Takstar Hi2050 *First Impressions*
Dec 13, 2012 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

pro1137

500+ Head-Fier
Today, I received my pair of Takstar Hi2050 headphones in the mail. Purchased on eBay for around $70. I've been VERY eager to get my hands on these, since I've read so many great things about them. They are semi-open headphones that look quite similar to the DT880.

The box - Unfortunately, I can't read most of this, since it is all Chinese, and I cannot speak/read/whatever the Chinese language. However, I can comment on the packaging. It feels very nicely made as a box. Inside there is a black box containing the headphones themselves resting on a nylon fabric, a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter, a few manuals and other Takstar ads, some foam slips to hold the manuals, and another small black box that has an extension cable. A very nice package altogether.

The headphones - When I first picked these up, I was immediately surprised by the build quality. The outside of the cups have a mixture of plastic and metal; the plastic being on the outer edges of the cups, metal more near the middle. Pads are made of a fabric, which I believe is nylon, like the fabric in the box. Feels similar to standard velour pads. The inside of the cups have a generous amount of padding. These also have a nice aluminum part that connects the cups to the headband. Speaking of the headband, it is pretty flexible. More flexible than the DT770, but less flexible than something like the Sony MDR V6. There isn't really too much clamping force, but they won't fall off of one's head easily, that being said, these are very comfortable to wear.

Sound - Much better sounding than I could have imagined. These cans completely blew me away. 

Bass - The bass on these is very nice sounding. It is decently controlled, not overpowering, but not bass-light. It compliments music exceptionally well. No bleed either. Could be a bit tighter, though.

Mids - The mids on these sound absolutely fantastic! Both male and female voices sound sensational out of these headphones. Refined and detailed as well. I am just astounded by the mids that these headphones have. I am eager to see what happens later on after some break-in time.

Highs - Crisp, clear, and definitely not sibilant. They give a certain 'sparkle' that I haven't heard in headphones near this price range before. 

Soundstage - With semi-open cans, soundstage is a major factor to sound. These cans have a good surround-sound-like presentation to them. Width on these is average, I suppose. Depth is quite good, to my ears. There is a definite forward projection that I've not heard from cans with similar pricing. 

Used with 

iPhone 4S
iPod Touch 3G
cMoy BB V2.03 amp

Both were used with and without the amp for comparison.

Music used

Hudson - Crimson (Album) (Used multiple songs from this album. Most lossless ALAC, some AAC 255)
The Beatles - Nowhere Man (AAC 255)
Namco Sounds - Invasion of Gracemeria (AAC 255)
Namco Sounds - Ace Combat 6 theme (AAC 255)
Namco Sounds - Liberation of Gracemeria (AAC 255)
Dexcell - Starry Eyed ViP (MP3 320)
Skullee - Stand Up (MP3 320)

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 83
Any chance you could post this review in the following thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-thread

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 83
Nice review! Iv'e been looking at the Technical Pro version of these headphones, this just makes me want them even more. :)

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 83
I am planning to get either this or the superlux hd668b, one more review for the takstar helps me to make a better decision, thank you very much for reviewing these!

Thanks! It's not necessarily a review though. I had the same decision to make between the 668B and these. I'm glad I went with these.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 83
Quote:
Thanks! It's not necessarily a review though. I had the same decision to make between the 668B and these. I'm glad I went with these.

How do you know that you won't be even more satisfied if you went with the superlux instead of these?
wink_face.gif

edit: you mentioned that the bass of these could be a bit tighter, how loose is it actually compared to the brainwavz r1, which it seems that we both own?

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 83
How do you know that you won't be even more satisfied if you went with the superlux instead of these?:wink_face:
edit: you mentioned that the bass of these could be a bit tighter, how loose is it actually compared to the brainwavz r1, which it seems that we both own?

It's much more refined than the R1, I feel.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 83
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-thread

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #12 of 83
Do they sound dececnt without amping? I am planning to get these or the Somic MH463 and I will buy the one that sounds best without amp, because I am going to use it directly from the ps3 with an RCA - Jack adapter. If it needs amping I could buy a Xonar DG and plug the ps3 in the "line in" port and connect the headphones to it.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #13 of 83
  Do they sound dececnt without amping? I am planning to get these or the Somic MH463 and I will buy the one that sounds best without amp, because I am going to use it directly from the ps3 with an RCA - Jack adapter. If it needs amping I could buy a Xonar DG and plug the ps3 in the "line in" port and connect the headphones to it.

Sorry for the late response. Yeah, they're fine without an amplifier. No real changes when amped vs not amped

Users who are viewing this thread

Back