Taking control my my weight again...
Jun 18, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #91 of 144
I enjoyed reading your little story.

I'm only 21, almost 22, and I've had my ups and downs too.

When I was a kid I was always skinny. Hit my teens and I started gaining weight. Started out wrestling in high school and gained a lot more weight. I was 5'10" and 220 pounds, but I had a stocky build. I was bench pressing close to 300 pounds then. Dropped wrestling and started playing tennis. By the time I graduated I was 6' and 180 lbs.

Entered college and hit a low. Got up to 250 pounds and lost a lot of muscle. Was able to get down to 220 last year because of overworking/poor diet. Gained it all back fairly quickly.

Now I'm still at the 250. Got up to 260 when I went overseas but over the past month I lost the 10 pounds with a lot of exercise. I started weight training again too, something I haven't done since high school. I can't do the 300lbs anymore, but I'm working on high reps low weights. I'd like to get down to a slim and toned 180. As far as diet, I haven't done anything drastic. I'm just eating smaller portions, and trying to cut out the junk food (sodas, chips, candy) though I still have pizzas and burgers now and then, and beers. I'm unemployed and I just go to school right now, attending medical school next year, so being summer I do have a lot of time to either lose the weight or gain more.

Jun 18, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #92 of 144
heh he, so did you ever end up calling her up?
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #93 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro
The biggest mistake I always see people make when trying to lose weight is inadequate protein intake. Yes, fruits and vegetables are important and should be a big part of the picture but when you are in a caloric deficit and don't get adequate protein, you will lose lean body mass (muscle) in addition to the fat. This is a nightmare for most guys as muscle is hard enough to attain. Protein will also keep the bloodsugar levels in check.

Good post, and a very important point. I've been drinking these Muscle Milk shakes and eating a lot of chicken and turkey. When I was in Flroida the other day, I stopped at GNC and picked up 4 boxes of Protein Plus energy bars (of course they have carbs and fats in them too, but at least the name says protein). Just the fact that I'm thinking about it helps. Shifting a diet away from mostly carbs and fats when that is what you've known for years on end is not something that comes easily. I'll keep reading about nutrition and try to keep ready sources of protein on hand.

Jun 18, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #94 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
I enjoyed reading your little story.

I'm only 21, almost 22, and I've had my ups and downs too.

When I was a kid I was always skinny. Hit my teens and I started gaining weight. Started out wrestling in high school and gained a lot more weight. I was 5'10" and 220 pounds, but I had a stocky build. I was bench pressing close to 300 pounds then. Dropped wrestling and started playing tennis. By the time I graduated I was 6' and 180 lbs.

Entered college and hit a low. Got up to 250 pounds and lost a lot of muscle. Was able to get down to 220 last year because of overworking/poor diet. Gained it all back fairly quickly.

Now I'm still at the 250. Got up to 260 when I went overseas but over the past month I lost the 10 pounds with a lot of exercise. I started weight training again too, something I haven't done since high school. I can't do the 300lbs anymore, but I'm working on high reps low weights. I'd like to get down to a slim and toned 180. As far as diet, I haven't done anything drastic. I'm just eating smaller portions, and trying to cut out the junk food (sodas, chips, candy) though I still have pizzas and burgers now and then, and beers. I'm unemployed and I just go to school right now, attending medical school next year, so being summer I do have a lot of time to either lose the weight or gain more.

You've probably got the same type of body frame that I do (and that many people who have posted on this thread seem to have). About 6'0" and kind of a wide body (or at least I'm assuming so, given that you've been able to bench 300 pounds). Already up to 260 just the other day and not yet 22! Sound a lot like me (although I've never benched nearly that much).

You've got to be careful with that junk food. If you don't make permanant changes to your eating habits - which stay with you even as your enthusiam for the gym comes and goes - then you'll be on a slippery slope all of your life. I went through my 20's in the 250-275 range, for the most part, and never had anywhere near the energy that I did when I hit 30 and lost a ton of weight (and got safely under 200 for several years).

So it's really up to you, but don't think that the gym will be your answer. Unless and until you impose some discipline into your diet (which cannot really ever happen with any long-term effectiveness until you're taught yourself a lot about nutrition and understand food types), you will forever yo-yo in the 250 pound region. Your body will gravitate back to this weight because that's the way you are built.

To be a lean and muscular 180, you have to be thinking in terms of a long term commitment, and the reality is that it's about 80% diet and only 20% exercise. Especially when I was younger, I would think that I could just go nuts at the gym and all would be well. That's not the case at all, and if you look around next time you're at the gym you'll see what I'm talking about. All kinds of guys with big arms, skinny legs, and a big pouch of a stomach. Most of them can bench press an impressive stack of weight but are really kidding themselves in terms of their overall fitness level. Beer drinkers, one and all.

Jun 18, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #95 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
heh he, so did you ever end up calling her up?
biggrin.gif

Nah, I've got to make her wait the standard 3-4 days first.

Jun 18, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #96 of 144
Thought I'd post a little follow up of my own. About 4 months ago I injured my hand, a tendon injury, and had to stop working out. I also stopped eating my normal diet and piling on a little bit more sweets than normal. Went to the doctor about 6 weeks ago to checkup on my hand, and had gone from 170 to 187, a pretty rapid weight increase. It kinda snuck up on my, but in retrospect it makes sense because when I stopped working out my metabolism slowed way down. Plus, my blood pressure was high. So, I got the OK to start working out again, I started dieting again, and I gave up drinking alcohol except for the very rare social drink. Net result is that I'm down to 174 after 6 weeks and my strength is increasing considerably each week. 2 or 3 more weeks and I should be back to my 170 weight.

As background, I was at 210 two years ago & dieted and exercised steadily over a year and a half to get to 170 again. It's amazing how quickly it will come back if you done remain vigilant about exercise and moderation in your eating.

Jun 18, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #97 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
As background, I was at 210 two years ago & dieted and exercised steadily over a year and a half to get to 170 again. It's amazing how quickly it will come back if you done remain vigilant about exercise and moderation in your eating.

I don't understand metabolism as well as you do, but it seems to me that you have to essentially "trick" your body into the optimal condition that you're seeking (for you, 170 and with lean muscle mass). Then the minute you quit paying attention to your diet and exercise, your body is essentially relieved of the stress you're putting on it and says "Ok, it's party time!" In other words, your body is actively fighting to feed those fat cells and 210 is probably more of a "natural" weight for you. Not your ideal, but it's what your body wants to do - and unless you continually intervene, it will.

Jun 18, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #98 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I don't understand metabolism as well as you do, but it seems to me that you have to essentially "trick" your body into the optimal condition that you're seeking (for you, 170 and with lean muscle mass). Then the minute you quit paying attention to your diet and exercise, your body is essentially relieved of the stress you're putting on it and says "Ok, it's party time!" In other words, your body is actively fighting to feed those fat cells and 210 is probably more of a "natural" weight for you. Not your ideal, but it's what your body wants to do - and unless you continually intervene, it will.

Yes, it's about your body's "setpoint", the natural weight it wants to keep itself. Of course there will always be some genetic factors that come into place but we can all altar our setpoints by increasing our metabolisms (exercise and frequent small meals) and changing our eating habits. That's really what it's about....eating habits. Dieting is only a short term solution but changing one's eating "habits" is what will keep the weight off. For example, you need to get out of the "habit" of having that 1,200 calorie Wendys/McDonalds burger and fries lunch, particularly if you have a sedentary lifestyle/job. Go ahead and splurge occasionally but try to cut back drastically the next day to offset it. All those pounds didn't come on overnight and you can't expect them to come off overnight either. Stick with it and change the habits.

Jun 19, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #99 of 144
Congratulations Wmcmanus!

One day at a time as they say. Yeah I got down in weight then started working out. I’m wearing the 36-inch Levis now and they fit great.

I did 3 dives this weekend. Got a gold ring with a blue sapphire and 2 silver rings amongst other goodies. I wouldn’t of even tried to dive if I didn’t get into shape.

Keep up the good work.

Mitch

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #100 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
I did 3 dives this weekend. Got a gold ring with a blue sapphire and 2 silver rings amongst other goodies. I wouldn’t of even tried to dive if I didn’t get into shape.

Keep up the good work.

Mitch

Thanks, Mitch... I think I need to get out there this week and take another dip in the 'pool'. Maybe a couple of dives would do the trick. Been feeling a little in a rut of late with the usual cardio machines. You don't really realize until you get out of the water, but a typical 2 tank dive gives you a pretty nice workout.

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #101 of 144
So I guess my kids are on board for this too...for Father's Day, they got me a very nice Polar heart rate monitor. This is one of the coolest gifts I've ever received...I just exercised with it, and it's VERY useful for making sure that I am in and STAY in the cardio exercise zone (80% MAX heart rate). I'm wiped out now, and that's nothing but good!!
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #102 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
So I guess my kids are on board for this too...for Father's Day, they got me a very nice Polar heart rate monitor. This is one of the coolest gifts I've ever received...I just exercised with it, and it's VERY useful for making sure that I am in and STAY in the cardio exercise zone (80% MAX heart rate). I'm wiped out now, and that's nothing but good!!
biggrin.gif

Tom, could you link out to the specific product that you have? I've been thinking about getting something similar. I'm fine with my exercise equipment for in-home workouts becasue they all have hear rate monitoring, but I've been thinking about doing more outdoors types of things (brisk walks on the beach, riding my bike, etc).

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #103 of 144
Mine is a Polar RS100...it does a lot more than just monitor heart rate, but I've not yet been able to really read over the manual.

Here is a link to a posting on Amazon.com...and of course, don't forget to use the head-fi link to start your shopping.
biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=1036592

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #104 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Mine is a Polar RS100...it does a lot more than just monitor heart rate, but I've not yet been able to really read over the manual.

Here is a link to a posting on Amazon.com...and of course, don't forget to use the head-fi link to start your shopping.
biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=1036592

Thanks for the link, Tom, and also for the reminder to start with a click on the Amazon link from Head-Fi. Not sure how much that helps, but it all counts. Just ordered one.

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #105 of 144
“they got me a very nice Polar heart rate monitor.”

Dude that has WiFi. When you flat line it emails your kids telling them it’s time to spend the inheritance.

“but a typical 2 tank dive gives you a pretty nice workout.”

It gives me a glorious level of exhaustion. I dive on the weekends, work out for 45 minutes during the week and walk 45 minutes everyday.

I use the Bullworker X5 and work out in my bedroom. That thing works if you follow the instructions.

For me variety is important- variety in food and in exercise. Instead of adding more of one exercise I’ll try to add a different form like the swimming in the last 3 weeks.

Plus a local Health oriented grocery store opened up. I can basically eat anything they sell with moderation since it’s more contentiously prepared.

Keep up the good work Wmcmanus. The longest journey is still one step at a time. And after all the hard work a pretty women’s smile is worth it all.

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back