Sydney/Blue Mountain Meet 11/07/10 Impressions!
Jul 11, 2010 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
First off, many many thanks to John for his hospitality in hosting the meet at his place this year. The soup, pizza, coffee, tim tams and oreos were all awesome :D

There were a couple of standouts in this meet for me, but I'll post impressions tomorrow when I'm less exhausted and more coherent. Just wanted to get the thread kicked off and to thank John once more.

Also, thanks Tom for entering that iBasso I won into the raffle. Much appreciated :D

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 64
Hehe share the love I say  =)

The meet was pure win. I'll put up some pics in a while.

Big thanks to John and his very patient wife who looked after us in every way.

As usual I spent most time talking and socializing... which for me is what meets are for =P

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 64
No worries guys! It was a fab meet and good to catch up with everyone again. 

I forgot to give out the cake, cheese and crackers... sorry!

Jeremy you left a blue lid tupperware box behind
eek.gif
 with lots of goodies inside!

I have a cd case someone also left behind... Dream theatre, John williams & Julian Bream Classical Guitar (nice) etc... 

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 64
THANKS ERWIN (wink)
for your generosity, without your gear the meet
would not nearly have been as successful.
 ​
K1000 LIGHT, K1000 BASS HEAVY, HD800, JVC HA DX 1000, PS1000, GS1000, ALESSANDRO, DT880, HD650, K702, ATH W-5000, ERGO AMT, HE 60, SR404, LAMBDA NOVA SIGNATURE, DAC MAGIC, PLUGS, ADAPTERS, CABLES AND WHATEVER ELSE I MISSED PLUS...​
THE MONGREL 
 ​
beerchug.gif

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 64
Thanks very much to John and family for hosting.

A great first meet for me. Great to meet people and try lots of different gear.

What did I like:

T1 on John's Balanced β22
HeadAmp GS-1 running 702 - I will have to retry my 701's
qusp's 'slightly' modded D10
HE-60
Audio-gd ref 8

A lot to take in - not sure it has helped with working out next steps for my system - too many different paths to take!

Thanks again John.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 64
Thank you John for putting on the meet, I had a great time, good catching up with you all. Although next time we definitely have to organise a meet AFTER we all have DIY builds finished :p
Thank you to John's wife for the yummy lunch as well, and thank you Erwin for all the amazing headphones, I enjoyed trying the K1000s and the HE60s and marveling at the Mongrel :)
And thank you for the AD2000s from the raffle (who's were they, I forgot to find out?), I'm listening to them right now.

And to get the photos going, let me share the one photo I took today; Tom showing just how stylish the K1000s can be:

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 64
Thanks John and Erwin and all people came to the meet. I've heard something which I never imagine before. 

It is a excellent first time meet for me. A lot of thanks to all people attended :)

Also thanks for the Tiny apple port adapter of raffle :)

My personal comment of the headphones.

Best for symphony: HE60, HD800 with balanced cable, K1000 (base heavy)
Best for Piano: PS1000, HE60(?), MPRO, K1000
Best for gal vocal: W5000, DT880PRO, HD800(?)....To be honest, I'm stunning of the performance of HD800.....

Anyway, it is a really good meet for me! I have more hint of build up my system now. Thanks everyone again:)

Jul 11, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 64

Quote:
And thank you for the AD2000s from the raffle (who's were they, I forgot to find out?), I'm listening to them right now.

Raffle:
Erwin donated the the AD2000, Floats and Grados.
Tom donated the iBasso amp
Jeremy donated the ipod/iphone lod.

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 64
Just like to say thanks for the fantastic day! Thanks so much for hosting John, the soup was great and the company was fantastic.

Thanks Erwin for the collection of phones- the K1000 bass heavy were the highlight for me.

The HD800/B22 were special, but perhaps too perfect for the tunes I listen to...although I didn't do as much listening as I should have

I'll post some pictures once I am home from work, the Jeremy at work collection is sweet though!

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 64
Thanks for the Fantastic meet John and thank you to your wife for the great food :)

I would like to say that the HD800/B22/B32s combo was my favourite set up.  The speed, imaging and instrument separation were excellent.  On the other hand, the balanced T1s seemed to have a slight more emphasis on the treble.  The sound of the T1s seemed alittle edgy/grainy but perhaps that was due to lack of burn in (apparently only 20hrs), they also had a bit more bass impact than the HD800s.

I was intending to build a Buffalo II for my JH13 setup up, but did a comparison between the B32s and my BM DAC1 and I must say the differences weren't really night and day.  The B32s had a subtle smoothness in the highs and mids, and the bass was similar to the DAC1. 

I also wanted to listen to the AKG K1000s, first time I've ever heard it and I have to say they sound ALOT better than they look LOL.  (Also they can be driven so-so by a Maverick D1, about 2-3 o'clock volume )

Another surprise were the Denon D7000. A very 'fun' sounding phone with plenty of impacting bass, great for rock/pop music.  It was pretty good with instrumentals too.

The HE60s for me were alittle too warm, Great for slower songs, though it was running through music i was unfamiliar with.

All in all i'm pretty satisfied with my setup and hopefully see you all at the next meet :)

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 64
Owen you person! hehe  =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back