samsung Omnia

for the Windows mobile devices just get a cooked ROM from xda-developers

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #8 of 94
Quote:

I can use any phone I like and it's my choice.

Waaaaaah! You can also have your own party and cry if you want to.

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 94
Quote:

What are you talking about????

For personal use the iPhone is pretty nice... granted it has a few shortcomings ... for business use however, there are many better options. The OP wants to use it as a PDA and unless he is using it with a MAC a Windows Mobile based phone is going to be the better option for data synchronization with his calendar, Outlook, tasks, etc...

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #12 of 94
I was considering the iPhone myself but then it hit me, I don't want to combine my DAP and phone. In the same way I don't want to combine my phone and camera.

Also, as previously mentioned...no bluetooth file transfer, MMS etc etc. Not good.

I opted for a Nokia E71. Push email, 3g, OPERA MINI-The best mobile browser EVER, web radio, FM radio, qwerty, it really is the dogs knackers.

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #13 of 94
...oh and the E71 is thinner than the iPhone

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #14 of 94
Have you browsed the apps for the iPhone? There are about a dozen that are incredibly handy for me, like the HP 12C emulator. I love the 12C so much I have two of them. So having a 12C with me at all times is huge. Same with a set of statutes I got the other day and several others. Maybe there are shortcomings, but no other phone offers me so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back