System better then the Orpheus? I say YES,! Thanks to Aristaeus (56k warning)
Mar 5, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #33 of 56
Well, right now I happend to like this source, but maybe its because I have never heard better? What would you guys recommend? I would like to stay under 4,000 If i do end up getting a better source. I would most definantly be using my computer for music.

Anybody around Santa Barbara with an orpheus that would like to hear a comparison? If so, I'd be a great opportunity to have a mini meet here. Also, a better source so i can see how much better it is than the zhaolu.

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #35 of 56
4k$ will get you a great used source. It depends on what type of sound you like, clean, detailed and very revealing of every fault or do you like the more "romantic" sound that will paint a beautiful picture of the sound but it isn't totally true to the original recording. For the former I would look into Esoteric X-03 or a Wadia 861 and for the latter Reimyo and Audio Aero spring to mind. There are of course sources that do both but they are way more expensive.

I would also look into some new cables. They do not have to be very expensive to deliver a lot but look into buying directly from the manufacturer. If you buy from a dealer you are always paying way more then the cables are worth.

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #36 of 56
Thanks spritzer,

I Like more clean and very detailed sound. Fun factor is big for me which is why I think I enjoy this set up so much. I enjoy the rs-1 more than the hp-1 too because the hp-1 sounds too boring/dull with little fun factor.

One of the reasons I think i like this set up more than my orpheus is because this gave me more of wow factor with the crisp clean details, where as the orpheus was more romantic and euphonic sounding.

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #38 of 56
I think you are at least partially in the same sonic boat as me. I want my system to be fun and play every thing well but it has to be true to the source at the same time. I do also analyze every thing by nature and I'm a very tough critic so a small flaw will drive me nuts. It's not easy being me...
biggrin.gif

Yup they are all cd players. Some have a s/pdif input but dac's in this price are pretty rare. Reimyo, Audio Aero and Wadia all produce one that should be under 4k$ used. There is also the new APL Hi-Fi dac that will be released shortly. It will be pretty interesting.

Mar 5, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by surfboardz26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, right now I happend to like this source, but maybe its because I have never heard better? What would you guys recommend? I would like to stay under 4,000 If i do end up getting a better source. I would most definantly be using my computer for music.

Anybody around Santa Barbara with an orpheus that would like to hear a comparison? If so, I'd be a great opportunity to have a mini meet here. Also, a better source so i can see how much better it is than the zhaolu.

Good lord 4000 for a source is plenty, and in my opinion brings you into the beginning of the truly high end stuff. I love my Meridian G08 personally. Wadia, Cary, tons of stuff out there. But I would advise on auditioning first, because cd players can vary in flavor and presentation almost as much as headphones. But with your budget, your options are great and they would all sound killer.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #42 of 56
I've heard the HE90/Aristaeus with an SCD-1, Esoteric DV-50 and Ayre 7xe. I had Guss2's in my house for a couple of weeks. For redbook, the Ayre and Esoteric were both worthy of this setup. For multichannel, I preferred the Esoteric over the SCD-1. With an set up like that, you owe it to yourself to add a better source, imo. There are so many choices for sources in the $2000 to $4000 range.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #43 of 56
Of course once you spend $4K on a CD/SACD player - you still need to get a TT to discover true high end sound... it never ends... just enjoy what you have and ignore everyone - they will take the joy of music away along with your wallet
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #44 of 56
HAh, thanks Rob, but I dont think anyone can ever take away my enjoyment for music right now. It's just not possible. Thats one of the reasons I havn't ever really thought about buying another source; because I've been enjoying too much. Even Here, you can see with the orpheus the same zhaolu setting next to my setup.

I also, appreciate everyones input thus far. Thanks

I just noticed something... doesn't akwok's Aristaeus have blue leds or was that edited like that because mine are red? Andrian?

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #45 of 56
I requested blue LEDs. Red LEDs are default.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back