Sydney Head-fi Meet Impressions (26/10/2008)
Oct 30, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #137 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe you might be the first victim of the meet
bigsmile_face.gif

Lol. I'm the first actually. I bought Covenant's PRO750's on the spot.
tongue.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #138 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know what you mean. I had a friend once who had a shiny red RX-7 (not long after they came out with the updated version - 1990's?). He offered me a drive (as he did for quite a few people) one time we were up in the Snowy Mountains. You know those tiny overtaking stretches on mountain roads that you look at and laugh because they're only useful for motorbikes? You'd drop it down a gear, floor it and remember to steer around the car in front immediately because it had quite a kick - and you'd be back in your lane before the overtaking zone ended. And I can report that 180km/h on a gravel road is exhilarating but ultimately scary even if the road is straight and you can see everything for a couple of kilometres in every direction.

Despite further offers, I never drove that car again. Didn't want to fall victim to its charms...

hehe
biggrin.gif
yeah something like that... nice story man, yes I know the sort of 'overtaking' lane you are talking about
eek.gif
but of course I only pull move's like that on video games .... i'm far too 'mature' these days....not
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #139 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would that help? Sydney is in Australia...
wink.gif

yeah that confused me too
confused.gif
and his first post too!... weird

i'm poisoned from the meet totally; (lisa III) it has sown the seeds for many vegemite sandwiches for dinner. I haven't made the purchase yet, but it's inevitable...
eek.gif
hopefully the dollar recovers a bit and I can get both poisons from the meet; anyone know anything about lisa's new offering? or are we just assuming there is something new in the works?

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #140 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah that confused me too
confused.gif
and his first post too!... weird

i'm poisoned from the meet totally; (lisa III) it has sown the seeds for many vegemite sandwiches for dinner. I haven't made the purchase yet, but it's inevitable...
eek.gif
hopefully the dollar recovers a bit and I can get both poisons from the meet; anyone know anything about lisa's new offering? or are we just assuming there is something new in the works?

The Portacode has been in the works for almost a year now. Don't know how far it has progressed though. But after doing some of my own measurements, it's gonna be too huge to be a transportable amp IMHO. I'll just stick to the Lisa III
tongue.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #141 of 559
For my first meet I gotta say I was very impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness all I spoke to. Nice to meet nice people with nice gear.
I didn't get a chance to hear everything I wanted as I was talking too much, but having said that I probably learnt more doing that than listening to every piece of gear in every conceivable combo. What I did learn tho was that my setup is not so bad after all and the only way to achieve the leap of quality that I want would be to go down the K1000 path. How much are kidneys going for on eBay?
I hear someone has claimed the title of raffle king, but this is a bald face lie as I am raffle king! I won a great LOD cable, A huge chocolate frog which I instantly lost, I stupidly passed on my third prize in the spirit of the moment, but couldn't resist my last prize... an awesome piece of bubble wrap. 4 out of 4.
Thanks to all the people who put in the effort. Hope to do it again before too long.

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #142 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by chilli nimrod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear someone has claimed the title of raffle king, but this is a bald face lie as I am raffle king! I won a great LOD cable, A huge chocolate frog which I instantly lost, I stupidly passed on my third prize in the spirit of the moment, but couldn't resist my last prize... an awesome piece of bubble wrap. 4 out of 4.

I was going to suggest that winning the headphone stand put me in the running for raffle king, but 4 out of 4 - AND the bubble wrap - is pretty hard to beat
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #146 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man i wished i had a listen to the balanced rig.

The benchmark dac to me was a wonderful dac though. Diana Krall sounds wonderful on it. I Wonder if the source file was mp3/Lossless.

Yes, FLAC.

Oct 31, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #147 of 559
Oh yes, before I forget...There was discussion earlier on about differences between Operas HP out and DAC1 HP out.

In normal (means quiet) listening environment (means home with my rig) the difference in quality will literally jumps on me. The Opera sounds significantly better.

I've done a little experiment a while back when I still had woodied Denon 2K. Friend of mine who actually turned these things for me brought his Denons 2K with wood cups made for lawtonaudio (formerly known as markl) to have a listen how these deeper cups will compare to standard size woodies.

Anyway, we did some listening from DAC1 swapping cans around. He went out to make mobile call or something (maybe to grab another beer from the fridge?) and I cunningly plugged one pair into Opera out.

He came back and had another listen, this time saying something like:"
F@#$! These sound so much better now, what the h#ll is going on?
I explained what I did. The guy is audio layman, he knows nothing about external dacs, FLACS and what not else, but he could clearly detect change for better.
beerchug.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #148 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, we did some listening from DAC1 swapping cans around. He went out to make mobile call or something (maybe to grab another beer from the fridge?) and I cunningly plugged one pair into Opera out.

He came back and had another listen, this time saying something like:"
F@#$! These sound so much better now, what the h#ll is going on?
I explained what I did. The guy is audio layman, he knows nothing about external dacs, FLACS and what not else, but he could clearly detect change for better.
beerchug.gif

Interesting anecdote! I would be very interested in doing this experiment under volume-matched and quiet listening conditions, but the logistics are potentially challenging.

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #149 of 559
I have to say the Bijou 2 really do benefit from:
a) A bit of EQ :p (drop the bass, particularly 100-300Hz)
b) Some burn-in

I'll have to leave them burning in for the next few nights I reckon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back