T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.
Aug 9, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #661 of 1,424
Do you know if defective pairs do horribly in bass sweeps? Like I said, the bass sounds pretty good when playing PURE bass but with music...it's nearly not there. Why would they sound OK with bass tests but music would sound a lot less powerful? Not doubting you at all, just curious.

You picked this pair up on our boards for about $100 if I remember rightly, all pairs coming from T-Peos no longer have an Issue. What's happening with your pair is part of the internals is blocking an air intake inside the housing which causes the dynamic driver not to vibrate. I don't need to try and compare with any frequency sweeps as I'm telling you now your pair are faulty. I was listening to some tracks earlier using Sennhieser dual flange tips and the sub-bass was almost blowing my head off. Contact T-Peos and explain your situation.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #662 of 1,424
Do you know if defective pairs do horribly in bass sweeps? Like I said, the bass sounds pretty good when playing PURE bass but with music...it's nearly not there. Why would they sound OK with bass tests but music would sound a lot less powerful? Not doubting you at all, just curious.

EDIT: OK...yeah...they aren't right. Even bass sweeps sound a lot deeper and impactful on the Narmoos than the Altones could ever DREAM of being. 

What's the next step? How do I return them?

Mine sounded weak in comparison to several other IEMs in my collection in bass sweeps and in songs I was familiar with. I sent them back and should get my new pair this week. Eager to give them a try!

Edit: My old pair did have a chin slider, if that helps anyone.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #664 of 1,424
PS: I don't mean to be abrupt about it, I can just tell immediately from what you've written, the tell tale signs for me knowing the IEM well stick out like a sore thumb. Rather than have you do your head in going back and forth, I just explain like it is so you can get the ball rolling on an exchange.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #665 of 1,424
PS: I don't mean to be abrupt about it, I can just tell immediately from what you've written, the tell tale signs for me knowing the IEM well stick out like a sore thumb. Rather than have you do your head in going back and forth, I just explain like it is so you can get the ball rolling on an exchange.

Oh I have, I've already emailed them. 
etysmile.gif

Yeah they're definitely defective. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #666 of 1,424
Now I'm also having serious doubts about mine. The bass should be stronger than what a balanced armature produces right?
Already e-mailed @mobyn for his opinion/instructions.

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #667 of 1,424
I would say so. I know my other buds have a TON more bass. Given the specs of the Altone and hearing what I'm hearing I would comfortably say that the bass is pretty damn low compared to what it SHOULD be.

Like H20Fidelity said though...if you're in doubt and the bass isn't really on par with your other stuff on average they're probably bad.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #668 of 1,424
You picked this pair up on our boards for about $100 if I remember rightly, all pairs coming from T-Peos no longer have an Issue. What's happening with your pair is part of the internals is blocking an air intake inside the housing which causes the dynamic driver not to vibrate. I don't need to try and compare with any frequency sweeps as I'm telling you now your pair are faulty. I was listening to some tracks earlier using Sennhieser dual flange tips and the sub-bass was almost blowing my head off. Contact T-Peos and explain your situation.

AndroidVageta has my pair... i compared them to the DN1000 and they seem to be as described by others here. Bass is there when it should be. The dunu is not a basshead iem, but bass is always there, while the atlones have bass when there should be. This seems to be the kind of sound peos goes for, which is not for me... regardless of how good they really are.

If they have mind blowing bass then i would prefer them over the dn1000, but they just dont have that sound. If i misunderstood what sound they should have then i would send them back in a heart beat.

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #669 of 1,424
  AndroidVageta has my pair... i compared them to the DN1000 and they seem to be as described by others here. Bass is there when it should be. The dunu is not a basshead iem, but bass is always there, while the atlones have bass when there should be. This seems to be the kind of sound peos goes for, which is not for me... regardless of how good they really are.

If they have mind blowing bass then i would prefer them over the dn1000, but they just dont have that sound. If i misunderstood what sound they should have then i would send them back in a heart beat.

That's my problem though...it's not. When I listen to songs I know by heart the amount of bass that is missing (especially the complete lack of sub-bass) proves to me that, for having a dedicated 8mm bass driver, these headphones either have crap bass that is far outside what they should have given the specs and/or reviewers are insane and people like H20Fidelity have no idea what deep, rich bass is. 

Edit: Considering everyone keeps saying these have a "V-shaped" sound I'm hearing a distinct slanted signature. Very little bass, level mids, and high treble. That's what tells me there is something wrong...these have no V-shape. More "/" and less "V" if that makes sense?

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #670 of 1,424

That's my problem though...it's not. When I listen to songs I know by heart the amount of bass that is missing (especially the complete lack of sub-bass) proves to me that, for having a dedicated 8mm bass driver, these headphones either have crap bass that is far outside what they should have given the specs and/or reviewers are insane and people like H20Fidelity have no idea what deep, rich bass is. 

The dedicated driver is not meant to give it strong bass, just deep bass. There are iems, like the H-200 that come to mind.
If like others here said, that they dont have bass like the dn1000 then i dont see anything wrong with them. Otherwise i would love to hear them again.
We will just have to send them back and see what they do to it :wink:

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #671 of 1,424
If you play "Come Together" by the Beatles from the Remastered Abbey Road album and the bass isn't really strong, then your iems are not working correctly.  I have a bunch of tracks that let me know that my pair works well, and then I have a bunch of tracks where the bass sounds weak.  This, too me, says that the iems produce big bass where it is present but not where it isn't.  Which is, to me, a good thing.  Even if, sometimes, I'd like more bass.

The Dunu1000s ALWAYS have bass, in every track I throw at them.  So to me they are adding bass or, at the least, accentuating bass.  While I like the fullness of them they sound muddy compared to the Altones.  If I have to choose between bass everywhere and bass where it belongs, I'll choose the Altones.  Others clearly feel differently.  

I came close to sending mine back, went so far as to email Mobyn to tell him they had an issue.  But a combination of playing "break-in" test tones and making sure I was playing tracks with very apparent bass showed me that the Altones were producing bass when it was in the source material.  So I kept them.  Every time I come to a track with weak bass, if I begin to freak that they are broken, I play a track where they have big-time bass and relax again.  

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #672 of 1,424
Yeah as others have said the sub bass will not be ever present like in some phones, which is a conscious choice by T-Peos to keep it clean, but when the track calls for it, it should present and with AUTHORITY!

If you're not seeing this, then something is wrong.
If you are seeing this, but it's not enough for you, then they are probably just not to your preference.

Aug 10, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #674 of 1,424
Yeah as others have said the sub bass will not be ever present like in some phones, which is a conscious choice by T-Peos to keep it clean, but when the track calls for it, it should present and with AUTHORITY!

If you're not seeing this, then something is wrong.
If you are seeing this, but it's not enough for you, then they are probably just not to your preference.

And that's what I'm missing a bit, AUTHORITY!
It's not that my Altone sounds wrong it's just a bit bass punch light. As said before, it comes close to my UE900 in terms of deepness and punchiness of the bass. The UE900 are fuller for me because of the more prominent low-midrange.
I'm just switching IEM's now when listening to Joe Bonamassa's - An aucoustic evening at the Vienna opera house. My Sennheiser IE80 are giving clearly to much low-end. 
biggrin.gif

The UE900 sounds well balanced and the Altone provides a bit more high but missing out a little bit in the lower-midrange.

Aug 10, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #675 of 1,424
Can someone help advise on my situation please? I really liked the clarity, highs, mids at first, but found the bass wanting. I also needed to push the volume up a lot more than my previous pair, the H200's. Speaking of which, those had better bass. Mine were shipped July 24th. Is that before the cutoff date for the defective batches?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back