Tale of Two (Monster) Turbines
Oct 18, 2010 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hales

Head-Fier
Picked up a pair of Monster Turbines a couple of months ago.  I had read so many glowing reviews of them that I assumed they would be a great replacement for my old Shure e3c's. 

The Turbines were a huge letdown.  Very heavy on the mids.  Papery lower treble.  Anemic bass.  I kept listening to them off and on hoping for some kind of magic change in their sound from break-in.  No luck.

Out of the box, the left earphone had some weird flex to it.  I could hear it when I seated it in my ear.  Kind of a woomp sound like when you pull a dent out of metal.  The right earphone came apart where the red ring is.  The earphone literally came apart.

I took them back to Best Buy to get my money back.  I noticed that the turbines have two types of boxes.  An older slightly larger box, and a newer slightly smaller box.  Instead of getting my money back, I decided to exchange them.  I had bought the smaller boxed newer version the first time.  I bought the older larger box version this time.

There is a night and day difference in the sound with the second pair that I bought.  Even without break-in I fully agree with the glowing reviews.  They are great headphones and I am completely happy with them.

What I don't understand is why they sounded so different.  Same ear tips, same source, same music - completely different sound.  My guess is that the first pair were defective.  At the same time I can't help but to wonder if Monster changed more than just the box.  Is there a second revision of the Turbine?

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 5
You picked up the regular Monster Turbine not pro right?

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Correct.  Regular model. 

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 5
hmm my old turbines the right driver stopped working so i got a replacement sent by monster, the box is different so is the connector (its now L). i havent opened the box yet tho but i didnt know the sound would be different.

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 5
My guess is that the old ones had seal issues in the phones themselves.  The new ones are great.  A little harsh in the highs, but they are not broken in.  Bass is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back