taking the k240 sextett apart , step by step
Jan 11, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #16 of 26
You're not gonna damage it if you're lifting from the inside - you know, from the side where you can fit your finger under it.

It just snaps on and off.

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #17 of 26
Thanks a lot, minivan!
Your pictures helped me to find the courage to open my Sextett and replacing the elastics and the foam.
It all worked well.

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #18 of 26
anyone know if the sound would change if the foam was removed? The foam actually makes them fit strangely, stick out at the back, and dig in in front of my ears a bit- at least that is my current theory as to why my restored and recabled fair doesn't fit as well as my stock pair that has old foam...

This is a great thread, thanks

Dec 27, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone know if the sound would change if the foam was removed? The foam actually makes them fit strangely, stick out at the back, and dig in in front of my ears a bit- at least that is my current theory as to why my restored and recabled fair doesn't fit as well as my stock pair that has old foam...

This is a great thread, thanks

The fit changed when I put new foam in the earcups, but not the sound.
So removing foam will not alter the sound as well.

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fit changed when I put new foam in the earcups, but not the sound.
So removing foam will not alter the sound as well.

ok, thanks! did yours fit better with new foam? Why would a different kind of foam change the sound (according to fitz), but not removing it completely? I would try it, but it seems like quite a long process to put it back together again, and would make it difficult to A/B

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

ok, thanks! did yours fit better with new foam? Why would a different kind of foam change the sound (according to fitz), but not removing it completely? I would try it, but it seems like quite a long process to put it back together again, and would make it difficult to A/B

When you use open cell foam, there will be no altering of the sound.
Like they use in filtering units for fish tanks. So open cell foam, or no foam, will basically the same. But I can imagine, when you use closed material like cotton, it can affect the sound.
It's not difficult to disassemble the Sextett and put it back together. Even I could do it, and I'm quite clumsy
smile.gif
It will take some time though.
The fit wasn't that better. I noticed little difference. It didn't work for my big head. The clamp was still to strong. So I sold them because of discomfort. Also because the pads didn't surround my ears. Same problem as with the K271.

Dec 27, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It didn't work for my big head. The clamp was still to strong. So I sold them because of discomfort. Also because the pads didn't surround my ears. Same problem as with the K271.

bummer! you must have a big noggen and ears! Cause I thought I did, but I guess I'm right at the limit. Did you re-screen yours before selling them? Because that completely changed them for me...I couldn't wear them for more than 30 min. with that stock plastic screen.

I'll report back after I mess with the foam

Dec 28, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #23 of 26
just fyi, i removed the foam and it fixed my fit issue. The headphones are now able to flex more, and can come down around the bottom of my ears better to make a better seal against my head. They still don't fit quite as well as my other pair, im not sure why. But there's no going back, I had to tear out the foam, because the recable left me no room to pull the silver ring out away from the rest of it...

Now I am wondering if this is what causes a similar issue for me with the K340.

Does the K340 use a similar foam?

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

just fyi, i removed the foam and it fixed my fit issue. The headphones are now able to flex more, and can come down around the bottom of my ears better to make a better seal against my head. They still don't fit quite as well as my other pair, im not sure why. But there's no going back, I had to tear out the foam, because the recable left me no room to pull the silver ring out away from the rest of it...

Now I am wondering if this is what causes a similar issue for me with the K340.

Does the K340 use a similar foam?

The different fit from your previous pair is maybe due to the earpads. The new ones are fuller or flatter or........
BTW: I never rescreened mine. That was a part I didn't had the guts to do.

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #25 of 26
thank you for the pics, helped a lot
I just got my sextett and the original foam was totally rotten so needed a hard clean
unfortunately I thing the grill is glued at the two middle sticks
one side I could pry down, but the other stuck

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #26 of 26
Resurrecting an old thread, but anyone know how to get to the core of the driver? I had a little accident a while back where I broke one of the metal tabs off. I've gotten this far and am stumped. Still trying to save my sextetts if all possible! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back