Takatsuki Electric TA-300B
Mar 16, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #46 of 189

Quote:
@nd4speed thanks for the info.
are there any difference between the Takatsuki 300B old and new , except for the price difference?

I don't believe so. I asked Keiko from Amtrans if there were any internal design changes to this new batch of tubes and I was told "The renewed TA-300B will be the same internal design". However, the press release on the renewed tube mentions numerous "improvements", but relative to what? The original WE? Google translate didn't provide a very articulate translation. Perhaps if someone here reads Japanese they can offer some help:
http://www.takatsuki-denki.co.jp/pdf/TA-300B_TA-274B_pressrelease120308.pdf

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #47 of 189

Quote:
I think this press release mentions it's 80,000 Yen a piece ($960 USD):
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.takatsuki-denki.co.jp%2Fpdf%2FTA-300B_TA-274B_pressrelease120308.pdf

That's a lot of change for a rectifier! Based on those prices would  want to see some positive reviews beforehand.

The new 300B tubes look great, I prefer black bases on my tubes they match the rest of my rig, white bases don't do it for me. But OFC sound is king and there's always paint! 
wink_face.gif

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #48 of 189
When will be the price change for the new Takatsuki 300B  ?  17 April?
The price of the TA 274B  is really, really high  900$/tube
almost to the same price range of the Western Electric 's , they should be perfect with this price range

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #51 of 189

Quote:
Are they in and what are your impressions pls?

THX

Yes, just picked them up from the Depot, there was a hefty customs charge, but that wasn't unexpected!

Here are some photos of the packing and accessories, the cardboard box opened to a very light wooden box inside (Balsa?) then inside was material packing along with a foam insert.

The tubes sitting in their travel seats. :)

And sitting in my Woo 5 amplifier

Listening to them right now :) very early days yet so please take these observations with a very large pinch of salt. 

They are working perfectly no hum or hash, my guess is that these babies need some serious burning & resting time as they are sounding somewhat shrill - I guess the 10,000 mile trip from Japan to England has taken its toll somewhat.

Underneath that shrillness are some very nice lush and romantic mids - these "sound" like they will shape up to be a very involving listen. 

Will post some more impressions later, going to leave them warming up some more.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #52 of 189
Wow, thanks for sharing and pics, these are very beautiful tubes, man, I am dribbling ( not sure if the word is right ) up here:)

Do not be mad please, but take those BT out and put some good NOS 6sn7 in please
ksc75smile.gif
 Yes, give them like 100 hours or so, these are very new and need some warm up time.

THX

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #55 of 189
Quote:
nd4speed said:
I think this press release mentions it's 80,000 Yen a piece ($960 USD):

That's a lot of change for a rectifier!

Quote:
The price of the TA 274B  is really, really high  900$/tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Raal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

there was a hefty customs charge

they are sounding somewhat shrill

eek.gif
Man that's some serious dough for a single tube, for 5x the cost it had better settle down to be at least 10% better than a Sophia Princess...

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #56 of 189

Quote:

eek.gif
Man that's some serious dough for a single tube, for 5x the cost it had better settle down to be at least 10% better than a Sophia Princess...

The TA-300 is all round better sounding than the Carbon Sophia Princess but not necessary against Royal Princess.  As a matter of fact, they have different sounding character.  Sophia Royal Princess, to me is modern 300B sound, lot of bass weight, impact, fast, tight, it's louder, bigger sound, bigger stage.   TA-300 is very polite, very even, very comfortable to listen to for extended time, no fatique.  Royal Princess may easily given you the sense of more exicting, more dynamic, more swing but not necessary the super sweet, warm and romantic coloration of WE300B.   TA-300B is closer to that end of the spectrum.  Bottom line, it's great to have both, depends on the mood, plug the one that fits and sit back and enjoy.   I love them all.

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #57 of 189
I thought we were talking about the 274b that I asked about the price of, sorry for the OT
confused.gif

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #58 of 189

Quote:
The TA-300 is all round better sounding than the Carbon Sophia Princess but not necessary against Royal Princess.  As a matter of fact, they have different sounding character.  Sophia Royal Princess, to me is modern 300B sound, lot of bass weight, impact, fast, tight, it's louder, bigger sound, bigger stage.   TA-300 is very polite, very even, very comfortable to listen to for extended time, no fatique.  Royal Princess may easily given you the sense of more exicting, more dynamic, more swing but not necessary the super sweet, warm and romantic coloration of WE300B.   TA-300B is closer to that end of the spectrum.  Bottom line, it's great to have both, depends on the mood, plug the one that fits and sit back and enjoy.   I love them all.

Thanks for weighing in on these tubes. Your assessment seems to be consistent with the other reviews of this tube: that it has a "classic", more organic sound, in homage to the venerable WE of yore, while other tubes like EML, EAT, and RP have a "modern" sound, emphasizing high and low frequency extension, dynamics, etc. The question is: is it the best modern day "classic", or the "WE of our times" (as has been said elsewhere)?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back