Taking another step towards perfection
Nov 29, 2009 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Sephael

Head-Fier
Hi guys!

I've been using my EP-630 for quite a while now, and it seems that the left earphone is kind of broken.. kind of less audible or something, i dont know.

Anyways, my question is:

What would you recommend to someone after the ep 630? Something a little bit more expensive but with better sound quality too
smily_headphones1.gif

My music taste is very wide - Sephael’s Music Profile – Users at Last.fm As you can see on my last.fm profile.

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 20
Have you checked if there is any ear wax behind the behind the metal mesh? Your left earphone might be 'kind of less audible' because the driver is blocked by some buildup of earwax.

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 20
Check out RE2+Fiio E5 combo, SoundMagic PL50's, NuForce NE-7M`s and MEElectronics Ai-M6. I am no expert but these are well regarded in these forums. I bought the first one recently, and I am pretty happy about it. You should know though, they don`t have too much bass, which I regard as a good thing, especially after the boomy EP-630`s.

Also you should read this awesome review round-up:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...7-09-a-453836/

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 20
So I've been reading up on the IEMs and decided to pick one of these:

Cyclone PR1 Pro

Soundmagic PL50 (i'm a little concerned with the design of the tips...single flange, a quite flat to top that
frown.gif
Are those tips smaller than those of ep630s or is it just me?)

i MIGHT be getting head-direct RE0... But that depends on how much is the delivery going to rape my wallet and if it's really worth the money without any amp (for the time being).

The main problem is, it's really hard to get any of these here in Europe. I COULD buy them from ebay/amazon/headroom, but the delivery is just..insanely long and/or expensive
frown.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 20
The Cyclones and Soundmagics should be easy enough to get - the Cyclones ship with a flat-rate $12 charge (ebay) and the Soundmagics ship free from mp4nation and focalprice (yes, these will take a while). Also I'm pretty sure Head-Direct has a flat $10 charge for worldwide shipping of the RE0.

The tips on the PL50 are fine. There are actually four sizes of silicones so you should be able to find one that fits.

The RE0 scales well with an amp but actually sounds pretty good without one as well.

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 20
hmm, that's interesting! The $10 charge is amazing, I'm probably gonna get the RE0's, since they are even cheaper now (dropped from 100 to 80 recently
redface.gif
)

The old price ($200) included the "free amp", right? Or were they really so expensive some time ago?

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The old price ($200) included the "free amp", right? Or were they really so expensive some time ago?

They were $239 originally but dropped to $169 early in their lifetime. The amp included was a Fiio E3, which costs a whopping $7 if purchased separately.

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 20
haha, slick. So until I get paid I'd like to research more - are there any other headphones in the RE0 price/value range ?

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 20
Others to consider are the Hippo VB, Etymotic Hf5, Fischer Audio Eterna, Klipsch Image S4. The Hippo VBs are kind of new but have been quite well received so far. Ety Hf5s are apparently quite similar to ER-4s, which is a hell of a compliment, but I haven't seen them directly compared to RE0s. FA Eternas seem to be fun phones but not that accurate, and S4s apparently require 100+ hrs of burn-in to get rid of their sibilance issue.

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #10 of 20
$239 to $79? Wow.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I just saw this

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/n...3/#post6197937

And got a little disappointed...

Awaiting more info
frown.gif

Nothing wrong with the new cables. The angled plug seems quite sturdy to me. Defective unit, not indicative of a trend.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Others to consider are the...Fischer Audio Eterna...

Has someone in the US started selling the Eternas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back