T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
May 26, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #76 of 3,199
In the interest of fairness, it should also be mentioned that not only the measurements but also the reviewer himself made clear that treble was lacking. So it is not a matter of how much treble is missing exactly, but it is a fact for the reviewer and for me that treble is subdued. I am sure that we will see this also in other future measurements.

Cheers,
Bernie

The term lacking is subjective. I don't think the treble is lacking but I have unusually good treble extension in my hearing despite my age that means that some headphones sound too bright to me, and in doing so, fatiguing.

May 27, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #77 of 3,199
In the interest of fairness, it should also be mentioned that not only the measurements but also the reviewer himself made clear that treble was lacking. So it is not a matter of how much treble is missing exactly, but it is a fact for the reviewer and for me that treble is subdued. I am sure that we will see this also in other future measurements.

Cheers,
Bernie

How do you know which order the review was done in? Measure first then comment on sound accordingly or listen first then review only to comment on the FR afterwards? I think you may find reading his other reviews that he likes to describe the graph he is looking at and commenting on that rather than what he is actually hearing. I would personally completely discredit this review in its entirety and focus elsewhere for peer reviews.

May 27, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #78 of 3,199
I heard these today at a dealer in Toronto. The source was Tidal via a DCS Bartok and unfortunately I did not have the time to compare to other cans.

My preference is for a fast, tonally correct, dynamic, but not lean presentation. Live music has a speed and density to it that is not easy to reproduce, but is my ongoing goal to achieve. Soundstaging is not that inportant to me, but what is there should be natural (not overly wide or narrow) with good placement of instruments and vocalists within the stage.

With that in mind, my impression of the Solitaire was of somewhat warm, polite can with a bit overemphasized bass, some kind of dip in the upper presence region and quite good, but depressed treble. The headphone did not lack detail, however information was presented in a laid back way that may not appeal to some. My sense was that the leading edges of some transients were a bit restricted and this combined with the bit of bloom in the bass bothered me. The soundstaging did not jump out at me, which probably means it did not lean too far in any one direction. The sound was not bad by any means. In fact the piano on Herbie Hancock's "River: The Joni Sessions' sounded fantastic. However Kamasi Washington's "The Epic" lacked the excitement I was expecting . At this price I just expected the whole presentation to be more balanced. In fact after hearing the Solitaire on the Bartok I did not feel compelled to even try it on the T+A headphone amp the dealer also had setup.

Please take my impressions lightly. I only listened for about 40 minutes, am not that great at describing this kind of stuff and am not claiming to have golden ears. Nevertheless @xxx1313 's impressions are consistent with what I heard.

Would I pay the Canadian equivalent of the MSRP for these cans? For me the answer, would be a definite "No", however, I can see it appealing to some. Sometimes a different presentation can be quite attractive.

As always, I think listening for yourself is the best approach. If you enjoy the sound then the opinions of others are pretty meaningless.

May 29, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #79 of 3,199
I heard these today at a dealer in Toronto. The source was Tidal via a DCS Bartok and unfortunately I did not have the time to compare to other cans.

My preference is for a fast, tonally correct, dynamic, but not lean presentation. Live music has a speed and density to it that is not easy to reproduce, but is my ongoing goal to achieve. Soundstaging is not that inportant to me, but what is there should be natural (not overly wide or narrow) with good placement of instruments and vocalists within the stage.

With that in mind, my impression of the Solitaire was of somewhat warm, polite can with a bit overemphasized bass, some kind of dip in the upper presence region and quite good, but depressed treble. The headphone did not lack detail, however information was presented in a laid back way that may not appeal to some. My sense was that the leading edges of some transients were a bit restricted and this combined with the bit of bloom in the bass bothered me. The soundstaging did not jump out at me, which probably means it did not lean too far in any one direction. The sound was not bad by any means. In fact the piano on Herbie Hancock's "River: The Joni Sessions' sounded fantastic. However Kamasi Washington's "The Epic" lacked the excitement I was expecting . At this price I just expected the whole presentation to be more balanced. In fact after hearing the Solitaire on the Bartok I did not feel compelled to even try it on the T+A headphone amp the dealer also had setup.

Please take my impressions lightly. I only listened for about 40 minutes, am not that great at describing this kind of stuff and am not claiming to have golden ears. Nevertheless @xxx1313 's impressions are consistent with what I heard.

Would I pay the Canadian equivalent of the MSRP for these cans? For me the answer, would be a definite "No", however, I can see it appealing to some. Sometimes a different presentation can be quite attractive.

As always, I think listening for yourself is the best approach. If you enjoy the sound then the opinions of others are pretty meaningless.
Which dealer in Toronto?

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #81 of 3,199
If you click the link below it will take you to a brand new review of the T&A Solitaire P headphones and the T&A HA200 amp.
Musicalhead not only reviewed the T&A combo, but he compared it to the Susvara and Abbys 1266 TC and several highend amps like the Riviera AIC 10.
Alas, it is in German, but you can use the Google translator to at least comprehend the gist of the article.
For him the T&A combo ranks as one of the very best headphone systems money can buy.

https://musicalhead.de/category/over-ears-offen/

I just have 02 days listening Solitaire P headphone with HeadAmp HA200.
I totally agree with these review. Seems there are not any weekness in term of sound.
My set-up: Surface Pro 7 - USB Nordost Valhalla 2 - Heimdall Power Cord - Amp HA200 - Heimdall Headphone cable - Solitaire P Headphone.

Attachments

• 5b65aa8a87e37abd23f2.jpg
    5b65aa8a87e37abd23f2.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 0
  • a8cdff22d24b2f15765a.jpg
    a8cdff22d24b2f15765a.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 0
Jun 8, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #82 of 3,199
I just have 02 days listening Solitaire P headphone with HeadAmp HA200.
I totally agree with these review. Seems there are not any weekness in term of sound.
My set-up: Surface Pro 7 - USB Nordost Valhalla 2 - Heimdall Power Cord - Amp HA200 - Heimdall Headphone cable - Solitaire P Headphone.

It is possible they have a special synergy with the HA200; I'll have to try that combination next time I'm at the dealer.

Great to hear that you liked them though! Different impressions are key to this hobby. Definitely the build quality and overall feel of luxury would make any collector proud.

Did you compare directly to any other models?

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #83 of 3,199
It is possible they have a special synergy with the HA200; I'll have to try that combination next time I'm at the dealer.

Great to hear that you liked them though! Different impressions are key to this hobby. Definitely the build quality and overall feel of luxory would make any collector proud.

Did you compare directly to any other models?
My last favorite headphone is Focal Utopia, i place it over LCd3, LCd4, He1000 and Hd800 that i have previously owned and tested . Last time i enjoy so much Focal Utopia with T+A integrated dac/amp R1000e. But Solitaire P with HA200 does better in every aspect.
Solitaire P offers more detail, more space and precise location of intruments than Utopia. Bass and treble is simply perfect in black background. I think the overal tonality is very neutral, detail and smooth also. Especially the bass range have power, extension and rumble like a big speaker.
Maybe you can find Mid tone of Utopia is more “sweet” but Focal make it too “near” to the ear. Mid on Solitaire P is much more natural.
Solitaire P don’t need much power, but need very good dac/amp to let it shine. Any upgrade of power cord, headphone cable will make clear different in sound.
I don’t have Abyss 1266 and Susvara to direct compare with T+A. I think at this level of headphone, choice will depend on “taste”, “looking” and the important is ...how much money to unleash all ability of these luxury ear jewely :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #84 of 3,199
Jun 10, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #85 of 3,199
Jun 10, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #86 of 3,199
Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #87 of 3,199
Jun 10, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #90 of 3,199
Smit's review of the Solitair P is now published. A very impressive headphone indeed!

Funny how the review aligns with my impression, yet we have drawn different conclusions. This is a good example of how different listeners can experience different subjective impressions from similar objective data. It appears we have simply placed different weights on the various aspects of the headphone's performance based on what matters to us.

I agree that the Solitaire P's performance is very good in many ways, but the perceived lack of jump factor (possibly a combination of the low distortion and reduced treble) is a deal killer for me based on the Canadian MSRP. The build quality is fantastic though!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back