T1 or HD800 (I really need some help here)
Jun 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Me x3

Member of the Trade: FiiO Store Argentina
First of all, excuse me for starting another T1 vs HD800 thread, I've read a lot about them in other threads, but I haven't made my decision yet.

T1's looks great, with their simple design, while HD800 looks plastic and I don't like them much. (Who cares?)

Talking about sound and my tastes.

I use to listen to a lot of different music but mainly:

Classical
Jazz
Symphonic Metal

And a little of Instrumental Tango (No problem if the headphone recomended don't suit well this genre)

Then I also listen to:

Andrea Bocelli
Elthon John
Era

And some 70s and 80s rock, and progressive rock bands like Toto, The Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd, etc. That is usually because I always find great quality recordings of them with great dynamic range, etc.

In my experience with headphones, I can say that I like wide soundstage very much, I care more about it than for example bass. My favourite headphone is Pioneer Se-A1000 which to me is a very undervaluated HP with great soundstage and instrument separation, flat frequency response from 80Hz to 2000Hz and undistorted highs. They lack bass from (20Hz to I can say 60Hz) but I still prefer them by a wide margin to my Fidelio L1 which have good sub bass response.
Se-A1000 are polite sounding, often warm, and I can enjoy them at low volumes and at high volumes, their highs have a lot of presence but don't cause fatigue at high volumes (like the ones on my Yamaha HPH-200)

T1 and HD800 cost the same here. I'm not planning to re cable. And I don't care much about the amp. I will use a Fiio E07K + E09K combo. But I plan to have this headphones for a long time and I will probably buy another amp which suit best the choosen headphone in the future if I travel to the USA or Europe.

I know both are great headphones, I'm Really! more towards T1 but I've read "Sennheiser HD800 are technically superior" so many times and "T1 are just a little improvement over DT880 which are 4x cheaper" that now, after reading a lot about them, I doubt about buying the Beyerdynamics.

Last but not least, I've auditioned a pair of Beyerdynamic T5p for about 5 minutes out of an Ipod Shuffle but I think that don't cares much, they sound clear and they don't have fatiguing highs, I really like them but I hope to get more out of one of this two HPs (T1 or HD800) especially because I always use my headphones at home.

Any opinion will be really, really appreciated!

Many thanks for your time and opinions!
Greetings from Argentina!

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 12
To me the LCD-2 is a much better buy.  If you want a better amp and headphone for the price of the HD-800 I recommend the O2+ODAC Combo + the HE-500 or LCD-2.  That combo will surely knock it out of the park as far as clarity, soundstage, and overall enjoyment goes.

I just think the HD-800 is a waste of money unless you have two things going for you:
1.)  A good amp preferably a solid state amp
2.)  Plan to listen to three types of music and nothing else

The HD-800 is an awesome headphone, but at times is picky as to what music sounds good from it.

The T1 is also very power hungry and too lifeless to my ears.  It also needs a good amp to sound its best.

The LCD-2 / HE-500 and O2+ODAC Combo pretty much guarantees clarity and neutrality which is perfect for the types of music you have listed.

Whatever you end up with I am sure you will enjoy it.

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 12
Many thanks for your opinion!

I like the LCD-2 very much, they look stunning and they measure fantastic. The only problem is that there are no Audeze products here in Argentina, neither Hifiman. And nowadays its not easy (and it is risky) to import an expensive product like that. Then if I want a 'world class' headphone I will have to decide between this two headphones.

Jun 12, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
To me the LCD-2 is a much better buy.  If you want a better amp and headphone for the price of the HD-800 I recommend the O2+ODAC Combo + the HE-500 or LCD-2.  That combo will surely knock it out of the park as far as clarity, soundstage, and overall enjoyment goes.

I just think the HD-800 is a waste of money unless you have two things going for you:
1.)  A good amp preferably a solid state amp
2.)  Plan to listen to three types of music and nothing else

The HD-800 is an awesome headphone, but at times is picky as to what music sounds good from it.

The T1 is also very power hungry and too lifeless to my ears.  It also needs a good amp to sound its best.

The LCD-2 / HE-500 and O2+ODAC Combo pretty much guarantees clarity and neutrality which is perfect for the types of music you have listed.

Whatever you end up with I am sure you will enjoy it.

I have found that the O2 does not properly drive the HE 500.  It will drive a DT 880 Premium 600 Ohm version though.  Have not yet tried it with the LCD-2.

Both the HD 800 and T1 are outstanding cans.  The HD 800 is the better of the two, although I was able to pick up a T1 well south of $1,000, which made it the much better value.

If your not listening to well recorded music, there is little point in wasting your money on either of these great cans.  Use and cheaper and more forgiving can for poorly done or older recordings below the state of the art as it was in the mid to late 60's.

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 12
I have found that the O2 does not properly drive the HE 500.  It will drive a DT 880 Premium 600 Ohm version though.  Have not yet tried it with the LCD-2.

Both the HD 800 and T1 are outstanding cans.  The HD 800 is the better of the two, although I was able to pick up a T1 well south of $1,000, which made it the much better value.

If your not listening to well recorded music, there is little point in wasting your money on either of these great cans.  Use and cheaper and more forgiving can for poorly done or older recordings below the state of the art as it was in the mid to late 60's.
Thanks for your opinion! In fact I'm always listening to the best recorded music I can get. Most of it 24/96 flac files with dymamic range between 9 and 20. I also use foobar2000 with asio for my fiio dac. What makes the hd800 better? I really appreciate your opinion.

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for your opinion! In fact I'm always listening to the best recorded music I can get. Most of it 24/96 flac files with dymamic range between 9 and 20. I also use foobar2000 with asio for my fiio dac. What makes the hd800 better? I really appreciate your opinion.

The short answer is that the HD 800 is better in just about everything.  The long answer can be found be reading about both cans (and many others) here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
The short answer is that the HD 800 is better in just about everything.  The long answer can be found be reading about both cans (and many others) here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Again, many thanks for your answers!
     That thread about flagships is just amazing.

Any other opinions? They will be really appreciated.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
First of all, excuse me for starting another T1 vs HD800 thread, I've read a lot about them in other threads, but I haven't made my decision yet.

T1's looks great, with their simple design, while HD800 looks plastic and I don't like them much. (Who cares?)

Talking about sound and my tastes.

I use to listen to a lot of different music but mainly:

Classical
Jazz
Symphonic Metal

And a little of Instrumental Tango (No problem if the headphone recomended don't suit well this genre)

Then I also listen to:

Andrea Bocelli
Elthon John
Era

And some 70s and 80s rock, and progressive rock bands like Toto, The Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd, etc. That is usually because I always find great quality recordings of them with great dynamic range, etc.

In my experience with headphones, I can say that I like wide soundstage very much, I care more about it than for example bass. My favourite headphone is Pioneer Se-A1000 which to me is a very undervaluated HP with great soundstage and instrument separation, flat frequency response from 80Hz to 2000Hz and undistorted highs. They lack bass from (20Hz to I can say 60Hz) but I still prefer them by a wide margin to my Fidelio L1 which have good sub bass response.
Se-A1000 are polite sounding, often warm, and I can enjoy them at low volumes and at high volumes, their highs have a lot of presence but don't cause fatigue at high volumes (like the ones on my Yamaha HPH-200)

T1 and HD800 cost the same here. I'm not planning to re cable. And I don't care much about the amp. I will use a Fiio E07K + E09K combo. But I plan to have this headphones for a long time and I will probably buy another amp which suit best the choosen headphone in the future if I travel to the USA or Europe.

I know both are great headphones, I'm Really! more towards T1 but I've read "Sennheiser HD800 are technically superior" so many times and "T1 are just a little improvement over DT880 which are 4x cheaper" that now, after reading a lot about them, I doubt about buying the Beyerdynamics.

Just based on what you're saying... the HD 800 will be your cans of choice.  Soundstage and imaging is second to none really... most life-like imaging IMHO.  Problem is... if you go with HD 800 you will really not be doing them justice unless you are prepared to pay out more $$$ later for a balanced rig or something seriously higher (prob a rig $1000 and up). I'm not bashing on the Fiio combo... I have the E09K + E17 combo myself... but after getting mojo/gun stack, even on my HD 650s the difference is not subtle, much less the more transparent HD 800.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 12
I went back and forth between the T1 and HD800. Ended up purchasing the Sennheisers.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 12
Anything to do with these two cans, i would need a TUBE amp..:p
I just picked up a T1 recently, must say i am enjoying it ALOT,
the clarity hits me with a broad grin..classicals are played out with PRAT..
running it thru an inexpensive darkvoice336se.

Depends on how much u value comfort, hifimans n LCDs are heavy, esp after a few hours.

just sat thru this cd, breathtaking...go n buy this.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #11 of 12
I found the HE-500 extremely muddy and rather dull.

The HD800's pinpoint accuracy on the imaging (I think that's the term) is extremely impressive, and it was quite the fun headphone! I highly recommend it honestly.

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 12
Many thanks for your opinions! I'm still more towards Beyerdynamic T1, considering they seem to have also very good soundstage and imaging and do classical pretty well without sacrificing being an all rounder and without being extremely 'picky' with the amp.

After hearing that HD800 is probably not a good choice unless I plan to listen to three types of music and nothing else, I wonder:

How do they compare with the "technically inferior" Beyerdynamic T1 when reproducing any other genre?

Again thanks for your answers and time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back