T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.
Feb 15, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #1,201 of 1,424
All I'm wondering is if the current Altone 200 we've all be using this while is going to be better than the Altone 250/200/whatever they're going to call it along with how the current Altone 200 will compare to the 300/350. Seems like the current Altone 200 which was obtained for ~$125 will be nearly as good as something that is going to cost around $280... hmm..

Good questions. Hopefully we'll get the chance to find out!

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #1,202 of 1,424
I may try these soon as my first hybrid, seems worth it to the price. Affordable for the empty wallet I has now :/

How does the sound compare to the Gr07 Bass Edition? No simbilance ? Similar cable? Strain relief? Same bass level? :D

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #1,204 of 1,424
I may try these soon as my first hybrid, seems worth it to the price. Affordable for the empty wallet I has now :/

How does the sound compare to the Gr07 Bass Edition? No simbilance ? Similar cable? Strain relief? Same bass level?
biggrin.gif

the cable is not the best, other than that, it's a very good product at $185. If you don't like them, you might like some other IEM at the price range. There are a couple other options at $200 level.

I happen to like the altone200 a lot. it's almost perfect for me for the price they ask. They check almost every box i want from an IEM.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #1,205 of 1,424

the cable is not the best, other than that, it's a very good product at $185. If you don't like them, you might like some other IEM at the price range. There are a couple other options at $200 level.

I happen to like the altone200 a lot. it's almost perfect for me for the price they ask. They check almost every box i want from an IEM.

I'm personally at two minds with the Altone. Overall I don't find it bad, just not that great...To note is that T-Peos must've gotten some bargain TWFKs to have them priced below 185$ before, that was it's appeal. At 185$ it gets harder to justify with the existence of the DN1000. Notice, the cheapest you can produce a 3 way hybrid with normal mass TWFK pricing is 185$ it seems, as these two are the cheapest with this configuration and will rarely go below that. 

I have DN1000 and GR07BE on the way, so I can compare.

In short, I find the altones lack subbass, have a metallic tinge due to a midhigh spike, high treble kind of hot and it's a wee bit incoherent. I have solution for the midhigh and treble, but i'll get into that later. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #1,206 of 1,424

I'm personally at two minds with the Altone. Overall I don't find it bad, just not that great...

In short, I find the altones lack subbass,

exactly why i like mine. i dont like bass.

the $125 pricing is not because they have a deal, i am pretty sure both dunu and t-peos have similar production cost for the 2 products. t-peos just decide to sell at $125 as a test market. Remember that this isn't sold locally in Korea. Also it has tuning inputs from head-fi members too.

It's good at $125, but I don't think it's fair to judge altone200 as a $125 product. The same way people won't get aurisonic rockets at $99 anymore.

Anyway, at $185, or $200 i take altone200 over dn1000. preference.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #1,207 of 1,424
  I'm personally at two minds with the Altone. Overall I don't find it bad, just not that great...To note is that T-Peos must've gotten some bargain TWFKs to have them priced below 185$ before, that was it's appeal. At 185$ it gets harder to justify with the existence of the DN1000. Notice, the cheapest you can produce a 3 way hybrid with normal mass TWFK pricing is 185$ it seems, as these two are the cheapest with this configuration and will rarely go below that. 

In short, I find the altones lack subbass, have a metallic tinge due to a midhigh spike, high treble kind of hot and it's a wee bit incoherent. I have solution for the midhigh and treble, but i'll get into that later. 

TTPOD T2 is a 1 DD + 2 BA for under $90.

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #1,209 of 1,424

I sold my Dunu 1K.  Too much bass.  Kept the Altone.

It all depends on what you like.  There is no "right" or "wrong" because we all like different things.  

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #1,210 of 1,424
I thought the DN-1000 bass was good in quantity for phone number 2 but not great in quality. A bit slow for my taste but others could find it organic or natural and like it. I rather listen to my lower bass floor GR07 BE at times when in the genre, even for dub step...

Reminded me of H3 mid bass.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #1,212 of 1,424
Is anyone agreed that the Senn IE800 is the most capable 'off-the-shelf' IEM on the market? If so, has anyone done a side-by-side between them and the Altone200s??
I'm Looking to upgrade but can't stretch to a Custom.
Btw, the Altones sound lovely out of the Teac HA-P50!

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #1,215 of 1,424
I have just purchased the Altone 200 (old model) and I have to say it is incredibly good value for money. The regional SEA distributor told me though, that the Altone 200 I bought is discontinued to pave way for the new Altones. Stocks are very low so if you want, get it now.

Such a shame, imo, that the 200 is discontinued after just what, 1 or 2 years? I think the main selling points of the 200 is size (very small and comfortable for a triple, compared to say DN2K, A83 and ASG2) and price (185USD!), other than sound quality of course. This is a killer combo that no other hybrids have. The new Altones may be very good IEMs, but they may also be bigger (to accommodate removable cable socket) and definitely more expensive (298000 won / 271 USD for the triple hybrid, although possibly better sq). I think T-peos is discontinuing the old 200 so that it won't cannibalise the sales of the new dual hybrid 250, which is a perfectly sound reasoning based on a marketing standpoint. From an audiophile's perspective however, it is sad to see such uniquely good product just go away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back