Takatsuki Electric TA-300B
Mar 27, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #76 of 189
I wait about 30 minutes also, but sometimes (usually weekends) the amp is on all day and I may not get to listening for hours. I should also mention that I burn in for at least 48 hours (12 hrs a day) using the JLab tool. It uses white and pink noise, as well as various frequency sweeps (with breaks in between). I found this has a more profound effect than just playing music through it, and it accelerates the burn in effect.

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #77 of 189
Would be interesting to know if you got your STC4300B tubes, any impressions are very welcome.

THX
Quote:
Dear nd4speed,
   Thanks for your impression.
   I am looking forward for more impression after burnin and would like to have
the comparison between this version and the new version.  Hope will get that info
soon because I don't want to spend another 40,000 Yen for the new version if the performance
are not much different.   I finally purchased the STC4300B  pair (mint condition ) as soon as
I saw in other website that the price of one NOS STC300B pair with box is double around 4000+$
I hope they will arrive in two weeks so that I can compare with my original WE300B and Mazda PP5/400
I hope I can get the TA300B to compare too but the expense is too much for this month budget

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #78 of 189
Would be interesting to know if you got your STC4300B tubes, any impressions are very welcome.
    Thanks for the interest.  I got a pair of STC4300B.   However I sent my amplifier for modification.
Will have it back early next week and will be able to provide the initial impression next week

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #79 of 189
I asked Keiko at Amtrans about the Takatsuki 274b pricing, and she confirmed they weigh in at 80,000 Yen per tube. I fedback that a rectifier being more pricey than a equivalent triode was odd!

Current pricing is for a pair of Takatsuki 274b - 160,000
For takatsuki 300b revised is 135,000 approx

I would assume that triodes are more difficult to construct than diodes - though not being an expert perhaps someone can comment on this.

My *guess* is that the pricing reflects the quantity of rectifiers used in common amplifier configurations - ie do most SETs out there use just the one fullwave rectifier? My woo5 uses 2 and this really prices the taka 274b out of my reach which is rather dissapointing. 

Were talking 2/3 times the cost of NOS Mullard fullwaves!

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #81 of 189

Quote:
Awesome pic, I considered going down the EC route, I'm really happy with my Woo - but I always wonder how it would of sounded. Living in England doesn't make it easy to audition this kit!

I had the opportunity to have listened to both and found the Woo W5 better in all aspects. At the time I used the western electric 300b/tungsol 1942 round plate/eml 5ug4.

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #82 of 189

Quote:

THX

+1 I'd be very interesting to see how these stack up to your vintage WEs.
popcorn.gif

Has anyone else noticed the unusual increase of "etched base" WEs on ebay? Unfortunately they look really, really fake.

May 8, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #83 of 189
Hello guys,

I have 2 pairs of white base TA-300b for sale in Europe. Have used them for max. 50 hours in my Audio Note Kegon amps. As I have sold the amps with cheaper tubes, Takasukis are available for sale if someone needs.
Have also 2 pairs of  year 2000. made WE 300b.
All info on gromada330@msn.com

May 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #84 of 189
popcorn.gif

Has anyone else noticed the unusual increase of "etched base" WEs on ebay? Unfortunately they look really, really fake.

The STC4300 A or B are wonderful tubes.  I don't have the Takatsuki 300b so I can not compare with that. However I do have
several WE300B from engraved , 1950 1960 to other vintage years.   The STC4300's are  burning in now.  From what I can say is that
I rank them the same level as WE300B 1960's especially the STC4300A.  The mid is one of the best , very smooth flowing, full
and rich (not like the WE300B),   the bass is dynamic and impactful, the soundstage is as large  as WE 300B
I  also noted the etched base WE300B on ebay , however I know from one of my seller that he has recently acquired 5 engraved WE300B
but no original box.   Two pairs are almost matched and with very strong test.  However I have not much experience to say that they are fake or not.
I have not enough fund now which is good because if the price is attractive I may be tempted to purchase another pair for real  daily use.  The engraved WE300B
NOS that I have I rarely use I only tested them , after  limited burn in I leave in storage until show time.

May 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #85 of 189
Quote:
popcorn.gif

The STC4300 A or B are wonderful tubes.  I don't have the Takatsuki 300b so I can not compare with that. However I do have
several WE300B from engraved , 1950 1960 to other vintage years.   The STC4300's are  burning in now.  From what I can say is that
I rank them the same level as WE300B 1960's especially the STC4300A.  The mid is one of the best , very smooth flowing, full
and rich (not like the WE300B),   the bass is dynamic and impactful, the soundstage is as large  as WE 300B
I  also noted the etched base WE300B on ebay , however I know from one of my seller that he has recently acquired 5 engraved WE300B
but no original box.   Two pairs are almost matched and with very strong test.  However I have not much experience to say that they are fake or not.
I have not enough fund now which is good because if the price is attractive I may be tempted to purchase another pair for real  daily use.  The engraved WE300B
NOS that I have I rarely use I only tested them , after  limited burn in I leave in storage until show time.

Thanks for the insights Kiertijai, I'm really glad you got a nice strong set. With this kind of money it's hard to purchase without test results on modern equipment. It's entirely possible to pay thousands and get something that's practically "half-dead" or worse. To be fair, one pair from the seller did look pretty good, but the other pair that the same seller had looked like the engraving was burned in with a wood burning iron.
tongue.gif

Regarding the STC: "the mid is one of the best , very smooth flowing, full and rich (not like the WE300B)" would you say that the mid range (vocal) quality is superior to the vintage WEs in regards to tone and smoothness? How would you characterize the treble reproduction? Very intriguing that the STC also has strong bass characteristics, typically noted as a weak quality of the WEs. Thanks.

May 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #88 of 189
Feb 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #90 of 189
Has anyone found a source for these tubes now that amtrans cannot ship them to the US?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back