Symphonium Crimson - Impressions and Reviews (The Next Standard)
Mar 13, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #436 of 445
I got around to getting a pair of the Tangzu Sancai wide bore. @Premetec I will share my thoughts.

Sancai regular bore - good timbre with an ephasis on bass/midbass punch and reduced highs with amazing technicalities, this may be due to deeper insertion by 2-3mm.

Sancai wide bore - more natural timber but spicy highs are back (almost unbearable), technicalities are still great, separation and depth aren't quite as good to me, this again may be perception due to the shorter insertion.

It's tough I really like the tonality/timber with the wide but I also love the separation and staging created by the standard.(it's seriously good)

Both sound very good compared to spinfit, azla, divinitus, but if trebble reduction is needed definitely take the standard bore over wide.

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #437 of 445
I've had quite some time with both IEMs (Naturally ^^)

The Titan was designed to be a clean basshead IEM, it has a smooth enveloping bass sound. It's highs are quite similar to the Crimson but is smoothed out.
Less people would find the Titan's treble 'hot' vs the Crimson.

The Crimson has better detail retrieval and a wider head stage but may require some tip rolling if you are treble sensitive.
Crimson's bass is a different take for sure, with a more refined sub-bass boost while the Titan's one is more rounded in general with less resolution.

I urge you all to demo the Titan when you have the chance, it is a refreshing take on the basshead IEMs out there (which tend to be associated with 'muddiness')
Any chance to see a graph any time soon? (not that graphs tell all the story of course)

Very curious to get ears on this someday :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 15, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #439 of 445
Any chance to see a graph any time soon? (not that graphs tell all the story of course)

Very curious to get ears on this someday :)

You shall my good sir!

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #441 of 445
I got around to getting a pair of the Tangzu Sancai wide bore. @Premetec I will share my thoughts.

Sancai regular bore - good timbre with an ephasis on bass/midbass punch and reduced highs with amazing technicalities, this may be due to deeper insertion by 2-3mm.

Sancai wide bore - more natural timber but spicy highs are back (almost unbearable), technicalities are still great, separation and depth aren't quite as good to me, this again may be perception due to the shorter insertion.

It's tough I really like the tonality/timber with the wide but I also love the separation and staging created by the standard.(it's seriously good)

Both sound very good compared to spinfit, azla, divinitus, but if trebble reduction is needed definitely take the standard bore over wide.
You are right , tangzu sancai og are the best, i have try another tip roll, spiral have extra stage but sancai are betther in all , and free of pression feeling

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #442 of 445
Helios SE and Crimson Impressions
I had the chance to try Crimson and Helios SE so I figured I would post my thoughts on them here, as well as my general thoughts on Helios since I've had the chance to try that a good few times.

Crimson: Hot. This IEM is beautiful and does so much so well it's pretty incredible. The fit and finish like all symphonium products is awesome and like all the other symphonium products this IEM is completely unvented meaning it has awesome isolation. comes with good tips and a solid cable, the one I tried even had an OE multi connector so I could use the 4.4mm on my sony DAP easily. As far as sound goes this IEM isn't too far from what Helios, which is great because that IEM is awesome. It's a little warmer in a way I'm not a fan of but I generally hate warm, and combining warm with sony daps probably isn't a great plan for my tastes either lol, but what it looses in tone for me it gains in resolution which is ever so slightly better. My biggest complaint was there was something in the treble that, to my ears, was really not doing it for me. A peak really up there. Probably won't be a big deal for most considering how deep into the treble it was.

Helios SE: Magic. This is, for me (an earlet), so awesome. It's effectively a Helios but this one fits my ears. Amazing tuning, great technical abilities all around. It's got an interesting presentation where it doesn't have a ton of midbass but it has great subbass extension and the treble extension just goes forever without being fatiguing. This continues to be one of my favorite IEMs years after it has come out because nothing has done what it does well as well anywhere close to the price. The biggest "downside" is that the timbre isn't up to snuff with stuff that cost substantially more. big whoop. Overall I'm a bigger fan of Helios compared to Crimson but I could easily see someone preferring the warmer tone of crimson

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #443 of 445
You are right , tangzu sancai og are the best, i have try another tip roll, spiral have extra stage but sancai are betther in all , and free of pression feeling

Another vote for the Sancai OG here - had them for the past weeks and they are great.

Helios SE and Crimson Impressions
I had the chance to try Crimson and Helios SE so I figured I would post my thoughts on them here, as well as my general thoughts on Helios since I've had the chance to try that a good few times.

Crimson: Hot. This IEM is beautiful and does so much so well it's pretty incredible. The fit and finish like all symphonium products is awesome and like all the other symphonium products this IEM is completely unvented meaning it has awesome isolation. comes with good tips and a solid cable, the one I tried even had an OE multi connector so I could use the 4.4mm on my sony DAP easily. As far as sound goes this IEM isn't too far from what Helios, which is great because that IEM is awesome. It's a little warmer in a way I'm not a fan of but I generally hate warm, and combining warm with sony daps probably isn't a great plan for my tastes either lol, but what it looses in tone for me it gains in resolution which is ever so slightly better. My biggest complaint was there was something in the treble that, to my ears, was really not doing it for me. A peak really up there. Probably won't be a big deal for most considering how deep into the treble it was.

Helios SE: Magic. This is, for me (an earlet), so awesome. It's effectively a Helios but this one fits my ears. Amazing tuning, great technical abilities all around. It's got an interesting presentation where it doesn't have a ton of midbass but it has great subbass extension and the treble extension just goes forever without being fatiguing. This continues to be one of my favorite IEMs years after it has come out because nothing has done what it does well as well anywhere close to the price. The biggest "downside" is that the timbre isn't up to snuff with stuff that cost substantially more. big whoop. Overall I'm a bigger fan of Helios compared to Crimson but I could easily see someone preferring the warmer tone of crimson

Thanks buddy, appreciate the feedback!

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #444 of 445
Thanks for @Sebastien Chiu & @Damz87 for the Australian Tour of the Symphonium Crimson, I had the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks with this IEM in return for my honest impressions, as always my impressions aren't influenced by this.

Packaging:
The IEM comes packaged in a fairly small box, the tour model comes with upgraded 8W cable with interchangeable termination (3.5mm / 4.4mm), I used 4.4mm for my time with Crimson. It also comes with two different types of tips, Azla Sednafit Standard and Divinus Velvets, I preferred the sound with the Sednafit, but preferred the feel of the Velvets, in the end I used Clarion Tri tips for most of my time with the IEM. It also comes with a (to me) extremely small metal puck to store the IEM in, nice quality but not big enough for me. Overall decent for the price.

Fit:
My relationship didn't start out well with Crimson, there is no venting on this IEM and I'm quite sensitive to pressure build up, so had to use the Velvets, but found that the did something to the sound that I wasn't a big fan of. I ended up with them on most of the time at the start but I had an order of Clarion TRI coming, despite them not being vented I found they helped with pressure build up (not completely but enough), and got back the sound of the Sednafit, so once they arrived I used those and they are what my sound impressions are based on. Other than that they fit my ears quite well.

My Setup:
I mainly listed to these through my FiiO Q7 fed from my iPhone 14, using the 4.4mm output. I did receive the Luxury & Precision W4 today and have driven it from that today for the last few hours, surprisingly I preferred the Crimson from this setup and addressed a few concerns I had (causing me to rewrite most of the impressions below). I didn't expect it to work well from a dongle but here I am, and to be honest it saved the IEM for me. In short, I don't recommend this from the FiiO, but do from the W4 and would recommend trying multiple sources. Music wise I like a little bit of everything and listened to a little bit of everything through these.

Sound:
Bass:

I prefer DD's for bass, and I recently got the Scarlet Mini, so I've pretty much paused my Scarlet Mini listening for the purpose of reviewing this, but the preference still stands. The bass on the Crimson is well done, it doesn't hit deep like some DD's but there is plenty of impact and it's extremely well controlled. Sub bass is nice, maybe a little but of rumble. No bleed into the mids and doesn't ruin anything else. Nice and above average, nearly great.

Mids:
Detailed, accurate. Vocals sound great, not amazing for male or female but great across the board. Forward, not overly so, but certainly more so than 'neutral'. Very enjoyable to listen to and no complaints.

Treble:
With some tips this IEM can be very bright. Almost painfully so. With the Clarion Tri that disappeared completely and you're left with an absolutely beautiful treble presentation. There is a lot of detail presented here, not really an IEM to sit back and relax with, but when you want to really extract detail from this region the Crimson delivered it in spades. It's the standout area for me, and the reason you'd want to pick this IEM up.

Technicalities:
At this price point it's somewhere at the top of the list. The stage is expansive in width, depth is decent. I've been listening to headphones quite a bit recently and IEM's just don't get there, but comparing to it's IEM brethren it does extremely well.

Comparisons:
vs 7th Acoustics Supernova:

My favourite all BA set, Crimson doesn't change that from an overall package. Supernova is cheaper than Crimson, 6BA vs 4BA in Crimson. I prefer the bass and mids on Supernova, with vocals shining a little more for me. It doesn't reach the technical prowess of the Crimson. Supernova certainly warmer overall. Would make a good pair together for the BA lover.

vs Sennheiser IE900:
Similar price, completely different design and sound. IE900 sits high up on my list for an IEM at any price point. I find it to be an extremely musical and coherent IEM. Crimson does extract more detail in the treble region, and would work better for tracks where you want that. Again, quite complementary for two very different sounding presentations.

vs Thieaudio Monarch Mk3:
Monarch Mk3 is cheaper than Crimson by 500USD. It's a tribrid DD, BA, EST. For my money the Monarch Mk3 is more balanced across the board, but it's more of a sit down and relax IEM. Where you'd lean towards Crimson would be if you want a cleaner sounding IEM that extracts detail and shoves it in your face.

A note on source:
So, for most of the time that I had Crimson I found it boring, this was being driven from my FiiO Q7 and trialling many different tips. At the last minute I received the W4 and listening to it through that did something which I can't quite pinpoint, but transformed it into something that I enjoyed. For the most part none of the sound impressions changed, it just went from meh to this is quite nice. I generally do source roll but I haven't really had anything I didn't like from the Q7, so didn't bother with this until I got the W4 and just wanted to try the dongle out. Anyway, point being, try different sources with Crimson, it can transform your experience.

Overall:
This very quickly went to something I really enjoyed when I had the right source. Design wise I wish it had some venting, but the right tips eventually pretty much solved that for me. I think it's probably ~500USD to much for what you're getting, but for certain music and tastes it will be perfect. In the treble region it competes with TOTL sets, but so do other IEM's at lower price points for other TOTL qualities. It get's a 'recommended for some' at 1500USD from me.

From my rankings (I haven't put the IE900 into the below format yet):

1713071048735.png

1713071078685.png

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #445 of 445
Thanks for @Sebastien Chiu & @Damz87 for the Australian Tour of the Symphonium Crimson, I had the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks with this IEM in return for my honest impressions, as always my impressions aren't influenced by this.

Packaging:
The IEM comes packaged in a fairly small box, the tour model comes with upgraded 8W cable with interchangeable termination (3.5mm / 4.4mm), I used 4.4mm for my time with Crimson. It also comes with two different types of tips, Azla Sednafit Standard and Divinus Velvets, I preferred the sound with the Sednafit, but preferred the feel of the Velvets, in the end I used Clarion Tri tips for most of my time with the IEM. It also comes with a (to me) extremely small metal puck to store the IEM in, nice quality but not big enough for me. Overall decent for the price.

Fit:
My relationship didn't start out well with Crimson, there is no venting on this IEM and I'm quite sensitive to pressure build up, so had to use the Velvets, but found that the did something to the sound that I wasn't a big fan of. I ended up with them on most of the time at the start but I had an order of Clarion TRI coming, despite them not being vented I found they helped with pressure build up (not completely but enough), and got back the sound of the Sednafit, so once they arrived I used those and they are what my sound impressions are based on. Other than that they fit my ears quite well.

My Setup:
I mainly listed to these through my FiiO Q7 fed from my iPhone 14, using the 4.4mm output. I did receive the Luxury & Precision W4 today and have driven it from that today for the last few hours, surprisingly I preferred the Crimson from this setup and addressed a few concerns I had (causing me to rewrite most of the impressions below). I didn't expect it to work well from a dongle but here I am, and to be honest it saved the IEM for me. In short, I don't recommend this from the FiiO, but do from the W4 and would recommend trying multiple sources. Music wise I like a little bit of everything and listened to a little bit of everything through these.

Sound:
Bass:

I prefer DD's for bass, and I recently got the Scarlet Mini, so I've pretty much paused my Scarlet Mini listening for the purpose of reviewing this, but the preference still stands. The bass on the Crimson is well done, it doesn't hit deep like some DD's but there is plenty of impact and it's extremely well controlled. Sub bass is nice, maybe a little but of rumble. No bleed into the mids and doesn't ruin anything else. Nice and above average, nearly great.

Mids:
Detailed, accurate. Vocals sound great, not amazing for male or female but great across the board. Forward, not overly so, but certainly more so than 'neutral'. Very enjoyable to listen to and no complaints.

Treble:
With some tips this IEM can be very bright. Almost painfully so. With the Clarion Tri that disappeared completely and you're left with an absolutely beautiful treble presentation. There is a lot of detail presented here, not really an IEM to sit back and relax with, but when you want to really extract detail from this region the Crimson delivered it in spades. It's the standout area for me, and the reason you'd want to pick this IEM up.

Technicalities:
At this price point it's somewhere at the top of the list. The stage is expansive in width, depth is decent. I've been listening to headphones quite a bit recently and IEM's just don't get there, but comparing to it's IEM brethren it does extremely well.

Comparisons:
vs 7th Acoustics Supernova:

My favourite all BA set, Crimson doesn't change that from an overall package. Supernova is cheaper than Crimson, 6BA vs 4BA in Crimson. I prefer the bass and mids on Supernova, with vocals shining a little more for me. It doesn't reach the technical prowess of the Crimson. Supernova certainly warmer overall. Would make a good pair together for the BA lover.

vs Sennheiser IE900:
Similar price, completely different design and sound. IE900 sits high up on my list for an IEM at any price point. I find it to be an extremely musical and coherent IEM. Crimson does extract more detail in the treble region, and would work better for tracks where you want that. Again, quite complementary for two very different sounding presentations.

vs Thieaudio Monarch Mk3:
Monarch Mk3 is cheaper than Crimson by 500USD. It's a tribrid DD, BA, EST. For my money the Monarch Mk3 is more balanced across the board, but it's more of a sit down and relax IEM. Where you'd lean towards Crimson would be if you want a cleaner sounding IEM that extracts detail and shoves it in your face.

A note on source:
So, for most of the time that I had Crimson I found it boring, this was being driven from my FiiO Q7 and trialling many different tips. At the last minute I received the W4 and listening to it through that did something which I can't quite pinpoint, but transformed it into something that I enjoyed. For the most part none of the sound impressions changed, it just went from meh to this is quite nice. I generally do source roll but I haven't really had anything I didn't like from the Q7, so didn't bother with this until I got the W4 and just wanted to try the dongle out. Anyway, point being, try different sources with Crimson, it can transform your experience.

Overall:
This very quickly went to something I really enjoyed when I had the right source. Design wise I wish it had some venting, but the right tips eventually pretty much solved that for me. I think it's probably ~500USD to much for what you're getting, but for certain music and tastes it will be perfect. In the treble region it competes with TOTL sets, but so do other IEM's at lower price points for other TOTL qualities. It get's a 'recommended for some' at 1500USD from me.

From my rankings (I haven't put the IE900 into the below format yet):

1713071048735.png

1713071078685.png

Thanks for the detailed review and comparisons!

Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back