Switch to High End Headphones from IEMs
Dec 28, 2008 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

canadianbif

Head-Fier
Im used to IEM's but I want to get a set of really good headphones and the pairs that ive found so far are:

Grado RS-2
Grado SR-325i
Sennheiser HD-650
Denon AH-D5000
Beyerdynamic DT-990
AKG K-701
Sony MDR-SA5000

I've found those all on amazon for no more than $550, which is roughly my limit, but I could push it to $600, but I would like to stay under $500 if I could

I have an amp, the iBasso D3, and i dont plan on spending any more money on another one, but I do also have an Onkyo Reciever.

I've been reading about the difference between open and closed headphones and closed sounds way more appealing to me, i feel like ill hear everything going on outside of the music if I wear open sets.

I need the set to be very comfortable to wear over long periods of time like the Sennheiser 650s look really comfortable but the Grados look like they would hurt after like 5 minutes.

Now, im asking for opinions on these earphones like if i should rule any our right away, or if there is a better pair that im just not seeing. I also prefer treble over bass if i had to choose

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 15
I don't know which IEMs you're used to, but I'm switching over from ER-4P/S (which I still love, and use on my commute on the subway) to Denon D5000s at home. Pretty different experience, to say the least, heh.

They're very, very comfortable, on my head at least. No problems there.

They are closed, but nowhere NEAR as closed as IEMs, just to warn you. You can definitely hear some outside noise. I wouldn't bother wearing these on the subway, for instance (aside from the fact that they're, you know, humongous). But at home they isolate fine.

Regarding the bass/treble, I would have said the same that you said -- treble over bass. And if you'd asked me after about 50 hours of burn-in, I'd have told you to forget the Denons. The bass was so overwhelming and the treble so murky that I was pretty sure I was going to have to ditch them. But after about 200 hours, the bass has chilled out (though it's still very present) and the treble is now there and detailed.

I don't know if you'd like the Denons, but I most definitely do. My ER4P/S are still far more detailed, especially in the treble. But in terms of bass, where the ER4P/S sort of "indicate" bass, the Denons produce it so you can feel it. Hope this helps some.

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 15
Im coming from se530s and custom sleeks, and though i love my se530s, i really wish there was more detailed treble. I really wish i could get the hd-650s, can anybody tell me if they can be driven from the iBasso D3 or is it just not worth it?

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im coming from se530s and custom sleeks, and though i love my se530s, i really wish there was more detailed treble. I really wish i could get the hd-650s, can anybody tell me if they can be driven from the iBasso D3 or is it just not worth it?

The HD-650 is an excellent headphone, though I haven't heard a portable amp drive it anywhere near its potential. If you picked up a used one, you could buy several good desktop amps to power it and stay within your budget.

What kind of music do you listen to? That's one of the biggest factors in deciding what headphone you should buy.

Also, would you consider buying used? If so, you can add the Grado RS-1 to the list. You can also save a lot of money buying others on the list used.

Are you totally opposed to buying an amp? Several of the headphones you listed really benefit from a desktop amp and won't sound very good with a portable. Your Onkyo receiver might power them well, but I'm not familiar with it.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #8 of 15
1. If you want noise cancellation, invest in IEMs. Passive isolation trumps active isolation, and the best passive isolation comes from IEMs.

2. I'd strongly advise against spending half a thousand dollars on your first set of full-sized phones; you'd be far better off with something in the $100-$200 range to help you determine what turns you on and off first.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 15
i already have iems: the se530s and a set of customs which are great for portability and they sound really good too but im thinking of getting the HD-650 (my opinion has changed) and getting a better amp this summer. From what ive read, the hd-650s have good sound without an amp or with a small amp but they sound fantastic with a big amp. So i figure, ill use them with my ibasso d3 until summer and then really see their full potential. I prefer treble over bass but mids trump both of those.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #10 of 15
HD650 are difficult to drive and pretty much require an amp that can provide it with a lot of power.

Lucky's suggestion is a good one. If you blow all your cash on an expensive pair of headphones and don't like them... you could be in trouble.

There are many, many good headphones in the $100-200 range.

Edit: It's also important to note that full-size headphones of a modest price point can and usually do beat expensive earphones in terms of sound quality. I still haven't found a pair of earphones, regardless of cost, that sound better than my AD700s.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #11 of 15
here's an idea:

Since your budget is from 500-600, & if you sell your D3 at F/S forum, you'd get at least 150 dollars, and end up with a 650-750 budget.

That could get you a nice combination of desktop amp + headphone.

This is of course, assuming that you wish to keep your D3 for portable reasons... but without any IEMs, I personally see no point, unless you want to be commuting with the headphones listed above.

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #12 of 15
thanks for the suggestion, but i use my d3 with my IEMs. Ok so, im going to change what im looking for

Best headphones that sound good without an amp but can be improved with an amp. Price range: 300-500

Because right now, i have enough for a really good set of headphones but soon, i will have enough for an amp, so if i buy an ok set of headphones and an ok amp, when i do get the extra money, i will regret not having gotten the top of the line equipment

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #13 of 15
I'd get an HD-650 or a D2000. Both have a lot of room to grow over time.

Check out Lawton Audio (If you haven't already) for some info on how well the D2000/5000/7000 can grow with some modifications. Personally, I'm thinking (in a couple months) of doing a D2000 with some wooden cups and the "markl mods". Then later down the road a recable (or maybe a temporary cheap D5000 recable when I do the other two).

I think I'll save something like the HD-650 for when I have more info on good desktop amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back