T or F: Denon D5000's + Black Dragon = no sibilance
Aug 14, 2008 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

chzplz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all--

I've got me one of them Markl'd up D5000's, which I absolutely cherish, but the phones seem somewhat sibilant when played at high volume (which is how I like 'em
biggrin.gif
) This isn't an issue at all at lower volumes, but when cranked, OUCH! (This was probably an issue before the mods were done, but I guess I didn't notice b/c I couldn't crank them up as high b/c the bass would become overpowering at higher volumes)

Moon Audio Black Dragon (copper) cable has been recommended as rolling off the highs a bit and providing a more full sound. (The Blue Dragons were recommended too, but Drew at Moon says they're more neutral, and that the Black Dragons are the way to go for this purpose.)

Any experience/thoughts/other ideas?

BTW, the main amp driving the D5000's is an Opera; the problem is less pronounced (obviously) with a tube amp (LD MK IV SE) but it's still there a little (and I prefer the opera)

Also, not to jack my own thread: anyone have experience with Markl's Jena cryo recabling (the "MD5000DE")? It looks like it sounds awesome (
confused.gif
) but I'm not sure it'll bring the coloration I'm looking for.

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 17
My D2000's (unmodded) have very little sibilance, even on tracks whose sibilance would have exploded my brain on more sibilant headphones (HFI-780, I'm lookin at you). I believe MarkL has said that the fiberloft in the earcups can increase treble, maybe you could try taking a bit out and seeing if it helps?

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 17
If you're looking to decrease the high end a little, cables aren't the way to do it. For that you'd want an equaliser, and that shouldn't cost more or much more considering the crazy cable prices out there.
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking to decrease the high end a little, cables are the way to do it. For that you'd want an equaliser, and that shouldn't cost more or much more considering the crazy cable prices out there.
tongue.gif

I assume you meant cables *aren't* the way to do it? If so, then yeah, I'm aware that new cables aren't the equivalent of adding a a tone control. I may end up going the EQ route, but I thought I'd explore going au natural first. Not that I can claim to be averse to taking a crooked sonic path-- I just got a used Aphex 204 Aural Exciter/Optical Big Bottom (I love that name), and boy is it loads of fun!

I'm one of those "yea's" in the "do you believe in cables" debate, and I'd be interested in others' views of whether the Black Dragon (or some other recable) would in fact reign in the highs a little, and maybe fill out the mids, which is all I really need. I've got some Blue Dragon IC's and am pretty happy with them, but I've never heard the black dragon line.

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My D2000's (unmodded) have very little sibilance, even on tracks whose sibilance would have exploded my brain on more sibilant headphones (HFI-780, I'm lookin at you). I believe MarkL has said that the fiberloft in the earcups can increase treble, maybe you could try taking a bit out and seeing if it helps?

Sorry for the double-post, I'm not sure how the multi-quote function works. Re: taking out some fiberloft-- neat idea, I hadn't heard that from Mark, but I'll check into it. Do you know whether that would have any other side-effects, like loosening up the bass (even though I'm 100% basshead, the added bass control/tightness are to me the greatest advantage of Mark's mods)?

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 17
chzplz,
I've stopped stuffing the cups with fiberloft as a standard part of the mod. Your pair was done after this change and does not have any in the ear cups. Cheers.

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
chzplz,
I've stopped stuffing the cups with fiberloft as a standard part of the mod. Your pair was done after this change and does not have any in the ear cups. Cheers.

Thanks for the info, Mark.

Anyone else have thoughts about the black dragon?

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 17
My efforts to combat sibilance (due to sinus problems) have identified the frequency zone to be 4-9kHz, with a typical 'jump' of +20db to the sound. To remove this will take more than a cable tweak!

BT

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chzplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume you meant cables *aren't* the way to do it? If so, then yeah, I'm aware that new cables aren't the equivalent of adding a a tone control. I may end up going the EQ route, but I thought I'd explore going au natural first. Not that I can claim to be averse to taking a crooked sonic path-- I just got a used Aphex 204 Aural Exciter/Optical Big Bottom (I love that name), and boy is it loads of fun!

I'm one of those "yea's" in the "do you believe in cables" debate, and I'd be interested in others' views of whether the Black Dragon (or some other recable) would in fact reign in the highs a little, and maybe fill out the mids, which is all I really need. I've got some Blue Dragon IC's and am pretty happy with them, but I've never heard the black dragon line.

Yes, that is what I meant. I edited my post accordingly.

I wouldn't consider using an equaliser to be taking a "crooked sonic path" by the way.
tongue.gif
I wouldn't be too confident in any high end system that doesn't have an equaliser.

Whichever option you choose, do report back on results.

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that is what I meant. I edited my post accordingly.

I wouldn't consider using an equaliser to be taking a "crooked sonic path" by the way.
tongue.gif
I wouldn't be too confident in any high end system that doesn't have an equaliser.

Whichever option you choose, do report back on results.

Thanks again for the input. I get the idea of using an EQ to iron out imbalances in a room w/speakers -- such as if the carpets were sucking up all the upper mids or whatever -- but you feel that an EQ is necessary in systems with headphones? Out of curiousity, are there EQ's that you'd recommend for headphone-based systems?

Ira

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 17
My stock D2000 were quite sibilant.
One of the reasons for selling them.

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My stock D2000 were quite sibilant.
One of the reasons for selling them.

Maybe hold off until I can report on results of having them markl-modded, moon-recabled, and equalized.
biggrin.gif
In all seriousness, you may want to consider having Mark do his magic, it really does change the whole signature much for the better, and is pretty cheap to do. As you've seen with my OP, sibilance may still be an issue, but I'm still extremely happy overall with my Markl'd Denons.

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long have you burned in your D2000? It took about a month or two of good use for it to stop being sibilant for me.

I don't believe that much in break-in/burn-in. But I was the second owner, and they were heavily used....
I guess you got used to their sibilance, I didn't. Which is a pitty, because they sure have their virtues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back