Taction Technology KANNON Headphone
Mar 29, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #856 of 976
Last question : am i risking to damage the headphones if i use an EU phone wall charger ?

I sent them an email regarding the wall charger and stuff... and this is part of that email: "Your cell phone charger should also work (though if it is of lower amperage, it may be slower to charge)."

Mar 30, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #858 of 976
I swapped to Shure 840 pads as the original ones didn't quite fit my ears fully (I also had some other ones I tested quickly) but the Shure Pads worked best and even improved the sound noticeably besides giving a lot better comfort as the pads are slightly bit softer than the original ones and fully fits around the ear with ease. It both made the soundstage slightly larger (it was very bad with with the original pads for me) and made the highs ever so bit more pronounced. With stock pads I found the highs ever so slightly south of neutral and with the Shure pads it made them pretty much in-line with the mids. This obviously resulted in vocals and leads etc caming across ever so slightly sharper (still without any hints of sibilance) and the bass didn't change noticeably. I did increase the clamping force a bit since the pads being slightly more compressed from being softer I felt at first it possibly ever so slightly decreased the physical sensation from the tactile driver. The more shallower & softer pads you use the more clamping force you need too.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #859 of 976
So these or jvc sz2000?

Mar 31, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #860 of 976
There is a discussion about this on the extreme Bass Club thread and it seems that the JVC's have a better global bass feeling than the Kannons. I won't discuss the mechanics as i'm not an expert but it's explained there. Still personnally i don't want to destroy my hearing and i prefer a sound as clear as possible, not veiled or muffled, so i'm more than happy with the Kannons.

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #861 of 976
So these or jvc sz2000?

I think it depends on your priorities and whats the most important aspect of a basshead HP youre looking for.

I feel that the Kannon is a better overall headphone and bests the SZ2000 in most,if not all areas.However the bass on the Kannons isnt nuanced,textured or layered.It sounds/feels the same regardless of what youre listening to...The slam against your skull when listening to Black Sabbath is the same as the bass you get from Hip/Hop...its an odd thing.

I'd take the SZ2000 if your goal is BASS,and nothing else,and youre willing to get into massive EQing,amping,pad rolling,etc.The Kannons certainly have their quirks too though.

I discuss THE Kannon/JVC comparison in my video review which can be found on my YouTube channel.Link in signature.

Keep in mind,im not a basshead.I consider the JVC to be the worst sounding modern headphone Ive owned and didnt like the Kannons much better,so this is def a case of YMMV.

Apr 1, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #862 of 976
There is a discussion about this on the extreme Bass Club thread and it seems that the JVC's have a better global bass feeling than the Kannons. I won't discuss the mechanics as i'm not an expert but it's explained there. Still personnally i don't want to destroy my hearing and i prefer a sound as clear as possible, not veiled or muffled, so i'm more than happy with the Kannons.

That's exactly my view. If you are happy listening really loud all of the time and are prepared to put the effort into setting them up, the SZ2000 is great. I use the Kannons more because I can get the great bass effect without blasting them too loud.

When listening loud, the SZ2000 sound a bit more 'together' than the Kannons to my ear, but the Kannons are still very good. I think it will depend on the individual listener - the Kannons are effectively tricking your brain into thinking you are hearing deep bass, and I guess some brains will be more easily tricked than others!

I would say to anyone who is getting the Kannons - definitely give them a chance with an extended listen. I found them awful to start with, but I quickly got to like them, and now they get more listening time than any other my other pairs. I still find there are certain tracks that they just don't work with and others where I have to adjust the levels of Taction/Volume/Source Volume to get them sounding right, but not really that many.

Apr 1, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #863 of 976
Keep in mind,im not a basshead.I consider the JVC to be the worst sounding modern headphone Ive owned and didnt like the Kannons much better,so this is def a case of YMMV.

Totally agree. If you are not a basshead, then I couldn't recommend either of these pairs. The Kannons overall sound is better than the SZ2000 for me, but to get these to the UK costs £500. I have several pairs costing MUCH less than that which I greatly prefer for rock and jazz listening, but they can't touch the Kannons when it comes to EDM.

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #864 of 976
Totally agree. If you are not a basshead, then I couldn't recommend either of these pairs. The Kannons overall sound is better than the SZ2000 for me, but to get these to the UK costs £500. I have several pairs costing MUCH less than that which I greatly prefer for rock and jazz listening, but they can't touch the Kannons when it comes to EDM.
What would you suggest as a headphone for all round listening? For all the hip hop and reggae I listen too, there is also a lot of rock and metal.

Apr 1, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #865 of 976
What would you suggest as a headphone for all round listening? For all the hip hop and reggae I listen too, there is also a lot of rock and metal.

Whats your budget and amping situation?
Ive heard great things about the One More Triple Driver Over Ear...you might read up on it.
I have it inbound for a review and looking forward to giving it a day in court.

Apr 1, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #866 of 976
I use a sony zx300 with a sony portable amp or recently bought runabout. I suppose I am considering the £500 region.

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #867 of 976
Yeah the One More is 32ohms and very high sensitivity and is going for around 200-250.00usd.
Tyll essentially raved about it last week and Dave Hanson wrote an almost equally as glowing review of it yesterday.
I have yet to hear it so Im not going to tell you to run out and buy it,but based upon your setup and budget and the things Ive heard and read about it,done by people whose opinion I trust,I would strongly consider at least researching it.

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #868 of 976
Important to note about 1More though is that the Gold (EU) version is different from the Silver (US) version and the silver ones are better tuned! So europeans today would have to import it but a 1More rep here confirmed they will start selling also the silver ones here.

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #869 of 976
Important to note about 1More though is that the Gold (EU) version is different from the Silver (US) version and the silver ones are better tuned! So europeans today would have to import it but a 1More rep here confirmed they will start selling also the silver ones here.

Thank you...Good point I forgot to mention.

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #870 of 976

That is something I am struggling with, hence the reason I have so many pairs at the moment!

I suppose if it came down to choosing just one pair to keep then it would be the Kannons for the simple reason that they really offer something for EDM/bass driven music that none of the others can (with the exception of the SZ2000 at high volume).

They are pretty good with other types of music too, I just don't think they stand up very well at the £500 level for that use. For example, for home use listening to fast-paced rock music, I'd probably choose my Sennheiser HD650 over the Kannons and that is a £200 headphone now from Massdrop.

On the go, I like the wireless convenience of B&W PX or Nuraphone straight out of my iPhone, but I still find I am choosing to lug around the Kannons and my Cayin C5/Sony DAP combo if I am going to listen to bass heavy music because they offer that bit more.

The other thing for me is that most of my listening time for other music comes on my home hifi set up through speakers, so it is less of a priority for my headphones.

Sorry I can't be much help here, as I am going through the same situation myself. Kannons at their original Kickstarter price in the US would be great proposition as an 'only-headphone' as I could easily more forgive the shortcomings that I have highlighted in previous posts. At £500 they are a bit of luxury purchase and it is really eye-opening to see what other headphones you can buy for that price or less.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back