Symphonium Crimson - Impressions and Reviews (The Next Standard)
Aug 28, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #16 of 445
After an unfortunate delay in my DHL shipping, the Crimson has arrived! #004 checking in.

I was originally concerned about the 8w cable, but while it is a good deal thicker, it is no less supple and flexible than the original 4w Nova. No ear guard, which lets the cable fit around the ear more loosely. The interchangeable connector is very nice too.

Fitment is exactly the same as Helios SE: which is to say, really comfortable. Anyone put off by the fitment of the original Helios can rest assured that these will sit in their ears without nearly as much hassle.

I'll do some sound comparisons and provide some more in depth thoughts as I continue to spend time with these, but right off the bat, here are a few things I've noticed:

- They are slightly easier to drive than the Helios (and the SE). Still need a ton of juice for an IEM, though.

- The bass kicks HARD. It comes in fast and leaves quickly, but not with any lacking punch. Helios SE bass is great too, but Crimson's bass feels more solid and powerful.

- Crimson has a larger soundstage, both in width and depth. It's not a massive difference from SE, but it's definitely noticeable.

- Wow, vocals sound wonderful on this thing. It sounds very pleasant without being over-lush or thick. For those who felt like Helios had a "dry" midrange, I think they would be happier with the Crimson.

- Treble in the Crimson feels sharper and edgier than that in the SE. It is definitely not the same "perfect treble" that the Helios was acclaimed for. Transients are snappy and the decay is the same, though I get a more "in your face" vibe from the Crimson. I can see treble sensitive people getting bothered by this, though tip rolling may change results.

Overall, the Crimson is just nuts. Symphonium has really knocked it out if the park with these. All of the previous positive comments are not shills, these are without a doubt one of the best IEMs under $2000. Definitely worth the blind.

IMG_3301.jpeg
IMG_3304.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #17 of 445
After an unfortunate delay in my DHL shipping, the Crimson has arrived! #004 checking in.

I was originally concerned about the 8w cable, but while it is a good deal thicker, it is no less supple and flexible than the original 4w Nova. No ear guard, which lets the cable fit around the ear more loosely. The interchangeable connector is very nice too.

Fitment is exactly the same as Helios SE: which is to say, really comfortable. Anyone put off by the fitment of the original Helios can rest assured that these will sit in their ears without nearly as much hassle.

I'll do some sound comparisons and provide some more in depth thoughts as I continue to spend time with these, but right off the bat, here are a few things I've noticed:

- They are slightly easier to drive than the Helios (and the SE). Still need a ton of juice for an IEM, though.

- The bass kicks HARD. It comes in fast and leaves quickly, but not with any lacking punch. Helios SE bass is great too, but Crimson's bass feels more solid and powerful.

- Crimson has a larger soundstage, both in width and depth. It's not a massive difference from SE, but it's definitely noticeable.

- Wow, vocals sound wonderful on this thing. It sounds very pleasant without being over-lush or thick. For those who felt like Helios had a "dry" midrange, I think they would be happier with the Crimson.

- Treble in the Crimson feels sharper and edgier than that in the SE. It is dedinitely not the same "perfect treble" that the Helios was acclaimed for. Transients are just as sharp, though I get a more "in your face" vibe from them. I can see treble sensitive people getting bothered by this, though tip rolling may change results.

Overall, the Crimson is just nuts. Symphonium has really knocked it out if the park with these. All of the previous positive comments are not shills, these are without a doubt one of the best IEMs under $2000. Definitely worth the blind.

IMG_3301.jpegIMG_3304.jpeg

Spot on all around! Will you be doing a proper review? Thanks! Here's to 004.

Aug 28, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #18 of 445
Spot on all around! Will you be doing a proper review? Thanks! Here's to 004.
I have not written a proper review on here before, but I am very tempted to try my hand on writing one up in a few weeks. I'll be jotting down some notes on source synergies and other comparisons in the meantime. Curious as to what others have to say about the Crimson.

Aug 29, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #19 of 445
was thinking of buying Helios, but now I would better wait for the new one... Curious about the driver configuration but all I can manage to collect is that driver type is BA (but how many?)
Curious how this compares to the tribrids of the kilobuck range, as well as legendary u12t.

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #20 of 445
was thinking of buying Helios, but now I would better wait for the new one... Curious about the driver configuration but all I can manage to collect is that driver type is BA (but how many?)
Curious how this compares to the tribrids of the kilobuck range, as well as legendary u12t.
Local star, Nymz, has a great initial impressions review and rates it pretty close to U12t (which is his highest ranked along with Anni 2023). Seems like a U12t with some extra “spice”. Also take a look at his ranking list. :3

https://nymzreviews.com/2023/08/29/symphonium-crimson-unboxing-and-impressions/

Also see Smirk’s comments/impressions he was kind to offer here.

Post in thread 'Rank the IEM's you've heard'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rank-the-iems-youve-heard.454855/post-17704042

(I also think it may be a 4 BA setup, if the Symphonium lineup is anything to go by, which is really impressive. Nothing too surprising though, really cool low driver count IEM with incredible performance are showing up a lot recently; proves that implementation is a lot)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #21 of 445
Local star, Nymz, has a great initial impressions review and rates it pretty close to U12t (which is his highest ranked along with Anni 2023). Seems like a U12t with some extra “spice”. Also take a look at his ranking list. :3

https://nymzreviews.com/2023/08/29/symphonium-crimson-unboxing-and-impressions/

Also see Smirk’s comments/impressions he was kind to offer here.

Post in thread 'Rank the IEM's you've heard'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rank-the-iems-youve-heard.454855/post-17704042
oh great to read those. getting me more excited about this new release. one thing that I wonder is that... driver configuration is the basic and the easiest info to reveal but what makes the company to keep it undisclosed even after the product is on the market.

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #22 of 445
oh great to read those. getting me more excited about this new release. one thing that I wonder is that... driver configuration is the basic and the easiest info to reveal but what makes the company to keep it undisclosed even after the product is on the market.
It’s intentional; I think Symphonium are trying to prove a point to some extent, that driver count marketing is a meme(?). They want to see how people receive it on its merits without driver count bias maybe.

It’s just a guess cause otherwise I’m not too certain either.

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #23 of 445
It’s intentional; I think Symphonium are trying to prove a point to some extent, that driver count marketing is a meme(?). They want to see how people receive it on its merits without driver count bias maybe.

hmm makes sense but it is a bold move anyway haha. I noticed that you had MEST mk1 and Monarch mk1 before! those two are my daily drivers and I am thinking of upgrading from them (but I don't think I am gonna sell them even when a new and better toy arrives). I am very curious to hear your impression once you receive your Crimson!

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #24 of 445

I don't really care too much about driver configuration, but I at least like to know what's under the hood. I'm guessing most other gadget nerds feel the same way. If they're worried about lukewarm reactions to a low driver count, I suppose I can understand that. I saw a post recently from someone who was concerned their single driver IEM doesn't measure up to all the IEMs with lots of drivers out there, so that perception might not be uncommon. I'm still intrigued by these anyway.

Aug 29, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #25 of 445
I won't pretend to know why they haven't released the driver count yet, but I don't think that Symphonium is worried about low driver count being a point of criticism. They are quite proud of the sound they are able to produce with 4 BAs and should continue to be.

That said, I am curious for more information on Crimson to be released. My ears will keep me content for now though.

Aug 29, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #26 of 445
Please re read my comments a few posts above as to why we have not released driver count yet.

There is nothing more to it. Thanks!

Aug 29, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #27 of 445

- Treble in the Crimson feels sharper and edgier than that in the SE. It is definitely not the same "perfect treble" that the Helios was acclaimed for. Transients are snappy and the decay is the same, though I get a more "in your face" vibe from the Crimson. I can see treble sensitive people getting bothered by this, though tip rolling may change results.

IMG_3301.jpegIMG_3304.jpeg
Which do you prefer the Helios se or crimson? Also what is that blue cable? My goodness, it’s beautiful

Aug 29, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #28 of 445
Which do you prefer the Helios se or crimson? Also what is that blue cable? My goodness, it’s beautiful
At the moment Crimson has my attention. Seems like a step up in everything except treble so far though, so I'm definitely leaning towards the Crimson.

The blue cable is the Thieaudio Oceania, I believe it's palladium plated pure silver. Really nice modular cable.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #29 of 445
At the moment Crimson has my attention. Seems like a step up in everything except treble so far though, so I'm definitely leaning towards the Crimson.

The blue cable is the Thieaudio Oceania, I believe it's palladium plated pure silver. Really nice modular cable.
Looks stunning. The main attribute got me interested from symphonium helios and crimson was their treble performance. From their graph, they look nicely extended upto the higb frequency region. Can you tell me more how they are different in the treble?
Also, does oceania cable accentuate high frequency? Sorry for bothering with multiple questions.

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #30 of 445
Looks stunning. The main attribute got me interested from symphonium helios and crimson was their treble performance. From their graph, they look nicely extended upto the higb frequency region. Can you tell me more how they are different in the treble?
Both are exceptionally well extended and have tons of air. Crimson feels edgier and peakier than the Helios, though I'd have to A/B test with the same tips and cable. Voices feel crispier on the Crimson, which I feel could become sibilance with the wrong tip combination.

Also, does oceania cable accentuate high frequency? Sorry for bothering with multiple questions.
I'm not the best when it comes to cable comparisons, but compared to the original 4w nova, it's got a larger stage and better separation, which makes transients pop out at me better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back