Sydney/Blue Mountain Meet 11/07/10 Impressions!
Jul 12, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #17 of 64
Ok, so some impressions:

The Dac1 > GS-1 > AKG K702 rig sounded far better than I expected it to. Considering the components I expected it to sound fairly dry and analytical (which really isnt my cuppa), but spinning some Infected Mushroom made those AKGs sing! It seems there's truth to theAKG burn-in myth as well, as of the two pairs that were there the newer set sounded noticably lifeless and bass deficient in comparison.

That new tube amp really impressed me. I'm afraid I've forgotten the names of the father & son designers, but man it was a special combo with the HD800. With the HD600 it was at least as good as my Burson, if not possibly better - difficult to split hairs under meet conditions. By the way, I think I left my Shpongle CD in the optical drive of your Mac :p

The portable ES10 sounded surprisingly good as well. It seemed to have more grit and oomph than the woody ESW10, its highly-lacquered predecessor, which is a good thing. It looks damn good while worn as well. I might have to buy a pair with my tax return as my new portable.

Whoever made the touchscreen Eepc set into a picture frame, kudos to you! Way cool idea :)

Other than that, this meet was more about catching up with friends for me than auditioning gear. Seeing the crew again and talking about our reclusive hobby is the true reward :D

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #18 of 64
Hi! More thanks John!

I got lucky with the Grados, thank you Erwin for them.

Well, Now I have no choice than go for the HD800s Balanced... LOL

What DAC/AMP??? will take me a lot of reading / listening to decide, time for the wallet to recover
L3000.gif

As I've mentioned I'm new so it was hard to ask much around when I didn't have a clue of anything.

The little I did ask I got great feedback! Thanks once again to All.

Cheers, Yogui.

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #19 of 64
Elliot42 posted:-

Quote:
Tom showing just how stylish the K1000s can be:

I doubt that the term "stylish" was meant to have such an elastic definition.
Let's just be thankful that Tom wasn't caught wearing the Ergo AMT's.
There's just so much a camera can handle.

Glad to see everyone had a good meet.

Regards, Erwin.

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #20 of 64
Here are the pics I promised~

Things to look out for:

-> The host with the most (he was great at serving soup!)
-> Erwin's (wink) spread of every can known to man
-> Jeremy (qusp) working on the Soviet era particle accelerator
-> The beginnings of the ref8 vs sabre shootout which was interrupted by a number of things, namely pizza
-> The most awesome Tupperware passive preamp
-> The 1.5inch thick t-bones that Jeremy cook for lunch the next day
-> Me not looking like a moron wearing the k1000... ahem

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

IMG_1300.JPG

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1304.JPG

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1309.JPG

IMG_1310.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #22 of 64
Opps triple post.

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #23 of 64
nattonrice posted:-

Quote:
Oi! Just 'cause I made them look awesome  =P

"Awesome" - Now, there's a term which is very elastic in it's usage.
Did you try on the Ergo's, or were the papparazzi hot on your trail?
Teach you to go to Genova Italy, and drag that riffraff back here..........

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #24 of 64
i'm curious to know how much of a difference you could discern between the two versions of the K1000.

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #25 of 64
PhaedrusX posted:-

Quote:
i'm curious to know how much of a difference you could discern between the two versions of the K1000.

Believe me, Phaedrus, the difference is very noticeable.
John once described it along the lines of the bass light K1000's only reproducing half the music.
That's a tad harsh, but you would see what he's getting at if you tried both in close succcession.
Nevertheless, both are great in the top end and midrange.

regards, Erwin.

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #26 of 64
thanks Erwin.

is there an established serial number range in which the "bass heavy" version lies?
what information i have read has been pretty murky and inconclusive.

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #28 of 64
It was a fun meet guys, great to meet you all! :)
I spent most of my time in the basement, so I missed out on whatever is upstairs, oops ><

The bass heavy K1000 has a more airy soundstage compared to bass light, I found both uncomfortable to wear for extended periods

Cans that I liked:

- The HD800 balanced (silky smooth on classical)
- W5000 (Basshead galore and female vocals, tops on comfort)
- D5000 (Punchy and more clarity than the W5000)
- HE60 (I can see my life savings diminish..)

This may sound harsh but I was doing A-B most of the time with my JH13s wired to Tom's solid core silver, trying to find a set of cans that would compliment to my listening style, and mostly failed -.-

What happened with the Ultrasones? I was keen on trying them out

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #29 of 64
Hi Guys, just got home, many will know that although I was there I pretty much missed the meet down in john's mancave, pizza afterwards was really the first time I sat back, relaxed and got to catch up with you guys, whilst stuffing some of the most amazing pizza i've had in a while (although ours could have used something to give it some kick, it was tasty indeed.) hilight of this event apart from my pizza, was watching in astonishment as Justin inhaled a large pizza to himself without taking a breath in half the time it took the rest of us to finish a medium, 

if I stood back from my man on a mission thing long enough to try some of the great gear again, perhaps I would have noticed that in my last minute effort to render the build electrically safe for more than myself (I installed a quick and a little bit rough star ground on the output which I would have left floating if just for me) when soldering 2 more 18AWG solid copper wires to the IEC ground terminal; I knocked the hot wire off that was supplying the Sigma 22 power supply and as a result, buffalo II and its ackodac IV stage had no power. (not double amping BTW as someone suggested, the acko IV is doing just that; IV conversion and filtering HF garbage off the signal before amping to gain best DNR and supply correct line level output, well actually I omitted the last filter stage for better damping and drive into low impedance, as I modified it for use direct into my JH13) 

basically had someone asked me if I was sure that it was plugged in (despite the glowing LEDs on the headamps) they would not have been far off base :redface: somebody slap me next time they see me trying to do serious work on no sleep

anyway a good time was had by all, nice to met some more of my customers face to face as it normally is and great to meet up again with you guys in an environment that I dont feel  at least completely nuts for the lengths I go to for this 'hobby'

thanks to everyone involved, especially John and his amazingly tolerant wife, Erwin for all the gear and I can only say sorry I didnt provide another sabre for the showdown (hpz it can sound VERY different to the somewhat dry DAC 1 IMO) and i'm all for the idea of having the next meet when we all have some more builds totally finished, the dac I had frankenstined yesterday would not have been an accurate representation of the finial build anyway as it was a totally different dac and IV stage.
perhaps we should have the first a diy only meet ??

glad the low profile LOD went to a good home, sorry I didnt even get around to putting any of my portable gear and cable products out for others to hear, next year i'll remember. Last year there wasnt actually such interest in portable gear, perhaps its customs that are driving the gain in popularity?? last year I left 2.5K portable rigs on the table without much interest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back