Taking control my my weight again...
Jun 21, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #106 of 144
how many calories should one be aiming to burn per workout? 30 minutes on the treadmill or bike or elliptical is usually around 300-400 calories, and then i usually do 30 minutes of weight training. is this enough?

Jun 22, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #107 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
how many calories should one be aiming to burn per workout? 30 minutes on the treadmill or bike or elliptical is usually around 300-400 calories, and then i usually do 30 minutes of weight training. is this enough?

Weight training isn't beneficial every day. You grow muscle mass when you're not working out. I would recommend alternating cardio and weight lighting every day. 300-400 calories every half hour isn't bad. I'll do 1200 in one hour at 40 km/h on the bike, but that's really tiring, and I've done it for quite a while. I also have a bowflex that I've been meaning to get to. Now that I'm done studying, I plan on getting into shape. 300-400 isn't that bad for half an hour. In 45 minutes, that's about 600 calories. As a rule of thumb if you're looking for weight loss, 1 pound = 3600 Calories (some say 3000). So 600 a day, every other day is a pound every two weeks, plus whatever you lose weight training, so about 0.75 pounds a week if you eat healthy too.

Jun 22, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #108 of 144
cheers for the advice. i've never seen any physical trainers or whatever, so i wasn't sure if i was was under/over-doing it.

edit: actually, i don't work out every day, more like every other day. so i do have a day's rest in between. would you still say it is a bad idea to do weight training every other day?

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #109 of 144
Quote:

cheers for the advice. i've never seen any physical trainers or whatever, so i wasn't sure if i was was under/over-doing it.

edit: actually, i don't work out every day, more like every other day. so i do have a day's rest in between. would you still say it is a bad idea to do weight training every other day?

it really depends on your body--different people regenerate muscles at different speeds. one famous body builder was able to work out the same muscles every single day. that's superhuman. i think on average, most people need at least 3-5 days to recouperate. personally, i work out every muscle group on 5 day cycles, which seems to be exactly how long it takes for my muscles to stop being sore. that's for strength training. i break my muscles into 3 groups:

1. chest / triceps
2. back / biceps / shoulders
3. legs

cardio is a little different. you can do it almost every day depending on the intensities. now, as for burning 300-400 cal per 1/2 hour, that's pretty good. like i said before, in top shape, i was able to burn 930cal in 1 continuous hour on the elliptical machine. i can do about 800-900 cal in 1 continuous hour on a bike (according to the bike's meter, which probably is not very accurate). and i assure you, those are insane numbers. very few people going to my gym can achieve those stats on those machines.

now, The_Duke_Of_Eli claims to do 1200cal/hr on the bike. i think even Lance Armstrong would struggle to get those numbers--Tour de France riders seem to do about 1000-1200cal/hr during moutain climbing stages according to the stats i could find using google. so, i would suspect his equipment is not calibrated correctly.

anyway, what you should do depends on what your goal is. if you wanna kick ass, assuming you are of normal health and around 30 years old, you should push your heart rate to 140-150bpm if you're gonna go for 1 hour, or more if you're gonna do a shorter exercise. this will probably cause you to lose muscle mass though. so, if you want to lose weight, generally you want to keep your heart rate under 120bpm... maybe even less. don't let it go above 130, otherwise you'll lose excessive muscle.

my schedule when losing weight:

4 mornings a week: 1 hour straight cardio @150bpm, 10min ab crunches, 10min stretching

mon night: muscle group #1 for 2 hours
tues night: muscle group #2 for 2 hours
wedn: rest
thurs: muscle group #1 for 2 hours
fri: muscle group #2 for 2 hours
sat: sport, like tennis or something
sun: rest

now, my schedule for maintenance / body sculpting

5 day cycles of:

day 1: muscle group #1
day 2: run 5 miles
day 3: muscle group #2
day 4: muscle group #3

then start cycle over

by the way....... these are very aggresive schedules, and WILL hurt. but i did drop from ~30% body fat to ~10% in 1 year. i also doubled my strength in most areas (benchpress from 140lbs -> 250lbs). most people are not as crazy though.... so adjust to your schedule as appropriate.

hope this helps,
dean

Jun 23, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #110 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Weight training isn't beneficial every day. You grow muscle mass when you're not working out. I would recommend alternating cardio and weight lighting every day. 300-400 calories every half hour isn't bad. I'll do 1200 in one hour at 40 km/h on the bike, but that's really tiring, and I've done it for quite a while. I also have a bowflex that I've been meaning to get to. Now that I'm done studying, I plan on getting into shape. 300-400 isn't that bad for half an hour. In 45 minutes, that's about 600 calories. As a rule of thumb if you're looking for weight loss, 1 pound = 3600 Calories (some say 3000). So 600 a day, every other day is a pound every two weeks, plus whatever you lose weight training, so about 0.75 pounds a week if you eat healthy too.

Don't be so pre-occupied with how many calories you burn in a specific workout. The larger benefit from the workout is increasing you metabolism which lowers your body's "setpoint." You benefit from an aerobic workout for 12-24 hours after the workout itself burning more calories while at rest.

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #111 of 144
I too am guilty of obsessing over everything. More is better. etc, etc. I've finally learned the GREAT lesson my sainted mother taught me: EVERYTHING IN MODERATION. That is all I ever need to know. It took me a long, long time to take it in and make it mine.

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #112 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro
Don't be so pre-occupied with how many calories you burn in a specific workout. The larger benefit from the workout is increasing you metabolism which lowers your body's "setpoint." You benefit from an aerobic workout for 12-24 hours after the workout itself burning more calories while at rest.

i think this is a common misconception. i did metabolic testing before and after my program, and i can tell you, despite my incredible fitness gains (cardio @ 600cal/hr -> 930/hr on the same machine, bench @ 140lbs -> 250lbs) my metabolism actually DECREASED (about 5-10% decrease, though I was still at 10-12% above the norm of my height/weight/age)! metabolism seems to be mainly a function of muscle mass. so, no, i wouldn't say you'd burn any more calories resting. probably will burn less actually once you lose some weight. if you can put on some more pounds of muscle though, you will burn more resting.

Jun 23, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #113 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
it really depends on your body--different people regenerate muscles at different speeds. one famous body builder was able to work out the same muscles every single day. that's superhuman. i think on average, most people need at least 3-5 days to recouperate.

This is exactly right, muscles need time to recover, particularly from workouts that really push your limits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
personally, i work out every muscle group on 5 day cycles, which seems to be exactly how long it takes for my muscles to stop being sore. that's for strength training. i break my muscles into 3 groups:

1. chest / triceps
2. back / biceps / shoulders
3. legs

my schedule when losing weight:

4 mornings a week: 1 hour straight cardio @150bpm, 10min ab crunches, 10min stretching

mon night: muscle group #1 for 2 hours
tues night: muscle group #2 for 2 hours
wedn: rest
thurs: muscle group #1 for 2 hours
fri: muscle group #2 for 2 hours
sat: sport, like tennis or something
sun: rest

now, my schedule for maintenance / body sculpting

5 day cycles of:

day 1: muscle group #1
day 2: run 5 miles
day 3: muscle group #2
day 4: muscle group #3

then start cycle over

by the way....... these are very aggresive schedules, and WILL hurt. but i did drop from ~30% body fat to ~10% in 1 year. i also doubled my strength in most areas (benchpress from 140lbs -> 250lbs). most people are not as crazy though.... so adjust to your schedule as appropriate.

hope this helps,
dean

Here's where we part. I find that in addition to localized recovery, there's also systemic recovery that has to take place. You are spot on with your assertion that different people recover at different rates, and that's almost entirely determined by your genetics. But recovery from systemic fatigue is a seriously overlooked issued by most weight trainers, and it's this lack of generalized recovery that causes most people's progress to halt after 2-4 months. You can get by with too-frequent workouts for a while, but eventually it wears you down.

Ideally, most people with average genetics for recovery ability and muscle building, should work out no more than 2 times a week with weights. This will allow proper time for both localized and systemic recovery. They should also focus exclusively on large, multi-joint exercises. For example, a good workout would be:

Monday:
Bench Press (hits chest, front delts, triceps)
Bent over Barbell Rows (hits lats, midback, biceps, rear delts, forearms)

Thursday:
Squats (lower back, glutes, quads, hamstrings, inner thighs, hips, even calves).

Alternatly, another good routine would be:

Monday:
Deadlift (every muscle on the back of the body, plus forearms)

Thursday:
Parallel bar Dips (Chest, front delts, triceps)
Pulldowns (Lats, rear delts, biceps, forearms)

These are obviously highly condensed workouts, but they hit very large amounts of muscle mass in a very short time. They will do more to stimulate growth than a hundred sets of curls or tricep extensions will ever do.

Some other tips:
Keep sets very low. 2 sets total per exercise - One set of moderate weight for warmup, then one "work" set of all out effort.

Keep reps high - 10 to 12 is a good range. If you can only get 6 or less reps on a set, the weight is too high. It will cause excessive stress on your joints and increase your chance of injury over the long term. If you can get 15 or more reps, the weight is too light, and it moving away from anaerobic exercise (feuled primarily by stored glycogen) to aerobic (using oxygen, much less productive).

Go to failure - lift the weight on your "work" set as many times as possible. Do not stop doing reps until you literally cannot lift it again. If you are able to get more than 12 reps, increase the weight by 10 or 20 pounds the next workout. If you cannot lift more than 12 reps, keep the weight the same on the next workout until you can get more than 12.

Other notes -
You should get stronger every workout. Even when I was losing body weight, going from 210 and fat to 170 and lean, I got stronger on every exercise, either increasing the number of reps I could do with a given weight, or increasing the amount of weight I could do. When I started I could not do a single parallel bar dip, when I finished I would do 8 with 70 lbs strapped to my waist.

Keep a journal - If you don't write down what weight you did for how many reps, it's impossible to keep your workout on track. Besides, a small spiral notebook and a pen are cheap. Plus it's fun to flip back the pages and see that you went from 155 on squats to 245 for 10 reps within the last 6 months
smily_headphones1.gif
And see that you are still gaining
biggrin.gif

Don't add more sets or exercises As you get stronger over time, the stress you place on your body goes up significantly. Your ability to recover from that stress doesn't go up at all. Never add more sets, it's worse than a waste of time, it's actually counter-productive. Just pour all the effort and intensity that you'd normally spread out over several sets into the single all out effort set. At first, maybe for the first month or 2, you will feel like you are not doing enough, that you should do more exercises or more sets. This is because you're body has not been re-trained to give 100% effort in a single set. As you stick to the single set over time, you will see that your ability to work and really grind out those last few reps of the set (which are by far the most important part of the entire set), that each set will become extremely taxing. Very quickly, as the weight you can lift goes up and up and up, the demands on your entire body becomes enormous, and you will finish the set and feel almost exhausted.

Aerobics While weight lifting must be very carefully regulated and not done very often due to how demanding it is on your body, aerobics are much less intense, and can be done with much greater frequency. One critical point about aerobics (and Orpheus alluded to this), is that they burn calories while you do them, but the do very little for raising your metabolism. Metabolic rate is directly related to lean body mass (muscle), so if you want a faster metabolism, hit the weights as hard as you possibly can. Then use aerobics for additional burning of calories.

I will note, that if you can be disciplined and get your diet to be around 1500 to 1700 per day, there's not really a need for aerobics. I went from 210 to 170 over 10 months by keeping calories in this range and simply hitting the weights super hard. But, if you can't get your calories below 2000 per day on a consistent basis, then doing aerobics to burn that 300-400 extra calories is an excellent alternative.

Final Note - Genetics As with everything else, people exist on a continuum with regard to their natural ability to excel in any given area. I know some people will say something along the lines of "But I know a couple of guys that got really muscular working out all the time and doing lots of sets and exercises". And I would agree with that completely. But I would also point out that some people are genetically gifted with regard to weight training, and that they would make progress almost no matter what they did. But what is true of the genetically gifted is not true of the genetically average (which is the vast, vast majority of us).

Look at sprinting as a parallel example. I'm a slow white guy. If I did the perfect training and perfect nutrition, and perfect everything, I would still never be as fast as Carl Lewis, even if Carl Lewis didn't train at all, or even if he trained in completely the wrong manner. He'd still kick my @ss on the track. But if Carl Lewis DID train completely wrong, but I looked at how fast he was and said to myself, "Man, he's so fast and he's using this particular workout, then if I want to be fast like Carl Lewis, I should use the same workout he does". Pretty silly right? But I hear people all the time say that if "If I want to look like Arnold, I should train like Arnold". It's the same mistake, just a different field of endevor. For the vast majority of people, even if they trained perfectly and had perfect diets and perfect everything, would never, ever look like Arnold, or even get close to looking like him. It's just not in the genetic cards for them. But you CAN improve, and improve a LOT, over where you are without proper (or any) training. Just like I could get faster if I trained properly, but regardless of how good my training, I'd never be as fast as Carl Lewis.

To sum up, keep the workouts very brief, super intense, infrequent, and have realistic expectations for your progress. This type of workout will be far more productive than the traditional 3-5 days per week, 3 exercises per bodypart, 3 or more sets per exercise, marathon weight training that many advise. But even if it's not "more" productive, even if it's only the same level of productiveness, wouldn't you rather only spend 2 days a week in the gym for 30 minutes each, rather than 3-5 times a week in the gym for an hour or more at a time?

Jun 23, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #114 of 144
Orpheous....you raise a good point about muscle burning more calories. I suppose if a person only had time for one or the other (weight training or aerobics), some sort of circuit weight training would be best with minimal rest between sets to keep the heart rate up. I have a Stairmaster in my basement and do 40 minutes 4 days a week keeping the bpm around 135-140. At 160 lbs. this ends up being about 600 calories per session for me.

Your workout is great but it's easier for us older guys to overtrain
icon10.gif
. I've been working out regularly my whole life but I look (and feel) better now at 44 years old than I did at 25. I'm 5'8", 160lbs. 44" chest with 31" waist and I believe about 14% bodyfat. About three years ago I knocked backed the weights to a 7 day cycle (work everything 1 time per week) and I have actually GAINED muscle which they say is difficult to do when you are over 40. I pay much more attention to diet now than I did when I was younger and I'm sure this helps.

Anyway, no matter how overweight, I applaud anyone that is out there chuggin' away, running and sweating, etc trying to improve their wellness. I feel like hi-five'ing them for encouragement.

Jun 25, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #117 of 144
i have a question. in order to burn fat, you should do a low intensity (low bpm) workout. when, then, are you supposed to do high intensity? once you are in shape and want to maintain it?

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #118 of 144
Quote:

i have a question. in order to burn fat, you should do a low intensity (low bpm) workout. when, then, are you supposed to do high intensity? once you are in shape and want to maintain it?

well, i haven't read this thread in it's entirety but in my understanding, the best way to burn fat is to do high intensity interval training. stuff like sprinting for a minute, jogging for a minute, sprinting for a minute, etc. gets the fat burning job done in 15-20 minutes i'm told. and if you do it right, 15 minutes is about all you can take. (all i can take in my current state anyways)

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #119 of 144
Fat loss is exclusively the result of burning more calories than you consume, assuming that you do NOT lose lean muscle tissue. If you do high intensity weight workouts once or twice (at MOST) a week, you will NOT lose muscle. Then you simply have to cut your calories to 1500 per day, and the fat just melts off.

The ONLY reason to do aerobics (with regard to fat loss) is if you simply cannot discipline yourself to eat a measly 1500 calories per day. For example, if you simply cannot eat under 2000 calories a day, then simply do enough aerobics to burn an additional 400 to 500 calories, to make up the difference.

This guy has a great web page that covers a lot of this and he's gotten even better results than I have. Of course he's been doing it longer too
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.baye.com/index.html

His journal entries are particularly good.

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #120 of 144
I'm happy to say I've dropped about 7 pounds since the last time I posted in this thread threatening to show a "before" picture
evil_smiley.gif

Its amazing how much you lose when you simply cut out soft drinks and sweetened hot beverages. (I still have my morning and afternoon coffee but that's it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back