Synergistic Research HOT device
Dec 24, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #151 of 168

Everyone else can read both threads and see for themselves, minus a libellous statement that was removed.

Well, I read through both threads as a casual observer, and this is what stood out the most for me:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/741043/some-hot-science-from-synergistic-research/345#post_11054063

It is a vaguely worded but a very real legal threat made against Steve Eddy for posting the results of a chemical spectrography on HOT.

"Steve Eddy your analysis regarding the compound is false. The compound as found in HOT is man-made and not naturally occurring. Since you have chosen to conduct a campaign to libel my company on a public forum I will give you only one chance to publish a full retraction.

Ted Denney
Lead Designer, Synergistic Research Inc."

Of course, Ted Denney is no fool and is fully aware that any such lawsuit would be ruthlessly laughed out of a courtroom, that the truth is an absolute defense to libel. 

Personally, based on what I have read so far, I think that Ted Denney is a very cynical and shrewd salesman. Again, speaking only for myself, I also think that the HOT nonsense deserves as wide a ridicule and coverage as the $500 audiophile wooden knob. 

http://www.poormojo.org/pmjadaily/archives/009864.php

I would not be surprised, however, if this and other products of Ted Denney's do become subjects for scrutiny on the likes of Reddit, Snopes, and audiophile forums in the future.

It is good to keep an open mind, but at some point, common sense must kick in and prevail. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #152 of 168

Everyone else can read both threads and see for themselves, minus a libelous statement that was removed.

"Snake oil […] has come to refer to any product with questionable or unverifiable quality or benefit. By extension, a snake oil salesman is someone who knowingly sells fraudulent goods or who is himself or herself a fraud, quackcharlatan, or the like." (wiki)

"A charlatan is usually a writer, speaker, preacher, professor, or some other “expert” who tries to conceal his or her lack of skill or knowledge by resorting to pretentious displays (supposedly a leading authority in his field, he turned out to be nothing but a charlatan)." (OED)

Interestingly, the etymological origin of charlatan is an Italian word for babble, while quack is Dutch for prattle.

In what way does that not fit SR and their ilk to a tee?

It is also worth noting that while dictionaries often more or less equates fraud with these other terms, US court draws a clear distinction, where fraud is a serious criminal offence. As such I would be very careful before accusing Ted or anyone else on these fora for something like that.

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #153 of 168
For me it's very simple:  the seller has not provided a single word of verifiable explanation regarding the way the product works and that fits within electrical theory as we know it.  It seems to me that the burden of proof lies with him, no one here has to prove it doesn't work to begin with.  Lacking a clear explanation as to how it works and given its construction and the test data that was already published, extreme scepticism doesn't strike me as excessive.

I don't believe the moderators here are on the take or anything like that and I understand moderating these forums is not an easy task but I do feel that some post deletions have been rather heavy handed and unilateral.

Anyway, case closed for me, I'm gonna grab me some vegetarian grub for tonight (the other diners will have the turkey, which yours truly gets to prepare), stock up on wine and annoy the hell out of everyone with some Bach.  Merry x-mas to everyone!

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #154 of 168
Merry Christmas to everyone on the Sound Science section and everyone at Head-Fi! :)

As for the HOT device, I've followed both threads and found them incredibly interesting as a newcomer to the audiophile world but my thoughts on the HOT device are that this is one turkey too far, Christmas or otherwise.

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #155 of 168
Any idea what these red plugs are above the mini-xlr termination (on the Synergistic Research Atmosphere HP cable)?
What are these?.jpeg

Apr 24, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #156 of 168
Any idea what these red plugs are above the mini-xlr termination (on the Synergistic Research Atmosphere HP cable)?
If you read this thread, you’d know this is a completely inappropriate question to ask here. But I do thank you for resuscitating this gold mine of a thread. Apparently I missed out on some serious drama when I was away from Head-Fi.

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #157 of 168
ACK! This the the thread that got me banned and set the whole diaspora in motion. Lots of missing posts here. Thankfully the photo I posted (that showed a teardown of the dongle revealing that the thing was nothing more than a male and female plug joined directly with two wires wrapped in tin foil) has been deleted for the safety of all involved.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #158 of 168
ACK! This the the thread that got me banned and set the whole diaspora in motion. Lots of missing posts here. Thankfully the photo I posted (that showed a teardown of the dongle revealing that the thing was nothing more than a male and female plug joined directly with two wires wrapped in tin foil) has been deleted for the safety of all involved.

Probably had something to do with a mod "hearing differences" and you saying "no you're not". The picture does still exist in a quoted post. I saw it. There is apparently also another thread (linked in this one) where Steve Eddy posts the results of mass spectroscopy on the device and the company threatens to sue. Amazing.

May 5, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #159 of 168
There was so much heat about a device called HOT which had no subjective effect on the sound (and by its design, apparently could not objectively do so either). It was ineffective; and since its marketing was nonsensical blather, and cost $300, there was justifiable criticism of it. I never saw any defense of the item that seemed sound or logical.

May 7, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #160 of 168
There was so much heat about a device called HOT which had no subjective effect on the sound (and by its design, apparently could not objectively do so either). It was ineffective; and since its marketing was nonsensical blather, and cost $300, there was justifiable criticism of it. I never saw any defense of the item that seemed sound or logical.
A great study on placebo and our imaginations. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #162 of 168
They have a lot of new "products". I was in their Facebook group for about 15 minutes until they blocked me.

May 8, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #163 of 168
Their website has similar looking devices for use on the wall, (to tune the room), located under the Acoustics/Passive sub page. Oh, they also have dots that apparently will make your system and room disappear. Just too many choices. :confused:

May 8, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #164 of 168

:laughing:

Mar 30, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #165 of 168
Their website has similar looking devices for use on the wall, (to tune the room), located under the Acoustics/Passive sub page. Oh, they also have dots that apparently will make your system and room disappear. Just too many choices. :confused:
Yes yes I know I tend to be a thread necromancer….. but I had to look these up and I’ve been lmao at these dots for 5 mins. Omg 🤣😂🤣 these are like those bs holographic chip wrist bands from like 10 years ago hahahahaha *snort*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back