Takatsuki Electric TA-300B
Mar 19, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #61 of 189
After 20 hours I can say that any trace of the "Shrillness" I described in my post on Friday has gone, will reserve any further comments(other than I'm really enjoying these bottles!) till 100 hours. 
L3000.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #62 of 189
Thanks for your impressions, where only one thing I can share with you and that is the fact that Sophia RP's are exciting, thats goes to their "Mesh" line as well, however what folks do not share is that Sophia's do not sound natural and organic at all. Their bloom mids in "mesh" line catch your from the start, but when you using them for a while, you realize that bass do not have any control and the top end is simply metalic.
Same goes to RP line, they change their characteristics so much that the bass took the place of the mids, thats typical of their sound, they try to trick you and they succeed as well. After many hours of listening to RP's I got a headache and switching to AVVT's was an relief. More even, music was the one that catch me again and not stupid monster bass and way out of balance spectrum.

Dont want to argue here, but when you use these "tubes" in speaker amps you will be very surprised that their reability are very questionable. I read some posts about that and almost sure that other users just dont reporting such problems, cos Sophia offering great service, thats the only way they still in the business, but lets be honest guys, when you make a pair of tubes that cost like USD100 a pair of the factory, but you sale for USD1200, you can easy replace a few times, inst?

Quote:
The TA-300 is all round better sounding than the Carbon Sophia Princess but not necessary against Royal Princess.  As a matter of fact, they have different sounding character.  Sophia Royal Princess, to me is modern 300B sound, lot of bass weight, impact, fast, tight, it's louder, bigger sound, bigger stage.   TA-300 is very polite, very even, very comfortable to listen to for extended time, no fatique.  Royal Princess may easily given you the sense of more exicting, more dynamic, more swing but not necessary the super sweet, warm and romantic coloration of WE300B.   TA-300B is closer to that end of the spectrum.  Bottom line, it's great to have both, depends on the mood, plug the one that fits and sit back and enjoy.   I love them all.

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #63 of 189
Glow shot (well sorta
tongue.gif
):

Really early impressions:
I didn't notice any of the stridency in the highs that San Raal did, although my phone/amp combo is likely warmer; overall nicely extended airy highs. The thing that struck me first was the authoritative bass (although not overblown or loose). As you'd expect, the mids are the star of the show, layered, really smooth, and refined. Overall mid tone is just beautiful, although maybe a touch forward (just a touch).

One thing that disappointed was the build quality of the base. It looked a bit rough in areas, and the paint job left a lot to be desired. This was out of character with the rest of the build; the glass and internal construction was first rate. Heck even the presentation box it came in was befitting a high end aged Sake.

Loving the pair cold out of the box. Looking forward to how it develops.

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #64 of 189
Awesome pic, I considered going down the EC route, I'm really happy with my Woo - but I always wonder how it would of sounded. Living in England doesn't make it easy to audition this kit!

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #65 of 189
Dear nd4speed,
   Thanks for your impression.
   I am looking forward for more impression after burnin and would like to have
the comparison between this version and the new version.  Hope will get that info
soon because I don't want to spend another 40,000 Yen for the new version if the performance
are not much different.   I finally purchased the STC4300B  pair (mint condition ) as soon as
I saw in other website that the price of one NOS STC300B pair with box is double around 4000+$
I hope they will arrive in two weeks so that I can compare with my original WE300B and Mazda PP5/400
I hope I can get the TA300B to compare too but the expense is too much for this month budget

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #66 of 189

Quote:
Awesome pic, I considered going down the EC route, I'm really happy with my Woo - but I always wonder how it would of sounded. Living in England doesn't make it easy to audition this kit!

I can relate. I'm about 4 hours drive from the nearest meet "hotspot", so auditioning gear is a challenge to say the least. Based on other people's accounts, I think if I were shopping for an integrated today the WA5, Cary 300sei, and Decware Zen Torii would be on my short shortlist.

Quote:
Dear nd4speed,
   Thanks for your impression.
   I am looking forward for more impression after burnin and would like to have
the comparison between this version and the new version.  Hope will get that info
soon because I don't want to spend another 40,000 Yen for the new version if the performance
are not much different.   I finally purchased the STC4300B  pair (mint condition ) as soon as
I saw in other website that the price of one NOS STC300B pair with box is double around 4000+$
I hope they will arrive in two weeks so that I can compare with my original WE300B and Mazda PP5/400
I hope I can get the TA300B to compare too but the expense is too much for this month budget

Congrats on your purchase of the STC4300B
biggrin.gif
. I think if the SQ doesn't fit you, at the very least it looks like you made a very good investment. I don't think I'll be getting the new version of the Takatsuki unless there's a world of difference (my next tube I'm planning to be the EAT). However it looks like CADiver will probably post his comparison of new vs old here so stay tuned, I know I will.
popcorn.gif

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #68 of 189
Hi Blackmore,
Sorry I haven't posted updates in a while, I've been busy burning in my newly acquired Mullard tube and Berkeley DAC. I've got about 70 hours on the tubes so far, and I feel like they're fully baked in now (I think most of the change occurred about 40-50 hrs in).

The verdict is in, and it is good. I'm going to try not to start off by injecting too much hyperbole about this tube so I'll use one word to describe their sound signature: "natural".

Put your hyperbole filters on now, you've been warned.
wink.gif

The most striking characteristic about the presentation of these tubes is not necessarily in their commission, but in their omission. There isn't a hint of saccharin or other artificial sweeteners or flavors; this is sweet juice straight from the sugar cane; light, satisfying, and delicious (with abundant texture and chewiness thrown in for good measure). It's like being raised on soylent green your entire life and finally being given fresh fruit. It's eye opening to say the least. After the burn in, everything's become more lucid, the mids I commented about seemed to recede into the 3D presentation; overall just a smoother, more natural, refined tonal balance.

To contrast, my TJ Mesh globe is a good performer with a clear intent to voice towards the midrange of the spectrum (this is probably it's strongest attribute), however there's a definite lack of bass quantity, and treble is probably rolled off a bit too much (although a lesser sin then being "hot" IMO). Overall there is a bit of artificiality to it; you know you're being catered to to a certain extent, and something about the entire presentation doesn't sound quite real. As you'd expect, the Taka decisively trumps it in every area conceivable, rendering a checklist comparison futile. The whole is indeed greater than the sum of its parts.

If this is what the modern masters are up to, we're in for good times. There really is something to be said for old world craftsmanship; a handcrafted product may not look perfect, but in this case, the sonic results are self evident (Man-1, Machine-0). My minds ear imagined and craved a sound lauded on about by those that have been privileged enough to experience an etched based WE300B from the 50s. At $4K+ USD a pair, I doubt that common sense will get out of the way long enough for me to get the opportunity to; the funny thing is I long for it a LOT less now.
biggrin.gif

If you're seeking a more "organic" sonic experience out of this tube architecture, you'd be hard pressed to do better than this.

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #69 of 189
Thank you nd4speed, like your style to describe the sound and dont worry about hype I may get, cos the filtering is never switched off:) I have been lucky enough to have 3 pairs of differ 300B's, but also lucky enough by trying some Chinese made, which made my feelings about them very clear, never again.
Like you wrote, natural, thats all you need from your gear, however we all have our own opinion about the sound we think is natural, but from your description I think we on the same level. There is one thing that bothers me so far and that is the fact that you found the build quality not so. Leaving alone the paint job, do you mean that the base wasnt finished nice enough? Are there any other aspects you may discover so far. I just dont want to think that Japanese sold you the pair that may not pass the local market test, because of such small problems, but still. There is only one excuse I have for these, they made fully by hand and humans are not perfect. Many thanks for sharing that with us, will give us some idea that such things can happened, however it wouldnt hurt Takatsuki if you mention this to them, they should know, imo.

THX

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #70 of 189
Yes, it's just the base of that's a bit shabby. The glass and internal structure have no problems at all.

It was difficult to capture on camera but here are two shots:
You can barely see them, but these are two tiny chips

Here you see a bit of the bubbly paint texture, and the chip that's in the back.

The other tube is chip free it seems, but a bit of the bubbly paint texture is there in places.

It is possible I got the "export" version of the tubes, but unless they make it known, it's impossible to tell for sure. The best advice I can give is to get them in person if you have business in Japan. I can let it slide only because I find the sound quality extraordinary, otherwise I would have sent them back in a heartbeat.

I'll send these pic off to Amtrans, it should be an easy process for them to fix if they haven't already (could be the reason for the new bases come to think of it).

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #71 of 189
I took my Takatsuki 300B's out of my amp for a visual inspection of the bases and touch wood I've not got the same marks on the bases, the glossy paint on the base does seem to be "bubbly" but this is inconspicuous once the tubes are sat in the amplifier a few feet away.

I have a JJ 300B that works fine that has a piece of stray glass in the envelope. My dealer did a special on it and said that JJ QC had gone down in recent years. Come to think of it in retrospect probably not such a great purchase as faults affect the resale value a lot!

Im holding my impressions, as I still haven't had enough time to fully form an opinion on these tubes, (about 70 hours on them) but rest assured will post back soon!

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #72 of 189
Thanks very much nd4speed, it wouldnt hurt to let them know, good work.

San Raal, just take you time mate, but do I feel a little stress there? Not sure about curent plate settings on your amp, but when tubes have differ current than your amp, you can have some sound differences. Also possible that on differ amps they will not perform the same. Whats on testing report of Takatsuki?

THX

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #73 of 189

Quote:
Thanks very much nd4speed, it wouldnt hurt to let them know, good work.

San Raal, just take you time mate, but do I feel a little stress there? Not sure about curent plate settings on your amp, but when tubes have differ current than your amp, you can have some sound differences. Also possible that on differ amps they will not perform the same. Whats on testing report of Takatsuki?

THX

No stress, well maybe a tiny bit - I've posted too soon about tube impressions before and rightly had my wrists tapped, so I don't want to go jumping the gun. At this stage can I get away with "Positive" & "Involving" ? :)

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #74 of 189
[size=10pt]Don't get me wrong, I am not pushing it, just curiosity. Like I wrote, take the time you think need it, however I always found interesting to hear the development of tubes during the whole period. Also new amps, very interesting to detect the changes.[/size]

[size=10pt]Just wonder, for how long you guys listen to your amps during the session? I mean, me, always warm up for like 1-2 hours before I sit and listen, but after 4 hours its totally differ story, what you think?[/size]

[size=10pt]THX[/size]

Quote:
No stress, well maybe a tiny bit - I've posted too soon about tube impressions before and rightly had my wrists tapped, so I don't want to go jumping the gun. At this stage can I get away with "Positive" & "Involving" ? :)

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #75 of 189

Quote:

[size=10pt]Just wonder, for how long you guys listen to your amps during the session? I mean, me, always warm up for like 1-2 hours before I sit and listen, but after 4 hours its totally differ story, what you think?[/size]

[size=10pt]THX[/size]

I find that my kit needs around 30 minutes to get to 90% of its best, then after about 3/4 hours its in its stride. I note this particularly so when using Grado cans and the nature of my tubes. From cold the Grado's can sound edgy at the top. I'm sensitive to top end sibilance and hash which is why I like the EML rec's and the CV181's. The comments in the 6 moons review were a big influence on the Takatsuki purchase which mirrored my preferences.

Not saying my system is rolled off, far from it, I just have very sweet, delicate highs which I enjoy. So why then did I buy Grado I hear people ask, I've always loved Grado house sounds, particularly the romantic and lush mid's and used tube selection to tame the top ends, I'm saving for LCD3 now because of the same craving.

The Takatsuki's are everything I want right now, fantastic bass that matches HD800 and K1000 and the beutiful detailed involving mid's that sound great with every pair of cans that I own. Texture is there, no grain or etched character with the detail. With the Taka's one doesn't feel force fed - you don't feel the need to keep rolling, its just about enjoying the music with these tubes 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back