System better then the Orpheus? I say YES,! Thanks to Aristaeus (56k warning)
Mar 4, 2007 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

surfboardz26

Member of the Trade
Is there such thing as a system better then the legendary Orpheus? I would say so, and I think I just found it. The Aristaeus just landed a couple of days ago which brought music fidelity to a whole new spectrum in which I have never heard. I reserved a couple of days for burn in and initial impressions to settle in before I posted this. Also, I try not to keep that this is my new system as a factor when I review this headphone and compare it to the Orpheus. I will be fully honest in what I say to what I really do believe. I also put this in the amp section as I believe its one of the true components which brings the sound to such fineness.

The Aristaeus seems like it pushes the original SR-Omega to their full/best potential. The first time I listened and the last time I listened, I still can’t belive what I’m hearing. The sound is stronger and more lively than I have ever heard. Although it’s hard do direct comparisons between the two because I sold the Orpheus, I can definantly say I have never had this much enjoyment from a headphone system. To me, the Orpheus was a more mellow system with a more euphonic sound, but the Aristaeus and Omega is more of an eye popping, experience. (If that makes sense) The Omega I system with out a doubt has a larger headstage and sound stage. I think this is one of the factors that amzes me every time I put this headphone on. The Orpheus portrays more micro details than the Omega I. With less sound stage, the Orpheus can depict a more accurate positioning of the artists and instruments. The strings and acoustic sound absolutely jaw dropping to me on the omega headphone. I can’t compare it to the Orpheus, but I don’t remember anything sounding this good. The Orpheus is definantly more relaxing, and the sound is overall more velvet-silky like milk flowing in the mouth after a cookie. The omega I is a faster headphone like a Bacardi 151 shot that’s lit on fire. Female vocals sounded better to me on the Orpheus maybe because of its velvet smooth presentation. The Omega I female focals sound very nice and full, but just not as rich as the Orpheus.

The music on the Omega I sounds Very true. I have an even greater appreciation to music now just from subtle differences in the sound. The high resolution has on this headphone makes music sound like its breathing. It sounds palpably real and the bass is robust and deep. Each bass note sounds slightly different as you can hear every detail in every bass note from different bass plucks and strains. The depth is so incredible its hard to explain. The deapth fills the room with reveration. Guitar is intimate with full, warm tonality. Most modern music has artificial depth so it cant be used reliably to gauge this important aspect of reproduction accurately so I used the song Sarah k. “if I can sing your blues”

Atmosphere is warm and inviting. The stage is expansive yet the voice is quite immediate with a wide dynamic range. Bass is full and warm in the atmosphere and Sounds very lush and relaxing

Midrange Purity in this system is remarkable. First try to snap your fingers, if you pay close attentions you can hear a flesh and bone quality to it. In a hi end system you should hear the same details. I notice the body of artist contributes to the sound, which makes the music all the more natural. This brings me to naturalness. Preccusit effects fill the room. The music envelops me and the instruments resonates within the room. Deep rich sound pulls me in every time. This headphone system never allows graceful music to reveal an electronic glare, which I notice in my Grado headphones. I can almost feel the breath from the singer.

Transparency has a good transient attack. The Aristaeus drives every note to a distinct feel which defines all the played acoustics. The notes soundes airy and full, but not boomy. The notes are delicate but strong and has a feel like an open window; that is, as if there was nothing between the listener and the music. The hardware simply disappears and only the music remains.

Another important aspect of a quality system is the reflection of music. I noticed this the first time with the Orpheus. The omega’s and orpehus’s warm, burnished tones, reflects of the back wall with a discrete sound to it. The higher the quality the more discrete the reflections is. The Orpheus and Omega have no problem revealing these traits.

More to come but for now I’m too busy listening. I hope you guys have a better feel for some differences in sonics.

If I had a choice between the two I think you guys know which I would pick, however I would like to liseten to both side by side. I might go the Head-fest national meet so you guys can give this system a listen, but right now I’m just not too sure. (It’s a 7 hour drive for me)

Please excuse all my grammar errors and syntax errors. I did not spell check or re-read this nor am I an English major. I just quickly jotted down my impressions.

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 56
This thread is useless without pics
tongue.gif
Just kidding, congrats. Now don't sell them
icon10.gif

Edit: Nice! As I was posting, pics weren't up yet. Chalk it up to ESP

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is useless without pics
tongue.gif
Just kidding, congrats. Now don't sell them
icon10.gif

Edit: Nice! As I was posting, pics weren't up yet. Chalk it up to ESP

Hah, Thanks, but i would never sell unless i absolutley had to.

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 56
While I truly admire the value of the Zhoalu DAC, don't you think that it seems a bit... out of place in such a system?
confused.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by surfboardz26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

your hand is shaking..

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I truly admire the value of the Zhoalu DAC, don't you think that it seems a bit... out of place in such a system?
confused.gif

ya... and I've been thinking the same for a while now, and always thought it was much better than my $900.00 benchmark dac1 so I just never really thought about buying another dac. I like sound from it so I just never have really decided to buy a better dac. I guess in the back of my mind i think a 4,000 dollar dac or what ever higher price it is will only bring the music level to a different presentation...,but I duno really. I guess I will upgrade some time but right now I love this set up. Cant get enough!

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 56
have you considered zapfiltering your zhaolu? it really adds weight to the sound which i think electrostatics can make use of. to me, the stock zhaolu is nothing special and doesn't have the weight and the analogue-ness.

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you considered zapfiltering your zhaolu? it really adds weight to the sound which i think electrostatics can make use of. to me, the stock zhaolu is nothing special and doesn't have the weight and the analogue-ness.

Zhaolus are hardly electrostatic-friendly no matter what you do to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back