T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Mar 8, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #3,151 of 3,179
am having a session with SolP and Zähl HM1 now.

with stock pads, there is a bit too much bass bloom, mid bass bleed, and veiled top end. swapped out to ultra wide pads and the sound is much more to my liking. although less bass, but it is cleaned up, tightened and detailed. +1 on the HM1 bass knob and all is good. top end is super sweet, clean, clear and airy.

The cherry on top happens when switching to Servo mode on the HM1. it is just lovely music right now...

love the SolP. it's such a keeper!

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #3,152 of 3,179
am having a session with SolP and Zähl HM1 now.

with stock pads, there is a bit too much bass bloom, mid bass bleed, and veiled top end. swapped out to ultra wide pads and the sound is much more to my liking. although less bass, but it is cleaned up, tightened and detailed. +1 on the HM1 bass knob and all is good. top end is super sweet, clean, clear and airy.

The cherry on top happens when switching to Servo mode on the HM1. it is just lovely music right now...

love the SolP. it's such a keeper!
I don’t perceive the Sol P as veiled in the highs as the detail and clarity are there just not prominent, i.e. I view the headphone as being “dark”. Now, I am intrigued by your comment and clearly need to do some pad rolling to see how that changes the overall tuning.

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #3,153 of 3,179
I don’t perceive the Sol P as veiled in the highs as the detail and clarity are there just not prominent, i.e. I view the headphone as being “dark”. Now, I am intrigued by your comment and clearly need to do some pad rolling to see how that changes the overall tuning.

I've always preferred the ultra wide to stock pads. there are quite a few here who are the opposite. but it's nice to switch things up once in a while.

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #3,154 of 3,179
with stock pads, there is a bit too much bass bloom, mid bass bleed

Interesting. I had a similar impression - I found that the bass could be a bit bloated, overblown and stodgy at times. I also found that the treble could occasionally be a touch dry, hard and somewhat synthetic sounding, especially with percussion like cymbals, shakers etc. I have been comparing SolP against 1266 TC lately in order to determine which ones I should keep. 1266 has the benefit of running on Superconductor cable so I got some adapters that allow me to use SC cable with SolP and I do like the combination. The bottom end is tightened up and fully controlled now as well as reaching down deeper and the upper frequencies sound more refined and natural. Soundstaging has opened up more as well with greater separation. It is making the choice between the two very difficult and I am tending to prefer whichever one I am wearing, which is slightly annoying! A lot of folk seem to rate 1266 as the best slammerphone with prodigious bass but SolP competes well on the right chain and, this may be contentious, but I think it can actually dig deeper down into the low end. System, ears, preferences etc apply.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #3,155 of 3,179
Interesting. I had a similar impression - I found that the bass could be a bit bloated, overblown and stodgy at times. I also found that the treble could occasionally be a touch dry, hard and somewhat synthetic sounding, especially with percussion like cymbals, shakers etc. I have been comparing SolP against 1266 TC lately in order to determine which ones I should keep. 1266 has the benefit of running on Superconductor cable so I got some adapters that allow me to use SC cable with SolP and I do like the combination. The bottom end is tightened up and fully controlled now as well as reaching down deeper and the upper frequencies sound more refined and natural. Soundstaging has opened up more as well with greater separation. It is making the choice between the two very difficult and I am tending to prefer whichever one I am wearing, which is slightly annoying! A lot of folk seem to rate 1266 as the best slammerphone with prodigious bass but SolP competes well on the right chain and, this may be contentious, but I think it can actually dig deeper down into the low end. System, ears, preferences etc apply.
Is one more comfortable for you? Over time I will bet that you will prefer whichever has the more comfortable fit.

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #3,156 of 3,179
Is one more comfortable for you? Over time I will bet that you will prefer whichever has the more comfortable fit.

SolP is more comfortable. I don’t find 1266 uncomfortable at all though and it is more clearly it’s own thing and unlike any other which, I think, is why so many like it so much. SolP could easily be your only headphone whereas, for me at least, 1266 demands a complementary partner.

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #3,157 of 3,179
I have the Sol P, TC, and Susvara. They are all incredible headphones. My favorite changes from one month to the next. I would love to sell one to free up funds for other toys but I enjoy them all too much currently, even though it is not uncommon for me to not touch one for a couple of weeks as I am so into the other one or two. If I was forced to choose one it would prob be the Sol P as overall it is the easiest to live with and most versatile. The TC is sounding epic atm on my system (they all are really) after a series of recent cable upgrades. Having owned a 1266 for atleast 5 years I feel more than ever that the versatility of the frame and sound is just annoying, I much prefer a headphone that I don't fiddle with and just plonk on my head, like the Sus and Sol P. Whilst I have a Formula S and Powerman to drive the Sus (which is OK) I have a constant voice in the back of my head wanting to hear it on a better amp (Envy, WA33 Elite, AIC10) which I cannot afford (and don't really want to shell out for anyway). So the TC and Sus both have their issues for me, the Sol P is the best build quality, most versatile sound wise, and easiest to drive. Depending on my mood sometimes the Sus can sound too thin, and sometimes the TC can sound to brash, the Sol P always sounds pretty agreeable to my ears. It's sound ceiling MIGHT be slightly lower than the other two tho, but overall it is a super headphone.

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #3,158 of 3,179
I have the Sol P, TC, and Susvara. They are all incredible headphones. My favorite changes from one month to the next. I would love to sell one to free up funds for other toys but I enjoy them all too much currently, even though it is not uncommon for me to not touch one for a couple of weeks as I am so into the other one or two. If I was forced to choose one it would prob be the Sol P as overall it is the easiest to live with and most versatile. The TC is sounding epic atm on my system (they all are really) after a series of recent cable upgrades. Having owned a 1266 for atleast 5 years I feel more than ever that the versatility of the frame and sound is just annoying, I much prefer a headphone that I don't fiddle with and just plonk on my head, like the Sus and Sol P. Whilst I have a Formula S and Powerman to drive the Sus (which is OK) I have a constant voice in the back of my head wanting to hear it on a better amp (Envy, WA33 Elite, AIC10) which I cannot afford (and don't really want to shell out for anyway). So the TC and Sus both have their issues for me, the Sol P is the best build quality, most versatile sound wise, and easiest to drive. Depending on my mood sometimes the Sus can sound too thin, and sometimes the TC can sound to brash, the Sol P always sounds pretty agreeable to my ears. It's sound ceiling MIGHT be slightly lower than the other two tho, but overall it is a super headphone.
and I'm contemplating a HP that complements SolP... Susvara to thin sometimes, needs amp🤔 another Planar?
maybe RAAL 1995... but what kind of low end do ribbons provide?

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #3,159 of 3,179
and I'm contemplating a HP that complements SolP... Susvara to thin sometimes, needs amp🤔 another Planar?
maybe RAAL 1995... but what kind of low end do ribbons provide?
It depends on the specific headphone, amp/chain, etc. In the case of the new Raal 1995 cans, I found the bass to be outstanding, in strong contention for the best I've heard from headphones.

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #3,160 of 3,179
It depends on the specific headphone, amp/chain, etc. In the case of the new Raal 1995 cans, I found the bass to be outstanding, in strong contention for the best I've heard from headphones.
both Magna and Immanis hopefully... hope folks don't advocate for having to "need" 300B amp to power that RAAL transformer properly!

Mar 15, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #3,161 of 3,179
both Magna and Immanis hopefully... hope folks don't advocate for having to "need" 300B amp to power that RAAL transformer properly!

actually the new RAAL HP's are easier to drive than the outstanding sr1a and ca1a...now in terms of quality of sound that is another story

Mar 28, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #3,162 of 3,179
Having new sol P again. Now driven by LTE Z10e amp, golnote DS-10 DAC/Streaming. And first Enklein ION Headphone cable. Really satisfied !!!
Trying to go with 1266 and Susvara, but for Me Sol P is more suitable
I’m waiting my Stax X9000 ordered, to compare (both can driven by LTE Z10e)

Attachments

• IMG_4254.jpeg
    IMG_4254.jpeg
    450.6 KB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #3,163 of 3,179
I’m just enjoying a drink and some music whilst waiting for my wife to get ready to go out. (We all know that means I have a bit of time left yet!). For such relatively brief interludes as this, I usually run SolP straight out of the 4.4 Pentaconn output from my T+A SDV3100 HV as it is a very quick and easy setup. It sounds very good and would probably satisfy most people. It does make me smile and wonder at the lengths we go in order to get ‘more’.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #3,164 of 3,179
I’m just enjoying a drink and some music whilst waiting for my wife to get ready to go out. (We all know that means I have a bit of time left yet!). For such relatively brief interludes as this, I usually run SolP straight out of the 4.4 Pentaconn output from my T+A SDV3100 HV as it is a very quick and easy setup. It sounds very good and would probably satisfy most people. It does make me smile and wonder at the lengths we go in order to get ‘more’.
Sometimes I wonder wether I should upgrade my R Series to HV and if that would get me 'even more'

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #3,165 of 3,179
The SDV 3100 HV seems like an excellent piece. It's only aspirational for me, but I hope to find a way to listen to one sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back