T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Jul 5, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #2,581 of 3,204
I haven't written much about these since I got them, mainly because I had been struggling with hot spots on my head after about 30 minutes of wearing them. I found an old ZMF pilot pad lying around, tried it, and it did the trick! The Soli P headband is too thick for the pilot pad velcro to fit around it, so I just kind of place the pilot pad between my head and the headphone when I put it on. Has anyone with the same issue found a more elegant solution?

I'm still getting used to their sound, so take these as early impressions...They're very enjoyable now that I can wear them comfortably, but I'm struggling to evaluate specific qualities like soundstage on these and place them amongst other TOTL. They have been sounding very left/right to me, not much in between. The crossfeed function on the TT2 helps a great deal with that. Bass sounds very big, but a bit diffuse and not very punchy. I wonder if this is fit related, I have a smaller head so the pads don't really seal around my ears too well. Overall tonality is on the dark side, as expected, and perhaps this impacts the perception of detail a bit compared to something like the LCD5. They sound almost identical to me out of both the TT2 and the CMA Fifteen, which usually isn't the case with other headphones I've tried. The CMA Fifteen is a bit more U shaped compared to a more neutral TT2, but that doesn't really come across on the Soli P. Not necessarily a bad thing, they sound good out of both.

More impressions as I continue to acclimate to them...

BTW, impressions so far have been with the stock pads. I also have a pair of ultrawide that I'm holding off on trying till I have a good handle on the stock sound.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #2,582 of 3,204
I haven't written much about these since I got them, mainly because I had been struggling with hot spots on my head after about 30 minutes of wearing them. I found an old ZMF pilot pad lying around, tried it, and it did the trick! The Soli P headband is too thick for the pilot pad velcro to fit around it, so I just kind of place the pilot pad between my head and the headphone when I put it on. Has anyone with the same issue found a more elegant solution?
Fortunately they are OK for me, comfort wise. I did bend the headband a little, and I wear the headband a little more to the front, ie the narrow part of the head, and in that position it is quite comfortable for me. I may try the pilot pad I’m using for the LCD-4.
I'm still getting used to their sound, so take these as early impressions...They're very enjoyable now that I can wear them comfortably, but I'm struggling to evaluate specific qualities like soundstage on these and place them amongst other TOTL. They have been sounding very left/right to me, not much in between. The crossfeed function on the TT2 helps a great deal with that. Bass sounds very big, but a bit diffuse and not very punchy. I wonder if this is fit related, I have a smaller head so the pads don't really seal around my ears too well. Overall tonality is on the dark side, as expected, and perhaps this impacts the perception of detail a bit compared to something like the LCD5. They sound almost identical to me out of both the TT2 and the CMA Fifteen, which usually isn't the case with other headphones I've tried. The CMA Fifteen is a bit more U shaped compared to a more neutral TT2, but that doesn't really come across on the Soli P. Not necessarily a bad thing, they sound good out of both.
I would say that the tuning of the Sol P and the LCD-5 are almost diametrically opposed. The Solitaire is recessed in the mids, while the LCD-5 is very forward. So yes, I would expect you to hear less detail with the P compared to the 5. I address that somewhat with a 3 dB bump of the mid range. Still won’t be as aggressive as the LCD-5 though, but almost no other headphone is, I suspect.

I’m wondering if there is a fit issue for you indeed, as I think the Sol is quite punchy. I also don’t perceive them as overly left/right, although I think I hear less depth than others do, generally speaking.

At the end of the day, the question is, do you enjoy them? It’s also early days for me, and I am still discovering them and playing around with the pads. So far I like them a lot, but it’s not yet a love affair as I have with the Elite for example. But I think I will get there with these headphones.

Jul 5, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #2,583 of 3,204

More impressions as I continue to acclimate to them...

BTW, impressions so far have been with the stock pads. I also have a pair of ultrawide that I'm holding off on trying till I have a good handle on the stock sound.

that headband design was some massive oversight on their part.. I wish they had made it a different way. I had some discomfort initially, with my wider head shape. tried to "unbend" the curve and straightening it slowly worked a bit. don't know if it has slowly conformed to my head but I no longer have any issues with wearing them for long periods.

I agree with @MatW the lcd5 and SolP are almost the polar opposites. for me, not only in sound but in comfort, aesthetics, build.. I don't think I could listen with the lcd5 for long. granted, my listening with the lcd5 was brief and at shows and the shops, but if I felt that way in initial impressions, I doubt it would change much if I bought them.

give the ultra wide pads a go. they do tighten up the low end. that central impact/punch with the P can be quite amazing, and occasionally I feel it even exceeds the Utopia in punchiness and the TC in overall enjoyment and presentstion. somewhat agree about the LR on some songs, but with vocal tracks I also do get very strong central imaging too. I find the front back depth and height stronger with the P than all my other headphones, even with poorly recorded music and/or from Spotify.

Jul 5, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #2,584 of 3,204
Fortunately they are OK for me, comfort wise. I did bend the headband a little, and I wear the headband a little more to the front, ie the narrow part of the head, and in that position it is quite comfortable for me. I may try the pilot pad I’m using for the LCD-4.

I would say that the tuning of the Sol P and the LCD-5 are almost diametrically opposed. The Solitaire is recessed in the mids, while the LCD-5 is very forward. So yes, I would expect you to hear less detail with the P compared to the 5. I address that somewhat with a 3 dB bump of the mid range. Still won’t be as aggressive as the LCD-5 though, but almost no other headphone is, I suspect.

I’m wondering if there is a fit issue for you indeed, as I think the Sol is quite punchy. I also don’t perceive them as overly left/right, although I think I hear less depth than others do, generally speaking.

At the end of the day, the question is, do you enjoy them? It’s also early days for me, and I am still discovering them and playing around with the pads. So far I like them a lot, but it’s not yet a love affair as I have with the Elite for example. But I think I will get there with these headphones.
when I owned my sol p I found the soundstage very deep and 3 dimensional not at all right to left..also I think they are very detailed but obviously not in your face like the 5

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #2,585 of 3,204
Ok tried the UW pads. I dont know but I like the extra bass from stock pads. Might get a bit of bass bloom but im ok with that. The UW pads do accentuate the treble but I find the Susvara treble to be much more sweeter and less etchy.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #2,586 of 3,204
Ok tried the UW pads. I dont know but I like the extra bass from stock pads. Might get a bit of bass bloom but im ok with that. The UW pads do accentuate the treble but I find the Susvara treble to be much more sweeter and less etchy.
Yep, the ultra wides don't transform SolP into a Susvara.
Susvara is generally more balanced in it's tuning and has the sweet textured treble which I didn't find on another TOTL can so far.
On the other hand I wouldn't call the SolP treble with ultra wides more etchy then let's say TC but I think it all depends alot on the source too.
I was listening today to some chill hop on Apple Music with SolP and for such mostly electro music it's phenomenal with holografy and thump. I didn't miss TC for such kind of music ...
When there's more vocal involved I need the raised mids with PEQ and I might also prefer the stock pads with slightly raised treble through my HA200 then.

Edit: Have been spending the last hours with Roon/HqPlayer instead of direct Apple Music with slightly bumped 3,5kkz and ultra wides listening mostly to Indie stuff like Big Thief, The Rasmus, Soundgarden, Simple Plan, Franz Ferdinand, Nirvana on my HA200 with Loudness medium and then been switching between Holo Audio Spring3 into XLR-in, HQPlayer upsampled to 768khz and straight NOS from Ifi Zen Stream.
Sounds all superb with different varieties like Holo Audio being more spatial and lush, HQPlayer being more technical and detailed with PCM upsampling but still musical and straight Roon being like a mix of both. I have to repeat what I read somewhere before: these headphones are revealing the differences in the presentation of the different sources like DACs and filters more like other cans I remember.
HA200 Loudness function is giving some additional body and rounds of any edginess.
Loudness off makes it a tad leaner and technical.
Anyway no need to go back to stock pads

I can imagine that without such DSP tricks the stock pads can be preferred more easily as they are more forgiving.
But as a baseline I find the wide pads more exiting and spicy to begin with, spatial cues are more appearent, the slightly reduced bass can easily be compensated by the described means, same goes to mids.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #2,587 of 3,204
Yep, the ultra wides don't transform SolP into a Susvara.
Susvara is generally more balanced in it's tuning and has the sweet textured treble which I didn't find on another TOTL can so far.
On the other hand I wouldn't call the SolP treble with ultra wides more etchy then let's say TC but I think it all depends alot on the source too.
I was listening today to some chill hop on Apple Music with SolP and for such mostly electro music it's phenomenal with holografy and thump. I didn't miss TC for such kind of music ...
When there's more vocal involved I need the raised mids with PEQ and I might also prefer the stock pads with slightly raised treble through my HA200 then.
Sorry only slightly etchy compared to susvara. TC treble is more etchy i think.

Jul 7, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #2,588 of 3,204
Susvara treble is really sweet and pretty hard to replicate. agree SolP treble with the wide pads is comparatively "rough" in reference to Susvara and even the stock pads, but I find it is a small trade-off in view of the other benefits it brings over the Sus (and stock pads). was reading the Susvara thread recently and felt a bit of FOMO, contemplated re-buying a set, took a listen with my SolP, cleared my doubts and ended up saving 5k.

Jul 7, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #2,589 of 3,204
SoIP is a great set of cans. I'm definitely keeping them for the long haul. I'm a bit of a bass head so I like the added bass pressure I get from stock. I will probably change the pads up every year or so to change it up though,

Jul 7, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #2,590 of 3,204
SoIP is a great set of cans. I'm definitely keeping them for the long haul. I'm a bit of a bass head so I like the added bass pressure I get from stock. I will probably change the pads up every year or so to change it up though,
I have been considering trying the UW pads and posted a WTB ad.
I am fine with the stock pads and if the UW cut back on bass I may not pursue these, particularly NOT at full retail!

I'm looking to solve a problem i don't have as I use a Loki Max for just a bit of EQ.

Jul 8, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #2,591 of 3,204
I ended up putting this headband sweater on with some padding under it. This has helped with my issues with the headband and they don't look too bad.

20220708_194858.jpg

Jul 8, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #2,592 of 3,204
I ended up putting this headband sweater on with some padding under it. This has helped with my issues with the headband and they don't look too bad.

20220708_194858.jpg

that looks really good. can u share where u got the headband sweater from?

Jul 8, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #2,593 of 3,204
Jul 8, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #2,594 of 3,204

Looks like the identical one I acquired for my loaner Soli P. $10 from some eBay seller as I recall. It really did help with (but not eliminate) the pressure points on either side of my crown, and felt better than the stock material against my skin as well.

EDIT: In retrospect, I probably bought it off amazon as well.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #2,595 of 3,204

Users who are viewing this thread

Back