T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.
Jun 7, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #1,321 of 1,424
I don't want to spam the thread so PM me if you feel it would be better (though this may be good for somebody to see if they're in my same situation)

Have you ever listened to any of the Beyer DT7/8/9? What about Sennheiser HD650?

If you've listened to HD650's... I was told I would be dissapointed. After looking at a chart - I believe what I was told. Is there any way/simple terms that you could explain why I would be dissapointed? 

Thanks.

Haven't heard those HP. I've got a pair of DT250 80ohm. They're not like the Altone200 - smoother.

SM HP200 have good bass and are pretty clear up top. There're a few reviews on them on headfi that would give you a good idea of their sound sig.

Your earlier comment about Altone200 not being bassy made me think about tip selection. I had a revelatory moment when I put foam-filled Sony Hybrid tips on my A200. Really brought of the bass :L3000:

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,322 of 1,424
  Yes, Comply T-400. But didn't work for me. Didn't feel that much attenuation of treble harshness. But regular sony hybrids work well for me. Still, i used VSONIC silicone single flange, from the VSD3S, for a long time. A bit more warm than the sony hybrids (the bore tube has a bit more lenght in the VSONIC's allowing a bit more bass production).
Latelly been using the Spiral Dot and I feel that they control the highs quite well but they tame the bass a bit and consequentely I feel a bit less warmth and a flatter signature. Was wondering about trying spinfit now. But I got the message :wink:

Still, for a cleaner (bass), flatter and neutral signature, the Spiral Dot are great. To add a bit more warmth, the single flange VSONIC for small nozzle (VSD3S) are great. 

Appreciate this suggestion! I bought the Complys for my recently-acquired Altone200s and am waiting for them to come in the mail. Had no idea that the Sonys were an option and I already had a few from my Sony IEMs. Am going to try a few of them and will report back. 

-Collin-

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,323 of 1,424
  Appreciate this suggestion! I bought the Complys for my recently-acquired Altone200s and am waiting for them to come in the mail. Had no idea that the Sonys were an option and I already had a few from my Sony IEMs. Am going to try a few of them and will report back. 

-Collin-

If it fits, it's an option :wink:

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #1,324 of 1,424

-Collin-

Find the Sony Hybrid foamy ear tips wonderful with the Altone 200. Bulk up the bass and reign in some of the brightness.

I like the Comply's with the Altone 150, 250 and 350. With silicon tips I experience pretty serious driver flex, but with the Comply tips I don't have any issues.

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #1,325 of 1,424

Find the Sony Hybrid foamy ear tips wonderful with the Altone 200. Bulk up the bass and reign in some of the brightness.

I like the Comply's with the Altone 150, 250 and 350. With silicon tips I experience pretty serious driver flex, but with the Comply tips I don't have any issues.

Interesting, didn't figure there would be a huge difference between the 250 and 200. 

While we're talking Comply tips, I've scanned the thread in pretty good detail and notice that people are using Comply 200, 400 or 500 sizes. Maybe I missed something, but why would all three sizes fit the nozzle? Not talking S, M or L sizes obviously, so don't those numbers correspond to what is needed to fit the earphone?

-Collin-

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #1,326 of 1,424
  Interesting, didn't figure there would be a huge difference between the 250 and 200. 

While we're talking Comply tips, I've scanned the thread in pretty good detail and notice that people are using Comply 200, 400 or 500 sizes. Maybe I missed something, but why would all three sizes fit the nozzle? Not talking S, M or L sizes obviously, so don't those numbers correspond to what is needed to fit the earphone?

-Collin-

Some of the Comply tips fit tighter on the nozzle than others. They take a bit of forcing to get them on, but they go on. Don't remember the number of the tips I have on the 250s right now, but they are a tight fit.

Find the new Altone line tuned quite a bit more bass-heavy than the 200s. They're quite a bit bigger, so maybe that creates some boom? Along with the dynamic driver?

Jun 10, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,327 of 1,424

Sony foam-filled hybrids :L3000:

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #1,328 of 1,424

Sony foam-filled hybrids
L3000.gif

You guys were right, these Sony tips are awesome on these earphones. So glad I happened to have some in my drawer. 

I also stopped by Radio Shack on my way home and picked up the Comply S200 and S500 (on clearance for $3.97! for three pairs), and I do not like the sound nearly as much as the Sony hybrids. Bass seems to not be as tight, though they do control the treble a bit more. I'm definitely sticking with the Sony hybrids. Great, now I have 12 extra pairs of Comply tips lol

Anyone know where you can buy just one size of the Sony tips? Sorry if off-topic, but I saw a ton of people complaining that you have to buy all four sizes at a time and that doesn't sound wonderful :)

Thanks!!!

-Collin-

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #1,329 of 1,424
  You guys were right, these Sony tips are awesome on these earphones. So glad I happened to have some in my drawer. 

Anyone know where you can buy just one size of the Sony tips? Sorry if off-topic, but I saw a ton of people complaining that you have to buy all four sizes at a time and that doesn't sound wonderful :)

Glad you like the results with them. Can get them here: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOACS-46164. Not very expensive. In fact, I might just pick up some spares!

Jul 6, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #1,332 of 1,424
Just wanted to check back in and let you guys know that I forcefully installed the Shure Olive tipes onto these Altone200s and my goodness they sound/feel good. These were always my favorite tips for comfort and isolation. I saw a thread from years ago where someone modified them to work on larger-nozzle earphones and I did something similar to get them to fit. You guys should really try them if you have some handy! I'm in heaven, which is good because these tips will probably never come off again lol

-Collin-

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,335 of 1,424
I don't know if I should read that as
"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!"
or
"What have you done?"

Anyway still haven't recived my altones but i was looking at the DIY custom molds videos. Has anyone tried going that route? Are custom molds better or worse sounding than well fitting faom tips?

That's pretty funny :)

I basically did the method where you take a paint brush (I didn't have one, used a sharp chopstick LOL) and jammed it into the tip from the back side to open it up. It took quite a few tries but finally it was able to fit onto the Altones. Still loving it! Though repeating the method would be a pain. 

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back