Take a break!
Mar 6, 2010 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

sebhuber

100+ Head-Fier
I recently lost my pleasure in listening to headphones and my ears didn't enjoy my music collection anymore. I was sad, mostly because I made an investment: JH13s.
So I decided to make an insane move: not listening to my headphones for 2 days straight (today, I couldn't last anymore)!
First song I listened to was Pinball Wizard by the Who. OMG, pure musical bliss. My ears were balanced out (I took care in cleaning them extensively) and I was reassured of my investment. All my music sounds just as if I listened to it for the first time.
So what I take from this is: If you are unsure of why you invest into high end gear, take a break!

behind blue eyes gives me the chills
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 19
I did this when I was experiencing pain from sharp highs at higher volumes. I took a few days off a few times, to let my hearing muscles recover, or let callouses develop on my eardrums or whatever, can't really say what happened but the problem is largely gone now.

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
callouses
tongue.gif

LOL:

1. callous (adjective)
2. callous (transitive verb)

1 a : being hardened and thickened b : having calluses <callous hands>
2 a : feeling no emotion b : feeling or showing no sympathy for others : hard-hearted

Mar 6, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 19
I will keep it in mind, in case I run bored of my rig.
smile.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 19
After "Headphone System" listening for most week days I always turn to my main system in my dedicated Rm. (yep I'm lucky) I only play Vinyl in this room. Before you know it the weekend is gone so it's back to my "Headphone System" starting Monday after work...I believe this practice has given my ears a rest and the ability to appreciate both systems for their own advantages and magic.....Make any sence??

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 19
totally

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9pintube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After "Headphone System" listening for most week days I always turn to my main system in my dedicated Rm. (yep I'm lucky) I only play Vinyl in this room. Before you know it the weekend is gone so it's back to my "Headphone System" starting Monday after work...I believe this practice has given my ears a rest and the ability to appreciate both systems for their own advantages and magic.....Make any sence??

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 19
I was able to successfully walk away for almost 5 years... then about 3 weeks ago someone I've known a long time asked me if I could help him pick out some nice headphones, I said sure (not realizing I would be sucked back in). Needless to say, I've been on Head-Fi 3-4hrs/day ever since trying to catch up with whats changed.

The worst part is, I sold all my really good gear several years ago... so I'm essentially starting from scratch again. My wife ISN'T going to be happy about this

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif
That's an interesting story markkr. I wouldn't have thought that much would have changed.

There are allot of new companies to catch up with and I don't remember computer based sources being nearly as popular 5yrs ago, (I remember it being frowned upon).

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #13 of 19
Just took several days off. I was having problems at work and it's hard to get into music much while totally stressed and upset. Things got better by this weekend though so I'm back baby!
beyersmile.png

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did this when I was experiencing pain from sharp highs at higher volumes. I took a few days off a few times, to let my hearing muscles recover, or let callouses develop on my eardrums or whatever, can't really say what happened but the problem is largely gone now.

That is a very entertaining way to look at it. Thanks for the laugh.
beyersmile.png

With that said, yes i agree, a break is definitely something i would recommend. Everytime i go back home to visit my parents and come home again to my rig, it's as if it were the first time. I absolutely love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back