Symphonium Crimson - Impressions and Reviews (The Next Standard)
Sep 19, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #136 of 445
Whether it’s truly 4BA or another driver configuration, Crimson is at a U12t level as an overall IEM in my mind. Considering that, I think $1600 is more than a fair asking price.

Personally, I buy based on sound, not driver specs, but I respect those that would feel let down if Crimson was 4BA.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #138 of 445
Well that's me preordered with Eliseaudio. Looking forward to trying them!

Got to send my U12T for repair as the grill has fallen out on one of them, but will definitely be comparing them once they are back.

Then will be selling the losers! :)

Sep 21, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #140 of 445
Just curous for anyone that has gotten it. After break in does it still have that plasticky overy smooth fade out sustain dacay for everything; its was really annoying on vocals when I tried it.
I hadn’t heard it as plastic sounding aka artificial. What I heard was accurate timbre and extremely clean sound with great layering and separation. Different strokes for different folks and it’s great hearing all opinions on these.

Sep 21, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #141 of 445
I hadn’t heard it as plastic sounding aka artificial. What I heard was accurate timbre and extremely clean sound with great layering and separation. Different strokes for different folks and it’s great hearing all opinions on these.
Might have to go again with a collection of sources then. Maybe it's just the CS NOS filter on my DX300 causing it now that I think about it.

Thanks also for confirming what I was hearing was not the usual.

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #142 of 445
Might have to go again with a collection of sources then. Maybe it's just the CS NOS filter on my DX300 causing it now that I think about it.

Thanks also for confirming what I was hearing was not the usual.
Hi I am listening through the Shanling M6ultra and the Ibasso dx320 amp 12, the Ibasso has greater detail the Shanling warms thing up a bit. The Crimson is one click over the line of neutral to bright vs the u12t which to me is slightly warm

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #143 of 445
I was fortunate enough to have a good number of hours listening to Crimson during a private tour. Here are my thoughts below,
IMG_2598.jpeg

Pros:
Great sub bass texture/detail
Controlled, clean mid bass with texture/detail, not boomy in regular tracks
Bass is present but really shines/is authoritative on when summoned
Slightly forward mids
Wide stage
Great decay/air
U-W shape sound
The size and fit should work for most ears

Cons:
Not really a con but I think the forged carbon faceplates are okay but it is something different than we've seen thus far. I like how the Helios SE's faceplate changes color more personally. I would have also preferred a recessed 2-pin.

Other thoughts:
Fills a gap for me between Meteor, Helios and STORM. I've been wanting something with a bit more mid bass punch and Crimson fills that spot very well, perhaps a little too well since I want one for myself now. It took me some time to warm up to Crimson as the wide staging threw me off initially but once I was adjusted, it was hard to take Crimson out of my ears. The Sedna tips worked better for me than Velvets, Velvets sounded a little too smoothed/dampened for my preferences though others have had good success with Velvets especially those who are sensitive to treble.

IMG_2609.jpeg

Sep 25, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #144 of 445
Has anyone tried to buy or preorder this in the EU? It's hard to get in touch with the Polish dealer listed on Symphonium's website (Audio Heaven) since the dealer's website is a placeholder, and I don't use Facebook.
I messaged them on eBay a few days ago but haven't heard back yet.

Sep 25, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #145 of 445
Anyone who has had experience with Crimson and Monarch 3/Butastur /SoundRhyme, who can chime in some comparisons!
I have the u12t, it's great but it sounds a little distant sounding to me, loses out a bit on engagement while the SR8 on the other hand satisfies me on that, but loses a bit on microdynamics and details. Looking for something with all round capabilities in the sub 1.5k category.
Shortlisted IEMs include Monarch 3, U4s, Crimson, and Butastur.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #146 of 445
Anyone who has had experience with Crimson and Monarch 3 who can chime in some comparisons!
I have the u12t, it's great but it sounds a little distant sounding to me, loses out a bit on engagement while the SR8 on the other hand satisfies me on that, but loses a bit on microdynamics and details. Looking for something with all round capabilities in the sub 1.5k category.
Shortlisted IEMs include Monarch 3, U4s, Crimson, and Butastur.
Did a quick a/b over 2 songs: Odie to Billie Joe by Patricia Barber and Shoot the Moon by Norah Jones.

Monarch 3 is very warm and coloured to point where microdynamics and details are hidden/lost. Crimson is the opposite.

Soundstage width and depth is about the same with Crimson a little more layered and deeper. Monarch's bass is more forward.

My personal preference: Monarch 3 for Shoot the Moon. Crimson for Odie to Billie Joe.

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #147 of 445
Did a quick a/b over 2 songs: Odie to Billie Joe by Patricia Barber and Shoot the Moon by Norah Jones.

Monarch 3 is very warm and coloured to point where microdynamics and details are hidden/lost. Crimson is the opposite.

Soundstage width and depth is about the same with Crimson a little more layered and deeper. Monarch's bass is more forward.

My personal preference: Monarch 3 for Shoot the Moon. Crimson for Odie to Billie Joe.
What would you prefer for EDM/Progressive Rock/Classic Rock, if in case you listen to them? Say, Metallica, Daft Punk, Rush, Pearl Jam etc.

Also do both of the IEMs fit you comfortably?

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #148 of 445
What would you prefer for EDM/Progressive Rock/Classic Rock, if in case you listen to them? Say, Metallica, Daft Punk, Rush, Pearl Jam etc.

Also do both of the IEMs fit you comfortably?
That would require more extensive a/b listening!

I thought I would prefer Crimson for Norah Jones but while the song has more details and soundstage, Jones' voice also comes across too thin. The Monarch brought back the body to her voice at the expense of details and a flatter soundstage.

Both of them are not the easiest to mount in the ears but the Crimson does fit better, for me. YMMV.

One more thing: both are not that easy to drive compared to other IEMs with the Crimson requiring slightly more juice than the Monarch. My guess is it wouldn't matter too much to you but thought I just mention it here.

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #149 of 445
Just a quick update from Headphones.com for those of you waiting in North America. The team at Symphonium Audio went above and beyond and not only got us all of our launch edition units, but also all of our standard edition units so that we can ship to you today!

They're being received by our warehouse as we speak and anyone who ordered from us will be getting tracking emails later today :beyersmile:

I've yet to hear a production unit yet so to say my jealousy is pretty large right now is an understatement! Happy listening everyone! :beerchug:

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back