Switching from CRT to LCD.....Suggestions???
Dec 20, 2007 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

spaceman

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking to replace my 19" ViewSonic G71f+ CRT for a LCD. I don't do any gaming. Most of the time is spent on internet, spreadsheets, and digital photography. Would like to keep it around $300. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Dec 20, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 23
definitely go widescreen. samsung makes good displays in that price range

Dec 20, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 23
I've owned ViewSonic and Samsung LCD screens and love them. It is out of production, but I use a ViewSonic VP201b on the desktop. I prefer it to many others because it offers a 1600x1200 resolution. I would go for the biggest resolution possible since it pays off when working with digital photos.

Dec 20, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 23
Widescreen for sure X2 also samsung X2

I have a samsung now and cant complain. My wifes best friend has had horrible luck with viewsonic. But alot of other friends love their viewsonic, so I dunno what to say about them.

Your best bet is to watch the sales from now till new years. Newegg is a great place online if you dont have a b&m close to you. Either way try to stay with a brand name, you will be happier.

Edit: oh yeah.. 22" will prolly be your best bet for the price. I would not go smaller then that since you are coming from a 19 crt.

Dec 20, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking to replace my 19" ViewSonic G71f+ CRT for a LCD. I don't do any gaming. Most of the time is spent on internet, spreadsheets, and digital photography. Would like to keep it around $300. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

I'm going to shamelessly hijack the thread with a similar question.
smily_headphones1.gif

Coming from a Sony 19" CRT and does the occasional gamings (Oblivion, HoMM V, NWN 2, etc). No specific budget yet but don't mind going high if that means I will be happy with it for a long long time.

Cheers!

Dec 20, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 23
All the viewsonic displays I've ever seen in person looked great. I have an Acer AL2223Wd. You can see my review of it at Customer Reviews Of Acer AL2223Wd Black-Silver 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP Support 300 cd/m2 800:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

My nickname there is Seph965.

edit: Actually I'll just copy & paste it over. That makes more sense.

Pros: Huge! Cheap. DVI. No dead pixels. Very little backlight bleed. Now that the colors are fixed it looks great

Cons: 16:10 not 16:9. Colors are TERRIBLE out of the box! Very limited vertical viewing angle(The colors change quite a bit if you aren't looking at it straight on). Not very sharp or crisp so it's not great for text.

Other Thoughts: Overall it's a good monitor for the price, but I wasn't quite as impressed as I expected from the rest of the reviews. It took me three days to get the colors perfect and it couldn't be done with the monitor's settings alone.(Had to use the color correction in my video card drivers as well.) But the colors still look wrong if I'm not looking at the screen from the perfect angle.

Dec 20, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 23
Gonna edit your photos as well? Then the quality of the colors will matter and you should get a monitor with a S-IPS panel.

95% of the monitors produced today are TN panels, they're cheap and 'fast', but they lack the quality that you're used to on your CRT.

Actually, you should always go with a monitor with a S-IPS panel, if you can afford it. They do cost more than a normal TN panel.

I really like Philips new 200P7ES. See if you can find it cheap.

Good luck!

Edit: Seems like Philips ships it with a P-MVA display in the US. Not as good, but still better than a TN display.

Dec 20, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 23
Dec 20, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 23
Samsung, Samsung, Samsung. Oh, and even if you don't get a Samsung, whatever you get make sure it's HDCP compliant!!!!!!

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #11 of 23
i was looking around a month or so back for a new screen. i was going from a sony 19 lcd which had bad clouding. I really think lcd will never have a black like a crt but i am nowhere near a lcd expert to say anything but my limited opinion.

if you throw another $200ish on that price you can walk away with a 32 lcd tv and use it for your screen. i figured i would never get a perfect picture so i did what most men do anyway..made up for the lack of with size..or something.

after getting used to the 32 screen i can tell you i will never go back to anything lower size no matter the quality..its the way to view a computer!

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was looking around a month or so back for a new screen. i was going from a sony 19 lcd which had bad clouding. I really think lcd will never have a black like a crt but i am nowhere near a lcd expert to say anything but my limited opinion.

if you throw another $200ish on that price you can walk away with a 32 lcd tv and use it for your screen. i figured i would never get a perfect picture so i did what most men do anyway..made up for the lack of with size..or something.

after getting used to the 32 screen i can tell you i will never go back to anything lower size no matter the quality..its the way to view a computer!

How far from the screen do you normally sit at?

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #13 of 23
Ohh god, not another convert!

Imo you should find a FW900 if you can, they are the best computer monitor you can get. Has the advantage of wide screen and high resolutions with the pros of a CRT (Rez changing, accurate color, 85hz refresh, custom raster sizing, perfect black).

Thing is though, you should only get one if you can find it on craigslist or local. Not that buying off of ebay is bad, but it's rather risky, as these things weigh a lot, so if you had to return it shipping would be a lot.

And if you still cant find one I would recommend a 1080 plasma TV before a LCD.

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How far from the screen do you normally sit at?

this is a really bad pic I just snapped. i busted the shelf that holds the keyboard on it so this is temporary. funny part is I am so close that in order to view read some text from left to the right of the screen i actually have to move my head from one side to the other. i usually have the keyboard in my lap a few feet off while i am reclining. you can see the dac1-usb in the lower let corner...
messypc.jpg

i know i need to clean the area...
tongue.gif

Dec 20, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to go the Samsung direction, check this out.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1(DC 3000:1) - Retail

I have this monitor and I can't be happier with it. Also, the people of Newegg seem to like it also.

I just went from my trusted 17" NEC CRT to this exact monitor about two weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Wish I had done it sooner actually. I highly recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back