T1 vs HD600/50 in value, comfort ect.
Mar 28, 2012 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

curiousmuffin

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm debating whether I should shell out for T1 or just a 'modest' HD650(or 600) for the office setup.

Soundstage is not my main criteria, bass and musicality is, as is comfort.

In fact, comfort I think is my main focus since I'll be wearing this pretty much all day.

But just considering the performance of these two(or three) cans, is T1 worth the 4X price hike?

my digital end will be pretty optimal but I don't plan on going for a fancy headphone amp, yet. 

Let me hear your opinions.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #2 of 11
Currently own the T1 and HD650, running both off HA-160D.  My thoughts on your question:

My first impressions on the T1's when I got them was that they were not worth the price difference.  But I spent a few weeks listening to them, and I cannot go back to the HD650 now.  Initially I did not see a huge difference, now the 650 just sounds slow and bloated to me.  Perhaps my ears just adjusted to the T1 sound.  As far as comfort, I find both comfortable for long listening sessions.

I suppose when weighing price, the HD650 is a steal compared to the T1 if you are paying 4x the price, but I cannot go back now.

As far as no amp, I am uncertain how the T1's will perform...they are 600ohm but the Tesla driver is said to be efficient.....I'm not versed on the technicals of it, just what I hear.  I would think for the price of the T1's though, it would be a shame to dump that kind of money and not amp them.

I say get the 650 and dont look back.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 11
Have both. T1 is more comfortable from the start, HD650 may need a little adjustment at first. But both qualify for whole day session.

T1 is much more well built than HD650. And the leather is sooooooooooooo classy and soft.

The positioning, 3D imaging and resolution in T1 is far greater than HD650. You get what you pay for. HD650 is a steal of course, but it's compromised. Both great in bass, T1 got much more depth into it.

Drove both directly from my cellphone and are great, just that they would blow your eardums away. Both are sensitive to source and power though, get some nice thingy to get the most of it.

Get both.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
but I don't plan on going for a fancy headphone amp, yet. 

Then take them all off your list, those are all medium to high impedance headphones and require amplification.

Consider: Denon D7000 (super comfortable, can be worn all day, incredible value, is actual hifi, all the bass you could want, musical, great for everything; doesn't need an amp really, but appreciates a nice DAC)

Very best,

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 11
I currently own all three of the 'phones you mentioned, though the HD650 will be gone soon. For comfort, I'd choose the T1 over the others by a fair margin. The HD600 & 650 can get quite hot after a couple of hours. For sound, I think the HD600 would be a better choice - it is very natural, without pronounced lows (like the HD650) or treble spikes (like the T1). Besides, both the HD650 and the T1 will sound rather poor without a proper amp (so will the HD600, but not quite as bad).

Personal recommendation: Get a Fostex T50RP ($75) and perform some of the basic mods. It is very easy to mod it to a sound signature that resembles the HD650, it is very comfortable (with the right pads) and it does not require fancy amplification. Also, it is by far the least expensive option.

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #7 of 11
a lot of reports i read mention of the treble spike of T1. I'm someone who would be rather sensitive to this as I tend to favor warm sound. i used to own hd600, d7000. the latter was not my cup of cake. currenty i own akg271 and don't care for that either. i've learned the hard way that closed cans just aren't for me.

and i do know what's required of this hobby- one component is just as important as the next one on the chain. i think i need to nail the headphones first before stringing the proper amp, though.

coming back to T1, is the treble spike inherent in the design or from 'synergy'? does it make the headphone sound bright or only noticeable at certain times (trying to figure out if the spike affects a wide band)

how great is the detail on the T1? my ears been spoiled by my diy 3way ribbon tweet speakers n i thought even d7000 was not cutting it. T1 would have to have a planar-like detail level to justify the spending.

it's too bad that i can't think of anywhere to go for an audition in Seoul. 

more the reason to thank for your inputs, gents. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 11
Heya,

Based on what you're saying, it sounds more and more like you're going to end up more interested in the Sennheiser HD700 & Sennheiser HD650. But you're going to have to also get an amplifier. With the money you save on the HD650, you can easily get what's needed to run them sufficiently. You can scrub it at first with something like a Fiio E10 on the HD650, but later, I would look at doing something like NFB12 or even jump to something like Little Dot MK III or IV or Schiit Valhalla. If you want simplicity though, the NFB would be a good way to go.

Very best,

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 11
I'm listening to T1's as I write this.  While they can be a bit sibilant, they are nothing compared to Grados in that respect.  I think they are the perfect headphone for tube amplification; they really benefit from tube warmth.  I also own a pair of HD600's, and while the sound signature is GENERALLY the same, the T1's really shine in their soundstage, which the 600's can't come close to.  As described before, very 3D.  I agree that the choice really comes to what your personal level of financial commitment is to the hobby.  If you're on a budget, get the Senns.  If you're ready to make the commitment, get a good amp and the T1's, preferably used.  No judgement.  I will say, if I had to do over, it would have been cheaper for me if I jumped in with both feet at the start.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 11

Facts:
Flat response cans are boring. You need slight emphasis to compensate or help hearing the most of the music easily.

T1 has treble emphasis, but very nicely done, much better comparing to past generation's drivers. Unless the recording is harsh, the treble never sound harsh. And no, T1 does not sound slicing bright after proper run in. It's like Focal's treble tweeters, it's a strength.
T1 and HD650 have bass compensation. If you're used to listening to speakers, this is a must.

T1 is warm, though not as much as HD650.

Yet to hear a speaker system rivaling T1's quality.

Haven't got the chance to play with planar cans. But it's simply one of the best dynamic cans you can find in the universe, and looking at the history of Beyer, they know what they are doing when it come to headphones. Heck, their mics are terrific and Senn is incomparable.

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 11
looks like the T1 might fare well with a dark sounding nos dac, which's what i have 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back