T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Feb 3, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #466 of 3,205
Hello guys. I've been lurking here for some time and considering buying T+A headphones. Considering price it's definitely an expensive headphone - which would require some savings to be made from my side.
But my main question is Solitaire P easy to drive headphone ? When I look at specifications 80ohms and 101db sensitivity it seems to be pretty easy do drive - definitely not hard at least on paper.
But as we all know dry numbers sometimes does not translate into the same performance in a real life.
I really want to avoid adding external amplifier (costs, space, loosing transparency etc.)
Currently I'm using Dave and my question is: has anybody tried T+A with the Dave directly ? Any thoughts ?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #467 of 3,205
I was thinking about retiring my TT2 and use the HA-200 as my main Milo and WA33 DAC. My TT2 I added the Sbooster power supply to the TT2. I'd like to put some coin back into my wallet but I'm currently attached at the hip to the Chord DAC. I'm honestly not impressed with the low power of the HA-200 being it's so expensive. So it needs to bring something I can chew on. You German guys have you listened to the se model yet? Mine is inbound but I'm afraid they reduced the bass output.

HA200 is unfortunately might not be as general purpose as some other devices. Here TT2 costs €5K and HA200 €6.6K. It unfortunately does not have preouts (or DAC only outs), so I use the HP output to connect to my active speakers. This was actually what T+A recommended when I called them and it works fine. It is also limited in power but I have or had no intentions of buying Susvara (too specific requirements) or 1266 (too heavy for me). So it works perfectly fine for me.

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #468 of 3,205
Hello guys. I've been lurking here for some time and considering buying T+A headphones. Considering price it's definitely an expensive headphone - which would require some savings to be made from my side.
But my main question is Solitaire P easy to drive headphone ? When I look at specifications 80ohms and 101db sensitivity it seems to be pretty easy do drive - definitely not hard at least on paper.
But as we all know dry numbers sometimes does not translate into the same performance in a real life.
I really want to avoid adding external amplifier (costs, space, loosing transparency etc.)
Currently I'm using Dave and my question is: has anybody tried T+A with the Dave directly ? Any thoughts ?
The Solitaire P is fairly easy to drive and requires a Max of 750mW at 80 Ohm.
I don't know if the Dave can provide that

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #469 of 3,205
I was thinking about retiring my TT2 and use the HA-200 as my main Milo and WA33 DAC. My TT2 I added the Sbooster power supply to the TT2. I'd like to put some coin back into my wallet but I'm currently attached at the hip to the Chord DAC. I'm honestly not impressed with the low power of the HA-200 being it's so expensive. So it needs to bring something I can chew on. You German guys have you listened to the se model yet? Mine is inbound but I'm afraid they reduced the bass output.
The Ha200 has no pre outs and requires a special cable to use the XLR out on the front.

The power output is limited to reduce heat, however it has huge power supplies to deliver the current instantly and continuosly, which might also be one of the things that distinguishes powerful amps from weak ones.

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #470 of 3,205
Okay keeping Chord and get rid of Manhattan 2. I’m currently testing the Burson Conductor 3XR which is less power and doesn’t cost a arm and a leg. But it’s decent so far. Can tell it’s more neutral. I’m listening to Above & Beyond Waltz extended mix and there’s a added sound to the bass that I never noticed on my other headphones.

Feb 3, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #471 of 3,205
The German HiFi-Magazine Stereo 4/2021 will bring a review of the T+A Solitaire P-SE. The Magazine 4/2021 will be available from March 10, 2021.

T+A confirmed to me that they'll also bring (similar to the cost-reduced Solitaire P-SE) a cost-reduced version of the Headphone-Amplifier.
It's planned to bring the Amplifier on the market in 2022. It's so late because they're currently working on other projects, T+A said.

Feb 3, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #472 of 3,205
The German HiFi-Magazine Stereo 4/2021 will bring a review of the T+A Solitaire P-SE. The Magazine 4/2021 will be available from March 10, 2021.

T+A confirmed to me that they'll also bring (similar to the cost-reduced Solitaire P-SE) a cost-reduced version of the Headphone-Amplifier.
It's planned to bring the Amplifier on the market in 2022. It's so late because they're currently working on other projects, T+A said.
The bold part is completely in conflict of what T+A told me, when I asked this.(last week)

They told me that they will bring another Headphone amp for electrostats but have no plans to develop any other headphone amplifiers.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #474 of 3,205
Interesting. I've asked T+A last week explicitly about a cost-reduced version of the HA 200 (to match the P-SE) and got the reply as posted above. That's all I know.
I asked them for "other headphone amps" especially since I'd like a preamp option and don't need a DAC

This is mildly frustrating since I am currently selling my Cayin to my T+A dealer.
However for this to work I need to buy the Solitaire P + either the Ha200 (which I don't really need) or a PA2000R as upgrade for my speakers (which would offer nice EQ options over the preamp out, even though I don't necessarily need a new speakeramp)

A new headphone amp with the EQ options of the Ha200 with pre out and withou DAC for 3-4k would be exactly what I need...

Feb 3, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #475 of 3,205
I asked them for "other headphone amps" especially since I'd like a preamp option and don't need a DAC

This is mildly frustrating since I am currently selling my Cayin to my T+A dealer.
However for this to work I need to buy the Solitaire P + either the Ha200 (which I don't really need) or a PA2000R as upgrade for my speakers (which would offer nice EQ options over the preamp out, even though I don't necessarily need a new speakeramp)

A new headphone amp with the EQ options of the Ha200 with pre out and withou DAC for 3-4k would be exactly what I need...

Doesn't have the EQ but I suppose something like Benchmark HPA4 might work well with Solitaire, and it is in the price range. I think it was also mentioned in this thread.

Feb 3, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #476 of 3,205
And I asked T+A because I need the superb DAC and Amplifier-stage due to their top sound-quality but I don't need cost-driving multiple I/O-ports, built-in EQ, Bluetooth, etc. So a "no frills" version of the HA 200 would be welcome to me.

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #477 of 3,205
I’m curious how their DAC compare to other high end units?

Feb 4, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #478 of 3,205
I think Solitaire P easy to drive, same as Utopia, and need neutral amp, especially in bass range

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #479 of 3,205
I’ve driven them off Burson Conductor 3XR with good results though bass was not as impressive as on References Milo. The Milo produces 10 watts around at 50 ohms. The Burson will provide about 2 watts into 80 ohms. The actual sensitivity is 92db/mill watt. That’s 4 more db then Abyss 1266. My big amp the HeadTrip 2 if I connect the normal 99-104 db you can hear the transformer. With the Solitaire connected you can barely hear it. You need to make sure the amp has a high current out or bass will not be up to snuff. Now both Milo and HeadTrip have 30db of gain. I’m guessing by design the ha-200 has high current possibly due to high rail voltage allowing the Solitaire to play its best because I’ve learned planar drivers love current. I spoke with Jeff owner of Wells and spoke about Solitaire needing 750 mills watts and that’s just the starting point. Going back to Abyss 1266 that has sensitivity of 46ohms so that’s more demand vs 80 ohms. You need to see what your amp will deliver at 80 ohms and realize 92 db is mid range of sensitivity. The 1266, Susvara, and HE-6 require a powerful amp to get the correct experience. The Solitaire in my opinion needs power to get $6,400 out of them. Connected to the HeadTrip the depth width and 3D is amazing The Milo $1600-$5000 does 95% of the HeadTrip 2 but by design adds more warmth and a bass shelf above the HeadTrip which is a neutral tube sounding $7000 amp. Would you by a Honda and drop a Ferrari engin in it? The guys that have Solitaire P also bought $8,900 amp. Easy to drive is Empyrean, LCD X and Rad-0. Yeah the cheap amp will make sound but it will sound cheap. I’ve owned about 30 headphones and I can tell what works and what doesn’t. Been in audio since 16 now 44. Was a mobile electronics technician before moving into the home audio scene. It’s all about Ohm’s law. Manufacturers that put a tag on the headphone amp producing 14 watts at 16 ohms is great but what will it produce on a more resistant circuit. 80 ohms is high impedance. Look at Beyerdynamics 600 ohm driver well my 50 watts at 8 ohm HeadTrip goes down to 1.8 watts. I ain’t buying a $7000 amp to power a $300-$700 headphone that’s ludicrous. You want a to spend $5000-$6400 on headphone get a amp that matches.

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #480 of 3,205
I’ve driven them off Burson Conductor 3XR with good results though bass was not as impressive as on References Milo. The Milo produces 10 watts around at 50 ohms. The Burson will provide about 2 watts into 80 ohms. The actual sensitivity is 92db/mill watt. That’s 4 more db then Abyss 1266. My big amp the HeadTrip 2 if I connect the normal 99-104 db you can hear the transformer. With the Solitaire connected you can barely hear it. You need to make sure the amp has a high current out or bass will not be up to snuff. Now both Milo and HeadTrip have 30db of gain. I’m guessing by design the ha-200 has high current possibly due to high rail voltage allowing the Solitaire to play its best because I’ve learned planar drivers love current. I spoke with Jeff owner of Wells and spoke about Solitaire needing 750 mills watts and that’s just the starting point. Going back to Abyss 1266 that has sensitivity of 46ohms so that’s more demand vs 80 ohms. You need to see what your amp will deliver at 80 ohms and realize 92 db is mid range of sensitivity. The 1266, Susvara, and HE-6 require a powerful amp to get the correct experience. The Solitaire in my opinion needs power to get $6,400 out of them. Connected to the HeadTrip the depth width and 3D is amazing The Milo $1600-$5000 does 95% of the HeadTrip 2 but by design adds more warmth and a bass shelf above the HeadTrip which is a neutral tube sounding $7000 amp. Would you by a Honda and drop a Ferrari engin in it? The guys that have Solitaire P also bought $8,900 amp. Easy to drive is Empyrean, LCD X and Rad-0. Yeah the cheap amp will make sound but it will sound cheap. I’ve owned about 30 headphones and I can tell what works and what doesn’t. Been in audio since 16 now 44. Was a mobile electronics technician before moving into the home audio scene. It’s all about Ohm’s law. Manufacturers that put a tag on the headphone amp producing 14 watts at 16 ohms is great but what will it produce on a more resistant circuit. 80 ohms is high impedance. Look at Beyerdynamics 600 ohm driver well my 50 watts at 8 ohm HeadTrip goes down to 1.8 watts. I ain’t buying a $7000 amp to power a $300-$700 headphone that’s ludicrous. You want a to spend $5000-$6400 on headphone get a amp that matches.
i always thought there are some engineering things that translate into good audio experience. Now I see that I was wrong. It's all about $$$
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back