Switch from xin reference to pico?
Jan 24, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #16 of 34
That's whats been my big deterrent Takezo!

Yes its, listening is so mood oriented for me I have had days when my Toma and UM-2's sounded like crap and then I've had days when I just can't believe the SQ out of this combo!

I would imagine this same thing occurs for many but around here who wants to admit that :-0

My old addage is most people are as happy as they have made up their minds to be. In the long run any music is better than no music or even more importantly silence.

I've never heard any system/setup that did not have at least a couple limitations and I mean none. All music is good if you consider its source you can adjust for those shortcomings and still be connected to it.

I have had/changed many systems in 50 years but my media collection has only grown which afterall is the main reason I'm even in this hobby:wink:

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stay your course...

a friend has both and he's advised me that, purely on SQ alone, the xin is
on a higher level...both had been fully burned in...

both are based on the AD8379 chip but of course implementation is everything...

now, only if the dr. can clean up his "business" practices and put a stop to
these sad long waits...

Not sure if Xin use AD8379 in the Reference. The project "Reference" should be a spin off from the SuperMicro IV when Xin found a special implementation of what he called "tube-opamp" - to produce the unique tube like sound from a solid state portable.

Xin is the first designer I know who pioneer AD8397 but that was back in the early days of SuperMini III ?

As yes, for my ears the Reference sounds better than the Pico. It is a different character than do not need a pair of golden ears to spot. Actually it is not easy to sound better than the Reference and for my own pair of ears only the LISA III XP is comparable - as far as battery powered amps are concerned, but even the LISA III XP cannot offer than "tube-like" sound which is so unique in Xin's creation.

F. Lo

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #18 of 34
The Reference doesn't use the AD8397. The evolution of the Reference did/has taken a while. I have listened to many versions and while they are all good, the current version is the best and even though the circuit is small the power out from those chips is surprising. As many of you know, the enoloop batteries are a must for their ultra low internal resistance.

I have been using the Predator and the Reference the last few days. The Reference with the alkaline batteries I put in because I ran the enoloops down and my other ones are in another Ref. sound grainy and yeck in comparison.

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #20 of 34
Yea,
Thanks for helping me decide what I should do.
I decided to continue waiting because I already invested too much time to give up. I ordered a NOS sony player from ALO audio to keep me busy while I wait. And also I'm trying to find out if I can apply a 5G imod mod to my 4G iMod because I really want that v-Cap in the circuit!

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #21 of 34
good call! who knows if you'll like the reference, we all have different ears. but why back out now? you can always sell it and get your costs back. Heck, buy a pico as well, and then let us know what you think!
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #22 of 34
I would if I had the $$$ but I don't have a job so I'm pretty broke right now. Still, when I get my reference, I'll post a review of it compared to my go-vibe v5 and compare my e500's to my sennheisers and also my iMod to the vintage sony cd player that I ordered.

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiezan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would if I had the $$$ but I don't have a job so I'm pretty broke right now. Still, when I get my reference, I'll post a review of it compared to my go-vibe v5 and compare my e500's to my sennheisers and also my iMod to the vintage sony cd player that I ordered.

good! but you better get off here quick if you intend to keep that attitude! I hope you get your reference soon

Jan 25, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

What do you guys think of the pico amp + dac?

If my house was on fire I'd make damn sure my Pico made it out.
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #27 of 34
Has anyone really compared the iMod + vCap to the pico and its dac?

I'm thinking of selling off all I bought for my iMod and just settle with a pico because the iMod was never that portable to begin with.

Jan 25, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If my house was on fire I'd make damn sure my Pico made it out.
biggrin.gif

LOL
2 weeks ago (or three), fire alarm in my apartment is suddenly turned on, and then further instruction to evacuate the building is mentioned via speaker...
Panic & Chaos everywhere... in short reflect my hand reach every important items around my room then I run via Fire exit (43 level down... gosh...)

Later, it turned out to be false alarm (thanks God)... then without my realization, I found my iMod + Xin SMIIIv6 + Yuin PK-1 is inside my rescue bag.
And I realize I leave all other headphone stuff behind (K701, Heed, iBasso D1, etc) lol

wonder what will happen if I have pico
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Has anyone really compared the iMod + vCap to the pico and its dac?

I'm thinking of selling off all I bought for my iMod and just settle with a pico because the iMod was never that portable to begin with.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/v-c...c-true-288995/

To tell the truth I never even thinking to order Xin reference, I am really happy with my mini^3, but the famous frustrations thread caught my attention so I ordered one about six week ago.

Anyway I just want to say that I don't understand all the waiting frustrations!
confused.gif

Nobody forcing you to play Dr. Xin game called: "Do you have guts to wait 12 month!?"

The solution very easy! If you don't order one - you never get one!
So placed order on your credit card and forget about it! It never happened! It was a dream!
Then go and buy Pico or....?

And when the Day will come let your ears decide which amp needs to go!

Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back