Taction Technology KANNON Headphone
Mar 13, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #841 of 976
I had that too, early on. But it disappeared totally after a short while with me making no changes.

That sounds promising, thanks! It is strange that it suddenly started happening as I have got quite a few hours on these now and then it suddenly started today.

I am wondering if it is battery/power related, but hopefully it will disappear like it has on your set.

I expect it is unrelated, but do you know what the flashing green light means? In the manual, I'm sure the green light was supposed to remain solid until the battery was low at which point it would start flashing twice a second. On my set, it seems to start flashing a few minutes after I pause the source which tends to suggest it is a standby mode.

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #843 of 976
I'm a few days into Kannon ownership now and am enjoying them more and more, but I came across a bit of an issue this morning.

I seem to be getting a loud, uneven whine through one or both ears that starts and stops randomly. It is as loud as the music I am listening to. At the end of my listening session this morning, it was coming out the right ear only and the only way to stop it was by turning the tactile button off and on again.

It is nothing to do with the source as it happens even when they are not plugged into anything.

Has anyone else had this? I am hoping it is easy to fix as I am in the UK and I don't really want to have to send them back to the US for repair or replacement.

I just had this happen a couple days ago, after having received my Kannons back from repair. Initially I had heard the right side whine a couple times, then eventually it was constant. Turning the taction off and then back on resolved the issue. I can't seem to think of anything that specifically triggered it, though.

@FightinJim are there any known issues with this?

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #846 of 976
That's a shame. I was hoping that this might have been an isolated problem with my pair. That would have meant the hassle of returning them, but at least I'd be left with a good pair in the end.

I have just used them for an hour pretty much non-stop over my lunchbreak and they were great right up until the end when the sound came back in both ears. I think it actually lowers the music volume which makes it seem even louder. I turned the taction off and on again and it worked fine.

I could probably live with it if the problem only occurred once in a while, but this morning it happened three times in 15 minutes. I'll see if it settles down.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #847 of 976
What repair did you require?

I guess I never posted about it here. A month or so ago, after having not had time to sit down with the Kannons for a couple of weeks, I went to use them and the Taction wouldn't turn on. The light wouldn't come on for it either. Sent them in (Jim offered to cover shipping, which was awesome) and when I received them back they were working again just fine. I have received a hand written note from Jim, which was a nice touch. Truly a dedicated man.

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #848 of 976
I just had this happen a couple days ago, after having received my Kannons back from repair. Initially I had heard the right side whine a couple times, then eventually it was constant. Turning the taction off and then back on resolved the issue. I can't seem to think of anything that specifically triggered it, though.

@FightinJim are there any known issues with this?

Yes, we've seen this fault come up a few times, and we're starting to get a handle on it.

What we've learned is that this kind of fault can occasionally happen if a "just right" impulse signal suddenly drives the tactile transducer from zero into hard clipping. Think of our signal processor (which processes ONLY the tactile path -- our processor never touches the acoustic signal) as a man listening along to the music in a dark room, and adjusting a knob to make sure you get the taction intensity you set. If it grows quiet, he puts his hand to his ear, cranes out his head to hear a faint whisper, turns the taction intensity to full-bore... and then he is suddenly punched in the face. That's the "pop." He staggers around. His bell is rung.

This fault is the sound of our tactile signal processor getting "clocked" by a big transient.

If it happens occasionally, it can be fixed by cycling the power and turning down the Taction a notch.

If it happens frequently despite taking it down a notch, it suggests there could be some unusual, frequent source of big "pops." A couple of potential causes and fixes come to mind:

a) mic with gain set high in computer and/or mic too close to the mouth. To fix - move the mic away from your mouth a bit, or turn down mic gain in software
b) cable or connection not well seated, which causes a disconnection/connection pop. To fix - make sure all connections firmly seated.

Kannons have a lot of power, and like the man says - with great power comes great responsibility. We deliberately give the listener the ability to take the Kannons right up to the edge of their performance envelope. We are discovering that for unexpected signals like these, we actually let you go past the edge, and we need for you to pull back on the stick when it happens.

To handle this fault, reset, and take it down a notch to get back inside the performance envelope. Also, find and control any source of clipping transients.

Best,
Fightin' Jim

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #849 of 976
That sounds promising, thanks! It is strange that it suddenly started happening as I have got quite a few hours on these now and then it suddenly started today.

I am wondering if it is battery/power related, but hopefully it will disappear like it has on your set.

I expect it is unrelated, but do you know what the flashing green light means? In the manual, I'm sure the green light was supposed to remain solid until the battery was low at which point it would start flashing twice a second. On my set, it seems to start flashing a few minutes after I pause the source which tends to suggest it is a standby mode.

Yes - gradual pulsing green is standby mode, waiting for a signal with tactile content. Hard ON/OFF blinking is the low battery signal. Best - FightinJim

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #850 of 976
Thanks for the info FightinJim,its only happened twice to me and i was pushing hard one time [ new toy/finding limits ] and gaming with the mic the other.
I have about 8 hours under my belt now at levels i like without it occuring.
Its a good thing, i dont think i could send them back easily!

Mar 14, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #851 of 976
Thanks for the info FightinJim,its only happened twice to me and i was pushing hard one time [ new toy/finding limits ] and gaming with the mic the other.
I have about 8 hours under my belt now at levels i like without it occuring.
Its a good thing, i dont think i could send them back easily!

It happened to me quite a lot yesterday, but I guess that the type of music I am using these for (well produced Drum & Bass like Photek) is going to be amongst the most challenging for s system like this.

I am quite happy to dial it back a bit. One of the reasons for buying the Kannons was to get closer to the type of bass response that I get from my SZ2000s without having to listen at the overall volume that I had to drive the SZs to in order to achieve that. I only used to use the SZs in short bursts because of that, and even then there was always the temptation to turn them down further.

As you say, I'd find it very difficult to be without these now if I ever did have to return them for any reason. After a difficult start last week, they just keep getting better and better.

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #852 of 976
Could that also happen if you pause a song, let's say for a minute, and then the first note that you hear is a huge loud bass?

Mar 15, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #853 of 976
I'm a few days into Kannon ownership now and am enjoying them more and more, but I came across a bit of an issue this morning.

I seem to be getting a loud, uneven whine through one or both ears that starts and stops randomly. It is as loud as the music I am listening to. At the end of my listening session this morning, it was coming out the right ear only and the only way to stop it was by turning the tactile button off and on again.

It is nothing to do with the source as it happens even when they are not plugged into anything.

Has anyone else had this? I am hoping it is easy to fix as I am in the UK and I don't really want to have to send them back to the US for repair or replacement.

Had that once as well. After charging it it disappeared

Mar 27, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #854 of 976
So... anyone here is still waiting for his pair of Kannons?

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #855 of 976
About the charge : i guess you have to turn the Taction button off to charge them, right ? If i don't the LED remains red which is probably not a good thing... Also, is there a way to know when the charge is complete ? The LED goes from orange to red when i charge but it never turns to another color, even after hours of charge. I thought that green = full charge, but it never seems to turn green when in charge. I have about 10 hours of use with Taction permanently turned to 8, does that seem fair ? Last question : am i risking to damage the headphones if i use an EU phone wall charger ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back