Take a look at my buget rig
Feb 22, 2010 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Rune3400

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, i am a starving student with limited money to spend. This shows in my rig to: Cowon S9 (silver minijack)-> Mini3 portable amp -> standart HD600.

I have been quite happy with this setup, but then came the day i tried my HD600's on a real amp and a cd player. I was blown away and suddenly my own rig was a bit lame.

But as i said i dont have that much money, so every upgrade needs to count. Now i am trying to figure out where the money does best. Should i buy a very good desktop amp? (i can save up 400$ i necessary) or is it a new cable for my HD 600 i should buy?

I am using 320kbs mp3 or flac with my cowon and im not interested in a cd player, so i think ill have to keep it.

What amp should i buy and is 400$ enough, what is enough to blow me away?

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 14
The Matrix Mini DAC/headamp has pretty good synergy with the HD600s IME
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune3400 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, i am a starving student with limited money to spend. This shows in my rig to: Cowon S9 (silver minijack)-> Mini3 portable amp -> standart HD600.

I have been quite happy with this setup, but then came the day i tried my HD600's on a real amp and a cd player. I was blown away and suddenly my own rig was a bit lame.

But as i said i dont have that much money, so every upgrade needs to count. Now i am trying to figure out where the money does best. Should i buy a very good desktop amp? (i can save up 400$ i necessary) or is it a new cable for my HD 600 i should buy?

I am using 320kbs mp3 or flac with my cowon and im not interested in a cd player, so i think ill have to keep it.

What amp should i buy and is 400$ enough, what is enough to blow me away?

The one thing you shouldn't buy is a new cable. A cable will make no difference soundwise.

You should invest in a headamp or a DAC/Amp solution. I have the Maverick Audio D1 used as a DAC/Tube Preamp for a Corda Headfive. I got the Mav for $200 shipped and the H5 for about $180 shipped, which falls just underneath your maximum budget. It works very well for both high and low impedance phones, and while I have only heard the HD600 on other people's rigs, I have heard that the Headfive synergizes well with the HD6*0 series.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

The Matrix sounds good on all my headphones and its a multi-purpose piece of equipment. On the other hand, I recently got the Little Dot MK VII+ for $379 that beat the hell out off all my headphones. Its like driving headphones out of a speaker amp.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 14
I agree: don't waste your money for a cable.
A dac is useful for you? Does the cowon have a digital output?
My first idea would be a fully modded used x-can v3. It goes very well with your HD and since the V8 is out, you may get a v3 used for 200 - 300 Euros.
Fully modded means, little pinkie and perhaps Pink Floyd mods.

Other idea is earmax. But I haven't seen one used (its too good to sell ;o)

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

This is why I love head-fi. Thank you for this link! I've been searching all week for a good desktop DAC/Amp for less than $500. I am heavily considering this beauty. The seller also has other cheaper dac/amp combos without the screen, but the mini-i just looks beautiful. If it had a crossfeed filter it would be perfect.

OP, I think this is what you're looking for also. Also, don't forget to use bing cashback to get 8% off.

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 14
Go for tubes, you won't regret it.

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 14
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I am looking into it, i also think tube is a good idea, since i have read it sounds warm, just like my sennheisers and i prefer that over an agressive sound signature like gradoes or so.

Suneebear: What you said about the Little dot, made me interestedt. What im looking for is as i said a big sound as i heard it from a friends speaker reciver.

mironathetin: The cowon only has a minijack port, but i have heard it is of a good quality. I am also very confused about this DAC thing, isent it just for cdplayers? I am using my Cowon S9 (an mp3)

Something im also in doubt about, is that the sennheisers are high impendence (300ohm) and that the amp must suit that. I dont know a lot about amps and dacs, but is there this single one considered a very good tube amp for the money, whether it costs 200 or 400$. 200$ would perhaps be better, but all sugestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot everyone!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 14
"I am also very confused about this DAC thing, isent it just for cdplayers?"

More or less yes.
Dac is a digital to analog converter. In your cowon you already have a dac chip and what you get out of your minijack is already converted to analog by the internal dac. I guess a dac is useless for your setup and you may save a good amount by investing in an amp only, without dac.

A dac has a digital input only, either toslink, digital cinch or usb. Thats indeed useful for a cd player with an adequate digital output.

The only exception to my knowledge is the iPod. Wadia builds a dock that gets digital data from the iPod through its dock connector. In theory the cowon should also be able to send digital through its connection to a computer. But I don't know details.

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #13 of 14
The LD MK VII+ is a powerful amp. David at LD said it's a monster and that it is. Even at low volumes, it really pushes your headphones to it's limits.
The Matrix is still a wonderful piece of equipment. I'm not using it's headphone out now but I'm using it's balance out to drive the LD.

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 14
Hmm, it doesnt sound like to LD MK VII+ is THE thing? Maybe there is something better for the money, it is also at the edge of my budget.

But the problem with the matrix is that it is also a dac, which i do not need. So i gues i am looking for a high impendence friendly, stationary tube amp for around 200$ and up - any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back