Taction Technology KANNON Headphone
Apr 25, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #121 of 976
When i look at the weight and size and price of a fiio e6 i wonder why they didn't implement an amp in this headphones. It would have been marvelous ! Being able to plug it in any poor amped source but still have a good SQ. The amps could have been placed in the headband for example

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #122 of 976
  When i look at the weight and size and price of a fiio e6 i wonder why they didn't implement an amp in this headphones. It would have been marvelous ! Being able to plug it in any poor amped source but still have a good SQ. The amps could have been placed in the headband for example

I have a pair of GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers,some of the absolute best speakers Ive ever heard.When I was doing my pre-buy research the only negative that kept popping up was that the T2's had built-in subs,so if the sub failed,you had to send in the whole speaker for repair,not just the sub.

The sub did in fact fail on me on one of them,and while the speaker was out for repair I had no music.

I bring this up as reference to your comment.You want a headphone that has:

*drivers that can fail
*shakers that can fail
*in-line controller that can fail/damaged

and then you want to toss a built-in amp on top of it?

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #123 of 976

I have a pair of GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers,some of the absolute best speakers Ive ever heard.When I was doing my pre-buy research the only negative that kept popping up was that the T2's had built-in subs,so if the sub failed,you had to send in the whole speaker for repair,not just the sub.

The sub did in fact fail on me on one of them,and while the speaker was out for repair I had no music.

I bring this up as reference to your comment.You want a headphone that has:

*drivers that can fail
*shakers that can fail
*in-line controller that can fail/damaged

and then you want to toss a built-in amp on top of it?

Ok i got what you mean.......Too bad anyway cause this would have been so simple........just look at smartphones...........they have vibrate, can do pictures, play games, have a screen, dacs, amps, etc.....but can work flawlesly without issues 

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #124 of 976
I prefer to pair it with my own choice of amps anyway so I can change the sound to my preferences so personally I wouldn't want built-in amp as it's not necessarily going to work so great double-amped.

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #125 of 976

If you're spending $300+ on a headphone, you're likely to buy a decent amp for them.

To put a reasonably good amp somewhere on the Kannons (probably the in-line controls), they'd probably have to hike the price by at least $200.

If you're going to spend $500-$600 on a headphone, you'll buy a very good amp and a dac. Guess they need a good dac and very good amp integrated.

Suddenly, the Kannons cost over $1000 and nobody buys them.

I see no logical reason for them to include an amp.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #126 of 976
Had a chance to finally hear The Kannons over the weekend at the NY meet.

Unfortunately I only got to hear them out of a Fiio X3 w/ no external amping.To me the bass response was fun,but the rest sounded congested and lifeless.

I asked the gentleman who had them if these scaled well with amping and he did not know and was trying to reach Jim for an answer,but I left before I got an answer.

I already bought a pair so im hoping these open up with decent amping,but what I heard was a bit of a letdown.

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #128 of 976
Hi - Fightin' Jim here (Taction CTO). I'm glad Monsterzero got to check out the tech demo of the Kannons and liked the wide-bandwidth tactile bass. 

To be clear - what David brought to the show was a demo of the tactors, not the final product.  I know that because I'm the guy who put it together and sent it to David.

The acoustic porting is something we are tuning as we transition from prototype to production.  We are fortunate to have consulting help from a serious expert - Dolby's former director of engineering Christopher Struck.  Our OEM partner is also contributing and has decades of experience with tuning frequency response.

Acoustically, we are shooting for a middle-of-the-road tuning in the final product, similar to ATH-M50X.  Our goal from there is to add an adjustable tactile response that covers bass and subwoofer frequencies without perturbing the acoustics.  The tactile response is adjustable from 0, to subtle, to hitting harder than the JVC HZ2000. We may miss our target, but that's the target.

What you tried at the show was a demo aimed at demonstrating the tactile bandwidth, not the final acoustic frequency response of the product.  

We are willing (probably more than any company I know) to show our intermediate steps.  Maybe it's weird that we are willing to share the steps along the way. I hope not.  I think it's a good thing. 

Anyway take heart - what I'm trying to say is that the Kannons are in good hands and will ring true.  

Hard at work,
FightinJim

PS - You can pre-amp the Kannons but you don't have to.  The built-in tactor amp of the Kannons can make them hit as hard as one likes without assistance.

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #129 of 976
Above my post is why everyone from Taction is so legit.  You guys, keep doing your thing!  I for one, can't wait to listen to the final product, but am grateful to be able to listen to updates along the way.

Cheers my friends!

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #130 of 976
  In the tests that I've seen the Kannons were said to rumble as-is. That is the selling point. If I need to amp them, why not get the SZ's?

They did rumble,real well, sans an amp.It was the rest of the sound that left me wanting to hear them thru an amp.

Anyways,Jim addressed that in his post above.Hoping these come out awesome.

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #133 of 976
Jim sends periodic emails to us earlybirds,and as mentioned above they are behind schedule.

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #134 of 976
I'm backer no 8.

I've had phone conversations with Jim and the tech that goes into the headphones is not easy to build and the motor seems difficult to tame too.

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #135 of 976
Per latest kickstarter update from Jim, all parts have now been finalized, but some are 8 weeks out on delivery in bulk. So we for sure won't be seeing this until next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back