Switching DC side of o22
Mar 25, 2010 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Horio

100+ Head-Fier
So I am looking to build a pair of o22 in dual-mono to power a B22 and EHHA. I am trying to figure out a feasible way to switch the DC side of the o22's between the two amps. There would be two 8 pole speakOn connecters (one running between each of the amps) so you could do the switching from the front panel. I've read that using a relay in this configuration could cause damage to the o22 due to momentary short behavior (loose the sigma's soft start behavior). Perhaps I could run a couple of soft-start type circuits between the DC side and the Amps? Any ideas or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You risk damaging the σ22 if you switch its output. The σ22 website has warnings against this.

I've read this in other threads as well, but I was wondering if there was a way around this such as implementing some sort of soft-start circuit between the DC out of the o22 and the amp boards.

Perhaps this is just not a real feasible option...

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having a hard time understanding this (the problem and the proposed solution).

Why can you not switch the DC outputs of the Sigma22?

By design, σ22 has no output current limit protection in order to allow very large output current peaks. If the σ22 is already powered up, connecting it to a load that has rail capacitance (as most amp boards have) will cause a current surge that looks to the σ22 like a momentary short circuit. Depending on the amount of capacitance this might be enough to blow out the σ22's MOSFETs or output resistors.

This is not a problem when switching the AC mains side, because σ22 itself has a nice soft-start characteristic and will charge any load capacitance gracefully.

Quote:

Just power the Sigma22 down before doing so and you won't have a problem correct?

Correct, but user error could easily make this a less-than-desirable solution.

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Horio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read this in other threads as well, but I was wondering if there was a way around this such as implementing some sort of soft-start circuit between the DC out of the o22 and the amp boards.

Perhaps this is just not a real feasible option...

The very act of "adding" anything between the σ22 and its load will adversely affect the performance of the power supply. Even a little bit of resistance will degrade the load regulation.

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 13
So effectively the only viable switching solution is powering down and reconnecting the umbilicals to the new load. Is there a certain amount of time the σ22 must be left in it’s power down state?

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 13
If you want to get really fancy, you can design a time-delayed relay switch that will first power down the S22, then switch DC outputs, and power the S22 back up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The very act of "adding" anything between the σ22 and its load will adversely affect the performance of the power supply. Even a little bit of resistance will degrade the load regulation.

... including an umbilical cable?
popcorn.gif

I've convinced myself on this subject I suppose, but couldn't resist the comment
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #13 of 13
Yes, the umbilical cable resistance could degrade load regulation, and that is why I recommend thick cables for long runs. But here we're typically talking about milli-ohms range, whereas any sort of "soft start" circuit in series with the PSU's DC output would be quite a bit more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back