Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones
May 21, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #303 of 1,250
Yeah, I skipped too that new back mod. Treble popping too much in.

I have not listened yet but measurements seems promising. No spikes. I did eight measurements. I repositioned it eight times with free hand measuring. It seems has slight dip at around 11 kHz and slightly recressed upper middle. Hope it sound good as it measures.

Still lacking the meaty sub bass. 30 Hz is approx 3 dB lower than 100 Hz and 20 Hz is already lowered 6 dB.But my measuring may not be 100% accurate. It still can have a slightly more deep bass and slighly more upper frequencies on better measuring.

Eight measurements.png

Edit. Pics of new mod.
IMG_20190522_090825.jpg IMG_20190522_090919.jpg IMG_20190522_092207.jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #304 of 1,250
Yeah, I skipped too that new back mod. Treble popping too much in.

I have not listened yet but measurements seems promising. No spikes. I did eight measurements. I repositioned it eight times with free hand measuring. It seems has slight dip at around 11 kHz and slightly recressed upper middle. Hope it sound good as it measures.

Still lacking the meaty sub bass. 30 Hz is approx 3 dB lower than 100 Hz and 20 Hz is already lowered 6 dB.But my measuring may not be 100% accurate. It still can have a slightly more deep bass and slighly more upper frequencies on better measuring.

I learned an important lesson from this moding - measurments don't tell the whole story. Graphs can be impeccably straight, but it won't sound perfect.

How did you choose the materials to mod HF580? Trial and error?

May 21, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #305 of 1,250
I learned an important lesson from this moding - measurments don't tell the whole story. Graphs can be impeccably straight, but it won't sound perfect.

How did you choose the materials to mod HF580? Trial and error?
Inside back dampering I learned from the Echo TDS-16. CSD was cleanest with that dampering. That tape at the front was just a luck. Foam on the front edges was learned from Superlux mod and and Echo planars. Giving more volume and may improve the middle.

I need to do some more listening later. I think I like this new mod. I removed the back grill damper. Inside still has two layers of low dense foam, a cleaning cloth sheet and new two dense foam pieces. Front has now a dense foam, a tape and new weak magnet pieces.

May 21, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #306 of 1,250
Inside back dampering I learned from the Echo TDS-16. CSD was cleanest with that dampering. That tape at the front was just a luck. Foam on the front edges was learned from Superlux mod and and Echo planars. Giving more volume and may improve the middle.

I need to do some more listening later. I think I like this new mod. I removed the back grill damper. Inside still has two layers of low dense foam, a cleaning cloth sheet and new two dense foam pieces. Front has now a dense foam, a tape and new weak magnet pieces.

Is the dense foam you used to make two new pieces for the back, is the same foam you used for the front?

May 21, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #307 of 1,250
Is the dense foam you used to make two new pieces for the back, is the same foam you used for the front?
Yep :) I used the same parts from the upper and below. I trimmed the edges of the low dense foam and cleaning cloth to make it fit. I'll post pictures tomorrow. I need now some sleep. On my measuring impulse response is good as Audeze's planars. I dont know how to measure THD correctly but for my ears the full range is very clear. So I don't except there to be any problems.

May 22, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #308 of 1,250
Alright I bowed out of this thread earlier on simply because I couldn’t keep a cool head. Usually happens when headphones hit like this...and I tend to sling out wild odes somewhat lacking perspective.
Well after having lived with this can for a good while now I can safely say that it is the best bang for my buck I’ve encountered in this hobby. Not even close..and I’ve owned the HD58X, K7XX as well as a couple of really nice Superluxes (I know...if cans cost less than a dsd download how on earth can they be worth anything? Quick tip: headphones are not that expensive to produce..at least not the parts that make up the sound).
For old school electronic like Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream this is the bee’s knees beating out my previous he500 and v200 combo.
As for everything else? I haven’t yet come across albums or styles of music that didn’t go down well over Preben Diego. It feels as if there is a slight v-formed signature and also like there’s some sneaky and rather eccentric dsp implemented that sounds like tubes that don’t sound like tubes.
Confused? Welcome to the club!
It’s lovely in here:)

May 22, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #309 of 1,250
This headphone definetely does not lack sparkiness on the treble. May be still too much. I'm thinkin to some more acoustical dampering to the front. Just a hair. But I like the smoothness of my latest mod. I heared that slight dip at 11 kHz.

May 22, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #311 of 1,250
I can safely say that it is the best bang for my buck I’ve encountered in this hobby. Not even close..and I’ve owned the HD58X, K7XX as well as a couple of really nice Superluxes (I know...if cans cost less than a dsd download how on earth can they be worth anything? Quick tip: headphones are not that expensive to produce..at least not the parts that make up the sound).
For old school electronic like Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream this is the bee’s knees beating out my previous he500 and v200 combo.

I agree for the 150ish and 168ish price tags i got mine for nothing comes close, not even my he560 v2 for 200 bucks. insane how good these are for dnb, atmos, synth stuff.

May 23, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #312 of 1,250
Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #313 of 1,250
Yeah, the prices (in general) on Aliexpress seem to fluctuate much more wildly than on other marketplaces. Presumably currency conversion has something to do with that, but even beyond that, there appear to be frequent, sometimes radical, changes in pricing.

Do I think these are worthwhile at US$190? Absolutely... just not as much of a steal as at US$160.

May 23, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #314 of 1,250
Can't wait for the pics.
Hi, I updated already upper post with pics. But this may take now a while. I keep the new inside back damper and the front foam. Everything else is under the decision.

Attachments

• IMG_20190522_230859.jpg
    IMG_20190522_230859.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
May 23, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #315 of 1,250
All this talk about how good they are with edm got me, I'm in.

I just got a message saying I may need to pay a customs tax for having them shipped to the US due to more strict customs. Does anyone know if that is the case? This is the first I have heard of it. If so does anyone happen to know how much the customs tax will be? Thanks for any information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back